Atomic Science in Tekkit 1.2.8c

jakalth

This is a quick list of changes you will see when using atomic science mod in tekkit 1.2.8c

Fission Reactor:

1: They are now called reactor cells.

2: they can be stacked on top of each other to make a single taller reactor.  Not sure of how high they can be stacked, but I've stacked up to 6 in testing.

3: Each reactor cell added to a stack increases the amount of heat generated by a large amount.  1 core heats a 3x3 area on average.  2 cores heats about a 7x7 area.  3 cores heats about an 11x11 area.  The area heated is effected both by the depth of water and the material used to create the pool.  Not sure what effects the materials have on the reactor other then a snipit from calclavia.  Heat transfers faster/farther through solids then liquids.  Heat does not travel well through the air.

4: The more reactor cells in the stack, the faster it seems to burn though the fuel cell.  Each stack of reactors can take more then 1 cell.  Using more then one cells seem to increase the amount of heat generated and slows down how quickly a cell is used up.  But the stack runs just fine on a single cell.

5: If you do not do something with the toxic waste from your reactor, the reactor WILL dump it into the surrounding area, making the whole area toxic.

6: toxic waste kills the effectiveness of your reactor.

7: heat from your reactor cell travels out in a roughly circular pattern.  so it will no longer evenly heat a square block of turbines.

Fusion Reactor:

1: They are now called plasma heaters

2: They still require being surrounded by electromagnets.  There are two type of electromagnets now.  regular electromagnets, and accelerator magnets.  They each can only be used for 1 device now.  The regular ones are only for plasma setups now.  the other one is only for particle accelerators.  The magnetic glass can still be used for both, it seems.

3: Plasma generation is speratic and unpredictable.  Even worse then it used to be.  this makes large plasma generators ineffective.  Later versions of atomic science will address this, but for now, fusion reactors should be built smaller and more efficient.

4: piping steam is pointless atm.  Only a tesseract can move enough steam to power a single small turbine.  But the small amount of steam you can collect from a plasma generator setup is not enough to make it worthwhile.  Just place your turbines directly over the water until later versions of atomic science address this.

5: hook your chemical extractors directly to your plasma heater using waterproof pipes or liquiducts.  You no longer need to make an endless supply of cells for your plasma generator.  It accepts deuterium directly.  Tritium production seemingly is available for the plasma heater, but I lack the knowledge at this time to advise on it's use.  2 chemical extractors is sufficient to keep your plasma generator setup running non-stop, if you allow it to get ahead of the plasma heater initially...

Fulmination generator:

1: Still seems like a toy instead of a power generation method

2: That is all...

3: no really, that is all.

4: ok, maybe I have not played with them that much...

5: ummm.......

Thermometer:

1: shift + right click on a location with the thermometer in hand sets it's reading to that location.

2: with a location set, you can place the thermometer anywhere and still be able to read the temp of a reactor you right clicked on.

3: the location set does not need to be a reactor.  it can be anywhere on the map.

4: it's easier to setup complex reactor designs since the thermometer does not need to be directly in contact with the rector core anymore.

Edited by jakalth

any advise on using non atomic science - steam2Energy methods? e.g. TE SteamTurbines (single block machine that accepts piped in steam) or steam dynamo (don't know if it still accepts piped in steam)

I had some luck on setting up this in 1.2.7b but don't know how effective this is compared to the normal AS turbines...

Thanks, this is very useful information :)

Just a few questions that popped into my mind when playing around with this new version / fission reactors last night:

1. Seems as though control rods are no longer needed (after 3+ were needed in the previous version). I had a standard fission reactor and a breeder reactor set up and neither seemed to overheat / blow up in this new version of AS. Is this a bug or is this meant to be like this?

2. Once a fissile rod is completely spent, the rod seems to permanently disappear, rather than just sit empty in the reactor, so I can't recharge it in a breeder reactor. Instead I have to use a redstone timer to eject the fissile rod from the reactor when it gets close to being completely discharged / empty. Again, is this intentional, or is it a bug does anyone know?

3. If fission reactors do still blow up / overheat, at what temperature does this happen? Used to be 727, but I don't know if this is still the case as I can no longer seem to reach this temperature (even without control rods).

On the plus side, loads of other bugs seemed to have been fixed now with fission reactors :). Not toyed around with fusion reactors yet, but the one I built before seemed to continue to work as normal. Still relatively new to AS, but loving it!

1: seems like a bug, I was running with no control rods as well.  I'm guess the mod is in mid change with how control rods will be used so it's not working atm.

2: I thought a fully spent fuel rod always dissapeared.  as far back as I can remember with this mod, that is how it worked.

3: Think the risk temp is somewhere above 2000.  had a 3 core reactor running hot with 3 fuel cells in it.  It's temp was hovering around 1800K.  But once again, I think there is a bug tied with question 1.  Control rods not changed to new format yet, so keeping a reactor below a certain temp isn't as much of an issue atm.

Fusion builds are a bit lackluster atm in this build, and the last few builds as well.  Due to changes in the mod and minecraft its self.  The mod creator has big changes for the fusion reactors to bring them up to speed with the fission reactors.  Time is all that is needed for those changes to be added.

Using steam dynamos, or the mfs steam turbines allows you to produce power from a reactor, or any steam source for that matter, the same way as using a reactor turbine.  The main difference is, reactor turbines(now called electric turbines) produce far more power, where as using dynamos or the mrf turbines allow you to pipe the steam around to where you need it, making them far more efficient.

Reason?  Sending power through a tesseract = 20% energy cost.  Sending steam through a tesseract = no cost.  Which is better?  depends.  The numbers:

1 turbine = 3995RF/tick = 1870steam/tick

1dynamo or mfr turbine = 80RF/tick = 40steam/tick

so if you replace 1 turbine on your reactor with a steam funnel, you'll get 350steam/tick, which you can pipe wherever you like to power just over 8 dynamos or mfr turbines. which gives you 640RF/tick.  far less then what you get from the 1 turbine, but it's more fun to have remote power nodes.  On a fusion build, this is quite efficient.  on a fission build, you loose more then you gain by piping.

I'm trying to get my Reactor Cell to produce steam, but the water is not boiling and the turbines will not spin anymore. Also the temperature stays around 300K when there is no fuel rod inside. How do I get it to work? I mean I had no problems before the patch, but now no power is being produced.

Edit: Now they turn, but I have no control rods cooling it down. The reactor is at its max temp but it does not explode. What's going on?!

Edited by Entripic

as stated, atomic science is in transition into a different play style.  Some things, like cool rods, don't really work the way they are right now.  So I think meltdown may have been turned off for now.  The change from 1.2.7 and even 1.2.8b too either 1.2.8c or 1.2.8d has some big changes in how the reactor cell works.  due to this, they don't like to work right away.  I've found that after changing over too 1.28(c or d), your reactor won't work right away.  letting the map load, then restarting the map again should get it working again.

as for the temp thing, there are issues with how it reads temp atm.  It says the reactor is already warm, even though it has been turned off for a while.  just ignore this for now.  later versions of the mod are sure too have this fixed up and working.

New trick that can be done with a thermometer.  If you shift + right click on your reactor, with a thermometer in hand, the thermometer will save the coordinates of the reactor and give you the temp reading of that reactor from a remote location.  So you can link a thermometer to each of your reactors and have the thermometer placed in a remote control room, letting you see the temp of each of your reactors from one central location.

Edited by jakalth

More information;

atomic science reactor cells don't always connect correctly when you stack them.  Sometimes they stay as separate cells.  when this happens they need more then one cell to reach full heat...  not sure what the fix is, other then taking appart the stack of reactor cells and rebuilding it.  Only way you'll know this has happened, is when you place a fuel rod into the reactor, only one of the cells in the stack will show the green of the fuel rod.  all of the cells should turn green in the middle when a single fuel cell is added, if they linked properly.

The time of day does have an effect on how many turbines a reactor can turn.  During the day time your reactor will be able to turn about 15-25% more turbines then during the night time.  for example, during the night, a 3 stack of reactor cells can turn turbines in a circle with a radius of 4, but during the day time, the radius jumps up to 5.  it's odd, but kinda makes sense.

Also, haven't confirmed this yet, but the type of biome may have an effect as well.  The reactor setup I was testing the in hot desert biome seemed to be able to turn more turbines then the one in the cold tiaga biome I was also testing.

I have a picture of how many turbines a stack of 3 reactor cells can turn in a 3 blocks deep water pool.  HERE

From some testing, this stacked reactor burns through a single fuel rod in about 800 seconds.  That's far less time then a single reactor cell takes to use up the same fuel rod.  a single reactor cell takes 2500 seconds for a single fuel rod.  But.  a single reactor cell can only turn 4-8 turbines, while a stack of 3 reactor cells can turn either 71 turbines during the night or 88 turbines during the day.  That more then makes up for the cost to operate.

Edited by jakalth

Does anyone know what the maximum flow rate through a TE fluiduct is? Is this different depending on the fluid? Does it increase if you have the fluiduct is set to extract rather than just having a machine output into it?

As far as I know, Fluiducts do have varying flow rates depending on payload. Water at least flows faster than lava. Not sure about other fluids.

The pneumatic servo is not meant to speed up extraction, iirc, but to control extraction mode and settings. You could simply try applying a redstone signal to the extraction Fluiduct and see if the flow increases - a servo is not stricly necessary, as the default setting without it is "power when redstone signal true". Most servo users just switch it to "power when redstone signal false" so they don't have to apply a signal.

Edited by Curunir

fluiducts can move:

360mb/tick of steam

120mb/tick of water

not sure on the others fluids...

if larger amounts of fluid transfer are needed, use tesseracts or Transfer nodes/transfer pipes with speed and mining upgrades installed.

I have pushed 4790mb/tick of steam through a single tesseract connection before.  Have not found a limit too how much steam they can transfer yet.  all I know for sure is they can transfer far more then the fluiducts ment to connect to them can move.  have not tried using transfer nodes in chain with tesseracts yet, so don't know if that will work.

well, fusion builds are kaput, fission builds are considerably different then they used to be.  So the fission reactor builds have the potential to output more power then even a large Big Reactors setup.  I mean come on, 88 turbines, each outputting 3995RF/tick?  That's 351,560RF/tick!  From a single reactor setup.  But...  It will burn through fuel at a fast pace, and, produce a lot of toxic waste that you will have to do something about or the reactor will "leak" the waste into the surrounding area.

How much power do you need to produce?  I have a minimum-sized fusion reactor (8 blocks of water, 8 steam funnels), 4 large turbines, and it puts out over 10k/tick.  I know it's not maxing out the turbines, but it's easily scalable, I just don't need more power than that.  I could easily add another ring of water and get more power out of it without adding another reactor.

It runs forever, can be fully automated, and produces no waste.  If there is a problem with fusion reactors, I am not understanding it.

The "problem" with fusion reactors is not to do with power output, though they can't keep up with the massive output of the fission reactors now.  It has to do with how unreliable plasma spawning is at the moment, and the fact that they can't keep the turbines running consistently.  And besides.  a single large turbine can output well over 10K RF/tick, IF, and only IF, it can be run at full power.  Right now, that is not doable, except by using one over a fission reactor.

Anyways, you'd get more power by not using the funnels and just using the small turbines directly over the water.  Somewhere between 16 and 24K RF/tick for the 8 water source blocks in your reactor.

so there is no real problem right now with them, they are just lackluster compaired to fission reactors and "Big Reactors" using turbines.  It is also due too the sad loss of steam piping, which is what made the fusion reactor builds fun to play with.

I dont know which fulmination you tried but when we setup what we call a CW Style generator it bugged out and filled over 300 ultimate energy cubes and kept going.

That was on a single phial of 1g antimatter

Edited by theresajayne

• 4 months later...

This is a quick list of changes you will see when using atomic science mod in tekkit 1.2.8c

Fission Reactor:

1: They are now called reactor cells.

2: they can be stacked on top of each other to make a single taller reactor. Not sure of how high they can be stacked, but I've stacked up to 6 in testing.

3: Each reactor cell added to a stack increases the amount of heat generated by a large amount. 1 core heats a 3x3 area on average. 2 cores heats about a 7x7 area. 3 cores heats about an 11x11 area. The area heated is effected both by the depth of water and the material used to create the pool. Not sure what effects the materials have on the reactor other then a snipit from calclavia. Heat transfers faster/farther through solids then liquids. Heat does not travel well through the air.

4: The more reactor cells in the stack, the faster it seems to burn though the fuel cell. Each stack of reactors can take more then 1 cell. Using more then one cells seem to increase the amount of heat generated and slows down how quickly a cell is used up. But the stack runs just fine on a single cell.

5: If you do not do something with the toxic waste from your reactor, the reactor WILL dump it into the surrounding area, making the whole area toxic.

6: toxic waste kills the effectiveness of your reactor.

7: heat from your reactor cell travels out in a roughly circular pattern. so it will no longer evenly heat a square block of turbines.

Fusion Reactor:

1: They are now called plasma heaters

2: They still require being surrounded by electromagnets. There are two type of electromagnets now. regular electromagnets, and accelerator magnets. They each can only be used for 1 device now. The regular ones are only for plasma setups now. the other one is only for particle accelerators. The magnetic glass can still be used for both, it seems.

3: Plasma generation is speratic and unpredictable. Even worse then it used to be. this makes large plasma generators ineffective. Later versions of atomic science will address this, but for now, fusion reactors should be built smaller and more efficient.

4: piping steam is pointless atm. Only a tesseract can move enough steam to power a single small turbine. But the small amount of steam you can collect from a plasma generator setup is not enough to make it worthwhile. Just place your turbines directly over the water until later versions of atomic science address this.

5: hook your chemical extractors directly to your plasma heater using waterproof pipes or liquiducts. You no longer need to make an endless supply of cells for your plasma generator. It accepts deuterium directly. Tritium production seemingly is available for the plasma heater, but I lack the knowledge at this time to advise on it's use. 2 chemical extractors is sufficient to keep your plasma generator setup running non-stop, if you allow it to get ahead of the plasma heater initially...

Fulmination generator:

1: Still seems like a toy instead of a power generation method

2: That is all...

3: no really, that is all.

4: ok, maybe I have not played with them that much...

5: ummm.......

Thermometer:

1: shift + right click on a location with the thermometer in hand sets it's reading to that location.

2: with a location set, you can place the thermometer anywhere and still be able to read the temp of a reactor you right clicked on.

3: the location set does not need to be a reactor. it can be anywhere on the map.

4: it's easier to setup complex reactor designs since the thermometer does not need to be directly in contact with the rector core anymore.

I have some questions...As I have understood,I can extract plasma from plasma heater to reactor cell,then I can round reactor cell with water blocks(3 reactor cells=11x11 pool.of water) and place.large turbines(3x3 small electric turbines) on the top of water pool?If I built my construction incorrectly,I would ask you to give me screenshot of your constructions.

P.SSorry,my english isn't ideal:(

• 1 month later...

tekkit 1.2.9e.  with 1.2 (Atomic science) September 2014 - multiplayer on a RHEL7 Linux server.   Some serious issues with this mod I suspect still.

1) On a single layer the output is 400K temperature and negligible useful output. So you need at least 2 reactor core layers/stacks (to get to 500k temperature and some useful output.  3 stacks of reactor core and you can run 600k and a decent output.

But,

2) even with a redstone engine pumping into a void pipe and the core showing only 1L toxicity ie all but empty, it still dumps toxic waste frequently, ie every 30~60 seconds it spawns a toxic block.  The pipes show pumping happening by the way.

3) toxic blocks can be generated 5 squares away maybe 6 (I was too busy dying and trying to get the source blocks to count).

4) One cooling rod wont control the reactor, so I put in 3 and it still wouldnt shut it down or control it. So once above 600k it stayed there spewing toxic blocks up to 5 blocks away, possibly 6, I died so many times it isnt funny (so much for hazmat suits).

So either I am doing something seriously wrong, and after watching an hour or 2 of youtube and googling I cannot see what, my conclusion this is buggy and the  fission reactor is best avoided right now.

Now if someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, let me know please, thanks.

You are probably not doing anything wrong (although you still might be, I am no expert on this mod). Atomic Science is not in development any more and drags around a lot of issues. The contents of the mod have been merged with Resonant Induction, which would need to be included in an upcoming Tekkit version, when Atomic Science is dropped out. You could make this change yourself, if you can find a 1.6.4 version of Resonant Induction. Or wait until Tekkit sorts it out, likely in a 1.7 build.

As Tekkit devs are a rare sight these days, this might be a long wait. Asking for ETAs is against the rules, btw.