Lava

rogueclon946

So, is there a way to get lava from the nether to the overworld without adding other mods? So far I haven't seen anything that can collect liquids. But then again, I didn't look very hard.

I suppose a large amount of buckets and one of those blocks that activates its items combined with an item tesseract and some itemducts for some refined pulling/pushing it could work. So, how about a less tedious way? Since that would also involve moving said block every time...

And as it stands a lava fab is out of the question right now.

Im new to B-Team but i have come into interaction with a Tesseract before. They are the best thing to use when you have pipes but seeming as B-Team does'nt have them you will have to find another way. Buckets are the old fasion way and the only old fashion way. I would also use Mine Factory Unloaded. It's a usefull mod that allows all diffrent types of things!

Do you mean Minefactory Reloaded? It has an item collector but as far as I know it can't collect liquids at all. Fluiducts are Thermal Expansion's version of liquid pipes, the only problem with them is they can't directly collect liquids themselves(probably). Without some kind of pump or chunk loader in this pack magmatic dynamos are basically useless without additional mods.

magmatic is definitely not the way to go for this very reason. I highly suggest going down the sewage/sugar route with reactant dynamos. Cheap to set up, entirely renewable, and nearly no energy dost to produce the fuel. A possible expansion on this design is creating a blaze farm to replace the sugar with blaze powder, which is possible using MFR's autospawner.

If magmatic really is your thing, I believe that it is cheaper to use an MFR lava fabricator than a crucible on cobble. I may be wrong, but I think MFR (at least as far as wiki sources go) takes 100000RF per bucket, whereas melting down cobble is 240000. Does anyone have in game values for this?

magmatic is definitely not the way to go for this very reason. I highly suggest going down the sewage/sugar route with reactant dynamos. Cheap to set up, entirely renewable, and nearly no energy dost to produce the fuel. A possible expansion on this design is creating a blaze farm to replace the sugar with blaze powder, which is possible using MFR's autospawner.

If magmatic really is your thing, I believe that it is cheaper to use an MFR lava fabricator than a crucible on cobble. I may be wrong, but I think MFR (at least as far as wiki sources go) takes 100000RF per bucket, whereas melting down cobble is 240000. Does anyone have in game values for this?

How do you get sewage though? I have a small pond of it near my house, but that not going to go very far (1 dynamo burnt through 2 bucketfulls in a few seconds).

Frankly, the most energy efficient source in the game I can find is using the MFR biofuel fab and generator. Magmatic is just a nightmare without some way to automate magma.

remember that the more different types of biological ingredients you have in the biofuel creator, the more efficiently it creates biofuel. seeds and saplings power it.

edit- protip:

before you have an efficient blaze farm running, kill a single blaze to shapeshift to blaze form... you can more or less slaughter them with ease, because you can fly and be immune to fire damage.

kill a bat to gain flight before you go into the nether. That should speed up your search for a fortress and blaze spawner enormously.

Edited by Brigadon

err...yeah... but, if you use blaze powder to run the engine that you are using to power the blaze farm, are you getting a net gain in energy? or a net loss?

It's kinda like the MFR magma generator... technically, running it through a magmatic gives you a net loss in power (at least that's how PC designed it, not sure if Skyboy altered it or the config has changed)

and I actually meant your first nether run... while you are still building the machines to power the machines to build up your resources to do stuff like autofarms. you know, diamond sword, diamond armor, bunch of apples, and an irritating spawner at the top of the stairs you are having trouble getting at through the hail of fireballs.

Edited by Brigadon

• 1 month later...

I am sorry to bring that thread from the dead, but here we are.

Basically in Tekkit (and Tekkit Lite/Classic) there are several ways to build a rather long lasting kind of power setup (pumps, world anchors, etc.). In AoftBt there is not really such a thing.

1. Using lava is at the beginning surely one way to go. Filling up several of hardened portable tanks can help you last a little while depending on your setup
    However, the "go to the nether and use its vast lava ressources" is not working as there is no pump and no world anchor. So lava is only for temporary use unless you go to the nether frequently to resupply.

2. Using something (MFR Lava fabricator, Cooblestone/Magma Crucible) is not self sustaining, as the production of Lava outweights the profit and you are running dry rather fast. Even if you manage to find a solution (maybe with MFR Lava fabricator using less than 160k RF to make one bucket of lava, which will five you 160k RF) you would need a lot of magma dynamos to ensure you actually can provide the RF needed.
    There was someone saying that with galacticraft solarpanel (which does not (yet) output RF) you may generate lava on a station which then transfers the lava to your magma dynamos...but then again, the problem with world anchors exist

3. The route with biofuel is rather painful. You need amazingly much sewage (and therefore animals) to ensure that the carrots/potatos/crops/saplings (the more the merrier) are being made into biofuel by a bio reactor in a reasonable time (which in turn need quite a lot of power in itself). So it is rather hard to find the exact balance to ensure making enough biofuel to last long enough and get enough power for you and the whole setup.
    Additionally the project red pipes appear to have an issue to maintain enough stuff in the planter to ensure the automated farms. Even though I tell it to keep a certain amount of stuff in the planter (stock pile card), it does not work and some of the farms run out.

4. Using reactant dynamos seem to be very complicated, too. Since there are at least two things (instead of one with magmatic or compression dynamo) to be produced non-stop.

So unless I am missing something badly (and yes, I know...it is not Tekkit after all), there is no real reliable way to get power in a automated fashion...however, I would be gladly proven wrong :)

Basically in Tekkit (and Tekkit Lite/Classic) there are several ways to build a rather long lasting kind of power setup (pumps, world anchors, etc.). In AoftBt there is not really such a thing.

1. Using lava is at the beginning surely one way to go. Filling up several of hardened portable tanks can help you last a little while depending on your setup

However, the "go to the nether and use its vast lava ressources" is not working as there is no pump and no world anchor. So lava is only for temporary use unless you go to the nether frequently to resupply.

2. Using something (MFR Lava fabricator, Cooblestone/Magma Crucible) is not self sustaining, as the production of Lava outweights the profit and you are running dry rather fast. Even if you manage to find a solution (maybe with MFR Lava fabricator using less than 160k RF to make one bucket of lava, which will five you 160k RF) you would need a lot of magma dynamos to ensure you actually can provide the RF needed.

There was someone saying that with galacticraft solarpanel (which does not (yet) output RF) you may generate lava on a station which then transfers the lava to your magma dynamos...but then again, the problem with world anchors exist

3. The route with biofuel is rather painful. You need amazingly much sewage (and therefore animals) to ensure that the carrots/potatos/crops/saplings (the more the merrier) are being made into biofuel by a bio reactor in a reasonable time (which in turn need quite a lot of power in itself). So it is rather hard to find the exact balance to ensure making enough biofuel to last long enough and get enough power for you and the whole setup.

Additionally the project red pipes appear to have an issue to maintain enough stuff in the planter to ensure the automated farms. Even though I tell it to keep a certain amount of stuff in the planter (stock pile card), it does not work and some of the farms run out.

4. Using reactant dynamos seem to be very complicated, too. Since there are at least two things (instead of one with magmatic or compression dynamo) to be produced non-stop.

So unless I am missing something badly (and yes, I know...it is not Tekkit after all), there is no real reliable way to get power in a automated fashion...however, I would be gladly proven wrong :)

You need to turn back one step to one of the first power sources before magmatic.

That is, steam.

One of my first renewable power sources was a large automated tree farm which sent logs to a redstone furnace to distribute across an engine of about 24 steam dynamos with water from aqueous accumulators.

Despite the vast amount of dynamos, the harvester + planter combo easily outputted enough to compensate. At first, I added around 3 chests for both the logs and coal. Later, I ended up having to use deep storage units.

By the end of my transition to other forms of power, I had about 9000 charcoal stored extra.

Edited by DragonScythe

I am sorry to bring that thread from the dead, but here we are.

Reactant Dynamos have huge burn time with very cheap fuels. Sugar works wonderfully, and my system is now overflowing with spare stock. Sewage can be increased by just expanding a cow farm. I now mainly use blaze powder, which still produces a net gain, as the burn time on a single blaze powder is massive.

Don't forget you can run directly from mob essence, either.  So long as you can provide a stream of creatures (automated farm and breeder with chronotypers, simple system with chicken eggs collected and 'dispensed' into grinder room, mob spawner over grinder room) then they're going to provide 500,000RF per bucket.

Aces method has been my favorite so far (the 'waste products' from the blaze farm actually provide power alongside the mob essence in my version of this method though).  The steam one I do like (it's what I did in tekkit lite) but some players found the tree farm to lag the server, so I avoid that now.

The biofuel reactor is insanely efficient, if you can get all the materials.  It's easy to get a bunch of small tree farms set up with the different ingredients though (most mod tree saplings work).  I actually often set one of these up (for compression engines) because they're very easy to fill manually before I have a good system in place, and they can provide a lot of power when used like that early.  The slow fuel drain from the reactor means they're not such a great choice as they were in tekkit, but they're not bad.

Solar panels powering lava fabricators aren't ideally efficient, but they mean you can have fluiduct lava lighting around your base and a lava tank can store much more excess than you can with energy cells (at least cheaply), so that's a mid game option if you care more about how it looks than efficiency (you could have one of the mob methods in the time it takes to get the parts for this system and they're more efficient).

There's a lot of fun options with interesting solutions, none are extremely good or bad choices and I think that was the point with the dynamo range of stuff from TE.

Edit: Corrected errors, too late to be thinking about this :P

Edited by Loader

• 2 weeks later...

what do you think about a mix of all of them? tonight I does a lot of testing because I want to find a "server friendly"solution for an energy plant that produce enough energy for something 12 bases on our small server.
I tryied almost every of the possiblities you've talked in this thread, and I think that some of that could be mixed up and run several different kind of dynamos. I don't know yet if this is the best thing to do, but I think that not having a mass production of mobs/tree/crop farm it's better in therms of lag for the server.

The concept it's almost this..

A relatively small cowfarm 5x5 area of fully grown cows that produce sewage both for producing industrial fertilizer (and maybe if there is a surplus can run a reactant dynamo), connected to another small second growing cowfarm with the chronotyper producing mobessence for a reactant dynamo, with the fertilizer, running a 5x5 jungletree farm that produce sludge for another reactant dynamo and wood that with redstone furnaces it's converted into characoal and goes to a steam dynamo (with aqueous accumulator for the water), then running a sugarcane farm and convert the sugarcanes into sugar as reactant for the reactant dynamos with cyclic assemblers and maybe if are too much using them as well with a bioreactor to produce biofuel for a compression dynamo.

The treefarm/fertilizer/harvester/furnace/steam-dynamo setup can put a lot of load on the sorting pipes (which can cause server lag) if they get big enough - 5x5 shouldn't be a problem though (it can cause a little client-side lag if it's making and breaking a lot of trees, if that's the case just run it without the fertilizer but it hasn't been an issue for me personally and only seems to affect slower machines).  Project|Red pipes seem to be a lot less hoggy than other pipes I've used, so if you've done it before and it was fine, it probably will still be now.

Any combo that's interesting to you is the right combination :)  Mixes I always find fun, but one of the best things about the dynamo/RF system is there isn't really a "best" option, just what you have access to and what you want to put up with setting up.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Lava fabricators, fluiducts and Magmatic crucibles you can create a decently fast self sustaining energy source (providing you use the galacticraft wires to link up the devices) as the wires have ~700000 RF/T transmission rate, one fabricator can max out a mining laser.

Yes Braddaz, exploiting a bug can often give you more output than not doing so (it can also give you less - remember when everyone was complaining the galacticraft wires were transmitting no power at all?).  Bugs can be unpredictable (this one is known to cause corruption to the world on occasion), exceedingly cheap (like the GC/TE interaction bug right now) exceedingly expensive (like the GC systems used to be) and even change and be fixed in future revisions.

There's no need for anything that complex - here's one that doubles its energy input given some startup power, and it can be easily modified to quadruple it (by taking that design along another plane).

vQLTZJR.jpg

• 3 months later...

So, is there a way to get lava from the nether to the overworld without adding other mods? So far I haven't seen anything that can collect liquids. But then again, I didn't look very hard.

I suppose a large amount of buckets and one of those blocks that activates its items combined with an item tesseract and some itemducts for some refined pulling/pushing it could work. So, how about a less tedious way? Since that would also involve moving said block every time...

And as it stands a lava fab is out of the questions

• 2 months later...