Has anyone ever seen or heard of a "Water Spring"?

Silmenume

I was clearing out a quarry when I found this rising out of the bedrock.  Apparently its called a "Water Spring" and its from BuildCraft.  I've never seen anything like this before.  It looks like it overrides the flat bedrock mod as the Water Spring is made from bedrock.  I placed a cobblestone on the water part to remove it - but it didn't work.  The game accepted me placing the cobblestone upon the raised bedrock, but when I removed the cobblestone the water block was right there!

YJb0D0A.png

Edited by Silmenume

Yes, an old Buildcraft feature. You can place a block on it to make the water "disappear", but it will reappear when that block gets removed again.

I gather that it is meant as an infinite water source to use with a BC Pump. Adds a bit of "realism", if you actually want to play without the unlimited water exploit, or without its machine manifestation, the Aqueous Accumulator. In the same vein, you might put up MFR Weather Collectors to catch rain water.

I'm not sure, but the oilSprings setting might be responsible for the "fountains" of oil that you get above deposits close enough to the surface, mostly in ocean biomes. I have quarried a lot, found quite a few Water Springs, but never something like it for oil.

Or it's just a deprecated setting.

Adds a bit of "realism", if you actually want to play without the unlimited water exploit, or without its machine manifestation, the Aqueous Accumulator.

last i used tekkit, pumps can pull water from the infinite water pool (which isn't an exploit, btw) faster than the pool can refill itself. this is especially true when variable tickrates are a thing, like on servers without sufficient memory allocation. i'm guessing these 'water spring' prefabs are able to feed the pump just as fast as it pulls, so a sort of 'upgrade' once you find one. i should test this theory, now that i think of it...

edit- after testing, it's really inefficient. like, ridiculously inefficient. you can't even sustain your pump's engine off the spring.

Edited by kattzkitti