How to only use Tekkit

Petrock24

I'm very new to Tekkit and Galacticraft and I've got a few questions that I couldn't find answered with a quick look around the forums and was hoping someone could help me.

1. Is there a way to have the vanilla HUD of Minecraft when running Galacticraft instead of all the various options and pop-ups?

2. When I run Tekkit from the Technic Launcher, it opens in 1.6.4. Is this intentional? How can I get it to open in 1.7.10?

3. I'm sorry if I'm getting names mixed up. Like I said, I'm new to this site and mod packs. I've pretty much played vanilla Minecraft with a few texture packs here and there since the Beta release.

Please help me. v_v

Edit: Now, when I attempt to run Tekkit, it stops responding, Java crashes, and I'm put back at the Technic launcher. This is becoming a hassle.

Edited by Petrock24

1. Not sure what you mean. When using Galacticraft, you will need that second set of equipment slots for your spacesuit and oxygen gear. And which pop-ups? We don't have pop-ups.

2. Tekkit is based off Minecraft 1.6.4 for now, and will remain there for a while still. Migrating to 1.7 is a major undertaking, because all of the (currently 110) mods will need to be compatible with that, and there will still be issues to resolve between mods. It will eventually happen, but no date has been announced yet.

If you encounter issues, we have an issue tracker for that, and will not deal with those in Discussion. You may want to look into the >unofficial FAQ first and see if you are following recommended procedures.

Edited by Curunir

I believe he's talking about the addition of NEI to the inventory screen and the additional block information enabled by (whatever mod it is) that shows up top center. I know by default that NEI tends to gravitate toward utility/cheat mode which is just a quick look through the options menu (option button lower left of inventory screen).

Good point. I've been using modpacks for so long that I tend to forget NEI isn't an integral part of the game. Same for REI's Minimap.

You can toggle NEI off and on again using the O key while looking at an inventory. Since it is the primary way to learn about the myriad of crafting recipes ingame, I suggest you get familiar with it, unless you have eidetic memory. Look up recipes by hovering over an item in inventory and pressing R.

The tooltip (not pop-up) at the top of the screen is called "What Am I Looking At", WAILA in short. It has a configuration menu that can be opened with the zero key on the numpad.

Thank you two so much for helping me with this.

I also have some serious problems with lag to the point of the game freezing and sometimes crashing when opening and starting up a world (It evens out once I'm in game, but it's rare that I make it that far even after several tries), that I don't have when I'm playing basic minecraft. Any tips on fixing this?

Edited by Petrock24

Thank you two so much for helping me with this.

I also have some serious problems with lag to the point of the game freezing and sometimes crashing when opening and starting up a world (It evens out once I'm in game, but it's rare that I make it that far even after several tries), that I don't have when I'm playing basic minecraft. Any tips on fixing this?

The very first thing you should check is how much memory you have allocated to minecraft. The gear symbol on the launcher next to the close window button has the controls when you click it.

That is actually not enough, Autocthon. The default memory setting is usually good, and the usual reason for memory issues is an override in system settings, which is not visible in modpack config. But it does show in crash logs, which is one reason why we keep demanding them.

Either way, head for the tracker in case you need assistance.

Edited by Curunir

That is actually not enough, Autocthon. The default memory setting is usually good, and the usual reason for memory issues is an override in system settings, which is not visible in modpack config. But it does show in crash logs, which is one reason why we keep demanding them.

Either way, head for the tracker in case you need assistance.

I suppose that's true. I do however have the opposite problem more often than not in that my system settings are perfectly happy to give java an exorbitant amount of memory but my the throttle in the technic config blocks it off. But then again I made those changes a long long time ago and haven't had to think about it for a while.

• Moderators

You might try playing with the rendering distance (make it shorter), and try Max FPS, and other video settings in the Options menu, especially if you are using a texture pack. 

As for Java, I removed it all, and loaded just the 64 bit version so I could set my allocated ram higher. It seemed to help me.