Misleading Ads on the Site

Mastergalen

(There really isn't any appropriate forum pertaining to the site itself, so I'm hoping this forum is ok.)

Recently, these misleading ads have appeared on the site, right next to the download buttons for the Technic Launcher and information pages on the modpacks themselves such as Voltz.

They look like this:

NITed9T.png

As you may imagine, any newbies to Technic may get mislead by these ads and landing at http://dl.modhosting.net/, Once they download and install the software, their PC is infected with spyware or whatever.

Please block these ads from the site, as it is one of the reasons people use AdBlock in the first place.

• Moderators

Did you PM one of the staff? Things might move faster that way... Or tweet them this thread. It's the holidays, so I wouldn't be surprised if the staff is celebrating and stuff moves a bit slow until after new year...

I wonder how long it will take before the first bug reports with "Technic is a malware!" rolls in... it has happened before, it will happen again.

Yea, its not as easy as flipping a switch, they have to file a report with the ad provider (Likely Google, I think) and then Google takes measures to remove the ad from circulation.

Although that does bring up the point that you should always read all the details, as it does say "Advertisement" Down at the bottom :P

They can be blocked quickly, true. But they need to be reported as well so the malware serving ads can be removed, instead of just letting them get around the blocking by re-serving the same ad by telling the automated system it's a different one.

And some of these are blatantly malicious. When I turned off adblock the platform frontpage kept trying to redirect me to a different server.

the site uses adsense to help cover costs. I believe that does not allow them to control the ads that appear in the spaces allocated for ads however. So not sure even the staff can do anything.

I just posted before that it is...

It's actually very easy to do (I blocked the ads from my own sites as well), as Google has a control panel where you can block ads from appearing on your page with a few mouse clicks.

https://www.google.com/adsense/app#allowAndBlockAds (You obviously will nedd to have an AdSense account first).

*facepalm* Love the irony of your statement...

That review centre is for site owners (like Technic) to control what ads appear on their site.

you're missing the point that given the volunteer staff that already moderate the site, now you want more work devoted to moderating every single ad that appears on the site.

you're missing the point that given the volunteer staff that already moderate the site, now you want more work devoted to moderating every single ad that appears on the site.

I doubt he wants something that robust and effort-intense. He's basically just pointing out that it's possible for the staff to block malicious ads.

put your pitchfork and torch away, he's pointing out a legit issue in a respectful way. nobody wants ads like these making downloading the launcher harder than it needs to be. fact is that there are things the admin staff can do and it's been brought to their attention so that they are able to do so.

put your pitchfork and torch away, he's pointing out a legit issue in a respectful way. nobody wants ads like these making downloading the launcher harder than it needs to be. fact is that there are things the admin staff can do and it's been brought to their attention so that they are able to do so.

According to the conversation with SCT there's not a whole lot to do as like any ad service you set it and forget it. The admin staff should not have to police individual ads. And the manner in which the staff chooses ad groups, no its not as easy as you all keep making out to be if the ad simply gets fed via another group.

According to the conversation with SCT there's not a whole lot to do as like any ad service you set it and forget it. The admin staff should not have to police individual ads. And the manner in which the staff chooses ad groups, no its not as easy as you all keep making out to be if the ad simply gets fed via another group.

Perhaps, god forbid, sct was incorrect. After all, he's only human.

...sct is human, right?

Right?

One of my coworkers said thats a game he plays online, and was acting as if he was all mysterious for playing this game that nobody else had heard of. I then proceeded to mention that was the game that got in trouble for using the Adult only rating without having actually, you know, earned it XD. Good times, his reaction.

Good times...

But regardless, as said, Google servers ads up by batches from providers, and their providers will lose ten malicious ads, and make a hundred more to replace it. It can be blocked with consistent vigilence, but this is a volunteer bit, and with the average intelligence of some of the people we get, I couldn't imagine being here all the time worth it regardless of the money XD

the point i was trying to make was its alot more work to have to police the ads provided by a service on top of already moderating a forum etc... The whole point to using the service is to be able to simply choose your flavors and let it run. Adsense "should" according to their TOS for creating an ad to send thru them has to be malware free and submit to a scan as such in order to be distributed etc... This same scan is mentioned on the site when you setup a usage of their service as well. They are the ones supposed to do the dirty work of keeping the ads malware free.