High Performance Computer: Only 10-15 FPS PLEASE HELP

Lethal_JV

So this is the link to that video keep in mind I am doing some video work since I need to start putting videos out again but I believe this all the proof I need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhpM8CTnUJo&feature=youtu.be

I like how you didn't record it using a screen-capture program, but used some janky handheld thing instead.

well you see with the limited CPU power i have I don’t want to be stressing my comp more than i have to except for doing videos that’s actually worth it and my phone auto compresses it for youtube so it was a much faster means of getting it out of my way because im not losing this :)

And I need to be careful with what i do my actually gaming laptop im looking into is about 1.1k that’s a long way away so I don’t need this one breaking down till then and even after wards as this will become a video editing laptop and a backup for them

Then do a bloody benchmark when you're not doing video stuff in the background.

All you've gone and proven now is that you're running the game at 15 fps with your specs.

That's like testing the top speed and acceleration of a sports car when you've got a metric ton of concrete in the boot.

as i said im doing video stuff in the background which is taking up a ton of resources atm

20 FPS while the game is literally paused, in a menu. 10-14 while playing in an empty world. what does this prove other than you don't get 60+ FPS? this is the same FPS the OP was claiming with similar albeit slightly better hardware. so congrats on having barely playable FPS, I guess?

edit: watched the rest of the video, I see you are running at a resolution barely above 720p. if OP got his laptop anytime in the recent past, it's running at a native resolution of 1080p.

so yes, not only are you not getting the FPS you claimed, you're running it at a lower resolution as well. don't give me this "I was doing video in the background!" BS. honestly not believing that is giving you the benefit of the doubt, because if it's true that's even worse.

Unfortunately, despite having a pretty good computer, I still frequently end up with only 40 or so FPS, sometimes I drop as low as 10 when there's a lot of stuff in a chunk.

For reference my specs are:

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850

Monitor 1: Projector hooked up via HDMI running at 720p

Monitor 2: Vizo razor 20" hooked up via VGA cable

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T processor running at it's native 3.30 GHz

Storage: 2.3 TB

Ram: 16 Gig Dual channel DDR2 running at, oh, I think it was 1600 (not terribly high as ram goes but not excessively slow either)

Motherboard: This one I don't actually recall and the box is..... somewhere.......

Operating System: Windows 7 professional 64-bit

Java: Version 7 revision 51 (64 bit)

Graphics drivers: Not quite the latest since a new one came out a couple days ago and I haven't bothered to update yet.

I also get this wonderfully annoying bug in which java likes to suddenly shut down with an error referencing my graphics driver for no apparent reason (complete reinstalls of both the drivers and the computer at one point have failed to fix this problem)

I've generally come to the conclusion that Minecraft and Java hate my computer. Either that or it's haunted, I'm not sure which.

Unfortunately, despite having a pretty good computer, I still frequently end up with only 40 or so FPS, sometimes I drop as low as 10 when there's a lot of stuff in a chunk.

For reference my specs are:

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850

Monitor 1: Projector hooked up via HDMI running at 720p

Monitor 2: Vizo razor 20" hooked up via VGA cable

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T processor running at it's native 3.30 GHz

Storage: 2.3 TB

Ram: 16 Gig Dual channel DDR2 running at, oh, I think it was 1600 (not terribly high as ram goes but not excessively slow either)

Motherboard: This one I don't actually recall and the box is..... somewhere.......

Operating System: Windows 7 professional 64-bit

Java: Version 7 revision 51 (64 bit)

Graphics drivers: Not quite the latest since a new one came out a couple days ago and I haven't bothered to update yet.

I also get this wonderfully annoying bug in which java likes to suddenly shut down with an error referencing my graphics driver for no apparent reason (complete reinstalls of both the drivers and the computer at one point have failed to fix this problem)

I've generally come to the conclusion that Minecraft and Java hate my computer. Either that or it's haunted, I'm not sure which.

Sounds like you should be getting more frames than 40, make sure java is set to use your graphics card in the Radeon menu. Edited by dwwojcik

Intel® HD Graphics 4000 card

That is likely your issue, that is NOT a dedicated graphics card (the graphics and CPU are on the same die and laptops have thermal throttling technology so it will last more than a month).

However without knowing things like your java version, os etc we cannot help

Not true, I have an Intel 4000 with the latest drivers and I get 60+. Why do people still think that an integrated card is weak >:/

Edited by Zefur

External USB graphics cards, that'd be awesome. I could actually hook up a GTX Titan to my MacBook Air...

Except USB is possibly the worst type of connection one could use for GPUs that is still in use today. Even USB3 isn't all that good due to massive delays. Though Thunderbolt should be close to good enough for external GPUs. Don't expect much better speeds than from low-end GPU, though. While it is faster than USB the thoughput and latency still suck bigtime compared to PCIe

Because unless you are using iris pro or a AMD APU they are still weak

To be honest any integrated GPU is terribad. AMD ones might have somewhat better computational capabilities but their memory bandwidth is just a tiny fraction of midrange GPUs making using high-ish resolution for screen/textures a very bad idea.