Why can't I make tool parts with cobblestone?

Ferretman

Perhaps on the other servers it was a custom recipe. If you are trying to make a cast for the casting table, just use wood parts. That's what I did. Besides, you can make regular stone tools so maybe that's why they didn't put it in there. Look at the red book for all the materials you can use. 

Yup If you are wondering, You make your stone tools with Smelted cobblestone (Which named "Stone"). I was having the same issue, I used to play hexxit and you do stone tools with cobblestone. But AOTBT has diffrent config file for that I guess... Like Big Dig, which you don't need any smeltery for making iron,steel and metal tinker tools. 

In nutshell, Use Stone instead of Cobblestone in Tinkers Construct. Same for the repairing too.

Yup If you are wondering, You make your stone tools with Smelted cobblestone (Which named "Stone"). I was having the same issue, I used to play hexxit and you do stone tools with cobblestone. But AOTBT has diffrent config file for that I guess... Like Big Dig, which you don't need any smeltery for making iron,steel and metal tinker tools. 

In nutshell, Use Stone instead of Cobblestone in Tinkers Construct. Same for the repairing too.

Not sure if it's a configuration thing or if the author of TC changed it, but this is pretty much it. You could use cobble in hexxit, but not in AotBT.

BTW, make sure you're smelting that stone in a furnace and not the smeltery, or you'll get "seared stone"

• 3 months later...

From what I've seen only AOTBT has this odd configuration. If you go to any ftb 1.6, they still use cobblestone for TC. So for some reason, this mod decided to change it. I don't know if they had some kind of conflict with another mod or not. All I know is it's annoying as hell. Why would they change it?? Now you can't get the simplest of tools without wasting coal. At this point, I might as well say screw TC, and stick with vanilla tool making!

• Moderators

From what I've seen only AOTBT has this odd configuration. If you go to any ftb 1.6, they still use cobblestone for TC. So for some reason, this mod decided to change it. I don't know if they had some kind of conflict with another mod or not. All I know is it's annoying as hell. Why would they change it?? Now you can't get the simplest of tools without wasting coal. At this point, I might as well say screw TC, and stick with vanilla tool making!

You know trees are an option to coal? Charcoal?

I dunno maybe its just me that thinks of this like a real world object, think of cobblestone in real life... a few stones held together with some sand and water (well pretty much)

Free%20Texture%20Cobblestone%202010_09_1

do you think that would be a substance you could make a workable tool from?

Of course not it would fall apart when you took your first swing if not before and so I think that maybe the mod dev's though of it in this way, cobblestone is to fragile a substance to be applicable for anything smaller than a wall or pavement.

That's just my logic on the subject.

Edited by IDED

From what I've seen only AOTBT has this odd configuration. If you go to any ftb 1.6, they still use cobblestone for TC.

Modern FTB packs are the same, and often even include iguana's mod for TC (no vanilla tools work at all, everything must be made using TC).

It's because Tconstruct doesn't have compatibility with chisel. You can't make tool parts out of netherrack either, which also makes igniters unobtainable.

Separate issues - netherrack is probably a chisel compatibility issue but the stone/cobble requirement is just the way it is in Tinkers Construct now.