Compressed Cobblestone Challenge

Tuxmelv

Outside of the portal to the deep dark, I don't see anyone sane person keeping this much cobble around. Here are some fun facts about the highest compression Extra Utilities gives us.

1 Octuple Compressed Cobblestone is 43,046,721 regular cobblestone.

A DSU can hold 2 billion blocks of a single type.

If one Minecraft block's area is considered to be 1 square meter, one would need to fill 70 DSUs with Octuple Compressed Cobblestone to equal the volume of Pluto. (~ Credit FTB Wki)

Who is crazy enough to fill 70 DSUs with Octuple Compressed Cobblestone in survival?

Well, it would basically mean setting up huge batteries of cobblestone generators and automated compression chains. And then waiting for them to do their thing.

Not exactly my type of challenge. However, I do like the look of Octuple and would like to use some for decoration, so I'll probably make that chain on my server. Just not for that much of it. :-)

Thinking about decoration... Octuples would make up a fine 2001-style monolith. I know you could probably get the same look with black rockwool or something similar, but knowing that millions of stone blocks are compressed in that artifact would certainly add some gravitas.

Or maybe the Kaaba of Mekka. A place of pilgrimage on your server. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of the portal to the deep dark, I don't see anyone sane person keeping this much cobble around. Here are some fun facts about the highest compression Extra Utilities gives us.

1 Octuple Compressed Cobblestone is 43,046,721 regular cobblestone.

A DSU can hold 2 billion blocks of a single type.

If one Minecraft block's area is considered to be 1 square meter, one would need to fill 70 DSUs with Octuple Compressed Cobblestone to equal the volume of Pluto. (~ Credit FTB Wki)

Who is crazy enough to fill 70 DSUs with Octuple Compressed Cobblestone in survival?

I did some math on this. If every single operation of my CPU (~13 billion per second) was able to perform one cobblestone-crafting operation, this project would take 16 years of nonstop calculation.

Of course, I suspect that the maximum rate at which you can make Minecraft process cobble is 3 to 6 orders of magnitude slower - that is, it would take thousands or millions of years.

Edited by Darth Crater