Modding News 2

EvilOwl

moddingnewsheader.png

Well, I don't know how to start this...

Let's start in the same place I stopped the original Modding News thread. It was lost during the forum update. Too bad. Well, actually I'm not sorry because the previous thread diverted from the original idea an brought unnecessary drama to this board. If the same thing happens to this thread, I'll live with it (I guess the community likes drama) but the main goal is bringing interesting news, events, new mod features, "cool minecraft stuff" and of course the bugs to a wider audience. This is deeply connected with the other main topic here: mod authors achievements and fails. The current forum software has problems with huge posts so I hope this one will not be as big as the original Modding News but if it will I'll move the older news off-site.

I would like to thank everyone who was reading the earlier topic, the number of views was really huge. Thanks.

Ok, that wasn't bad... I think. Onto the next part.

When you see a typo, incorrect information or you read something twice and cannot understand what you just read, blame it on me, I was probably drunk or just stupid (or both) writing it that way. Don't hesitate to message me about it. Yell at me in the comments, send me a PM here, on reddit, on irc or wherever you find me.

Now for the general information about mod downloads and updates:

Information about mod updates: NotEnoughMods (NEM ModBot's twitter feed), MCF Modlist

Safe places for mod downloads: Minecraftforum, Curse, CurseForge (with email notification service)

If you want to check out my work from the original thread you can check the Modding News Archive (it's an archive so things can be outdated/deprecated/offline) [page is WIP, no ads]

So.. let's star.... hold it.. the Disclaimer:

Everything below this line needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not here to offend anybody, if you feel offended send me a message and I'll post how you feel about it.

-------------------------------------

Last update: 4 July 2015

More news in the thread below

17 May 2015

• if you are scared of the huge changelog in the recent Forge versions, don't be, it's just the effect of merging FML with MinecraftForge once and for all [warning: full commit with comments, takes some time to load]

16 May 2015

• LookingGlass announcement by XCompWiz
  • are you updating your modpack and need to reset the configs but you made some changes in there? ConfigPatcher is being coded as we speak to help you with that, example here [for now it's only MinecraftForge's configs but Lunatrius is quick]

15 May 2015

• possible world breaking (corruption) with Minetweaker scripts revealed [read the replies]

13 May 2015

• XyCraft is being worked on? I thought it's vaporware but hey. XyCraft clone is also being worked on? We had no XyCraft at all and now there are gonna be two of them?

11 May 2015

• people are so desperate to play with Immersive Engineering that they started a black market with the builds, I've already seen 3 links with the build available, one of them being Curse/CurseForge (not released by the author!) and then quickly deleted, the mod will be released soon after it's out of alpha version. Here's BluSunrize's reaction
  • FyberOptic has nothing other than problems with the 1.6.4 -> 1.7.10 bridge mod, this time with AE1

10 May 2015

9 May 2015

• JourneyMap 5.1 is now a public beta. It "has many internal changes to improve CPU and memory usage".
  • the commit of the day can be found here, if it's not self explanatory the context can be found here
  • AOBD 2.6.1 has been released and it now has an addon that adds oreberry bushes for all ores in the game (Another One Bites the Dust: Berry Bushes)

8 May 2015

Hexxit Gear is ready for the new Hexxit modpack and it looks very nice.

There's a new tech mod around. Immersive Engineering. Only little information is given and a small portion of screenshots about the mechanics. It's tested on ForgeCraft 2 now [the power lines, they transmit RF]. There are no builds out yet but the source code is here for the people able to compile it. [you'll need a bunch of libs]

New WailaPlugins should be up right about... now. Get it while it's hot with support for Forestry 3.4 and some parts of MFR and TE support (the rest is already in Waila).

7 May 2015

This post on reddit made me wondering about the amount of time passed with the Minecraft community. As one of the forums admins said I'm "fresh". I've bought the game on 12/17/2013 and I registered on this forum 4/23/2014 starting my Tekkit adventures. It's a very short time but it feels like ages.

Usual one-liners:

• Thaumic Infusion has a stable 1.7.10 release.
  • FyberOptic is not working on 1.7.10 versions of Dartcraft and Traincraft, he's working on a 1.6.4 -> 1.7.10 bridge mod. Btw Bluedart is rewriting Dartcraft under a different name.

5 May 2015

LoveHoly invented ExAstris in the place of the missing ExAliquo 1.7 addon. Insaneau continued the work on ExAstris after she went MIA. Well, now she's back with a surprise.

4 May 2015 (May the fourth be with you!)

Some time ago I asked Hilburn about his hacky way to update Steve's Factory Manager (Vswe's mod) with Steve's Addons, two days have passed and he made up his mind (repo link here). His mods show that he cares about the community fixing various 1.7.10 bugs in vanilla and other mods, also when others fail to deliver. Wait.. ExtraFixes has a 1.2.4b version? So like the ExU 1.2.4b version? I guess the changelog can answer that.

Are you making a skyblock/ExNihilo based pack and you want to add custom composting recipes to barrels? No more Minetweaker. This option was added to ExNihilo by default not long ago, custom items and oredict items/blocks can be now added in the configs. Warning: the main dev responsible for this is Inseanau (aka MikeLydeamore) while Erasmus Crowley works on ExNihio2 (as it turns out he won't get that 10 grands he asked for on Kickstarter).

Usual one-liners:

• what is FyberOptic up to now? This you'll have to see for yourself.
  • Applied Energistics 2 RV2 went into stable, check the changelog and download it in the usual place. Wait for the AE2 addon mods to catch up.
  • you placed modded redstone wires (like ProjectRed alloy wire or EnderIO Redstone Conduit) beside the TiCon smeltery drains and it's not working? Grab the dev builds from TiCon jenkins and you'll be fine. [thanks PlowmanPlow for the link]
  • please keep away from MinecraftForge 1.7.10-10.13.3.1399, it breaks 80% of coremods, the cause was making Forge compatible with Sponge, the change was reverted in 1400 and 1401.
  • problems with TiCon smeltery melting redstone into redstone.molten (from ProjectRed) instead of Destabilized Redstone (Thermal Expansion)? Get rid of PR-Compat from the mods directory. [you will loose ProjectRed compatibility with those mods, but hey]
  • making and giving support to a custom mopdack is not something that you just do, it's a way of life

2 May 2015

Aidan Brady (the Mekanism mod author) presented yesterday the Minecraft Mod Developer Pack (an add-on for Visual Studio for developing minecraft mods, repo link here) at Microsoft Build Developer Conference 2015

• video from this part of the conference can be found here (start at 2:02:00) [listen carefully to Steven Guggenheimer's words before Aidan got on the stage]
  • GeekWire article can be found here
  • voxcpw's reaction here
  • LexManos's reaction here
  • Mojang... heh.. as usual

Forge fluid registry changes... If you are a modpack creator you know this stuff. MinecraftForge changed fluid handling (version 1355+) not long ago and there were problems with many mods out there so let's gather the info about which ones should work with the latest Forge. I'll list only some of them (the delayed ones).

Team CoFH released CoFHTweaks (a "minecraft accelerator" type mod) that is suppose to speed things up. The mod:

• backports some 1.8 performance features into 1.7.10.
  • has the option to disable some performance heavy graphic tasks
  • can speed up worldgen on servers
  • can be downloaded here (repository link)
  • if not working correctly (or you just don't like it) can be replaced (on the client AND the server) with Fastcraft (it does the same thing and can be downloaded here)

Warning: Fastcraft is known to speed up clients and servers a lot but its source code is hidden and the jar file is "obfuscated to completely paranoid levels". You can refer to it as black magic or a black box as nobody (besides the author) knows what's inside. It can pretty much be a "computer virus".

Have you downloaded the latest forge yet? There are progress bars implemented while loading the game now and a rotating logo (which when stopped can indicate a freeze). Be sure to remove other launch gui changing mods (Better Loading Screen and Minecraft Loader) when using the 1710ls branch (Forge versions 1389 and above). Remember to leave feedback.

Equivalent Exchange 3 just went into beta. Grab it here and test the Transmutation Tablet.

-------------------------------------

I'll update this post whenever I find something worth it. If not stated otherwise the mods and news presented here are for Minecraft version 1.7.10.

This project is WIP (work in progress)

Assets by Amaxter

Edited by bochen415

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A request: No drama llamas when it comes to both Reika's and CoolSquid's mods. There's been plenty of it on FTB Forums as it is. That being said, do look out for a global update checker mod geared towards modpackers.

You're a mean one Leth. You know minecraft modders are dramavores. You would have them starve?

True the forum conditions here are pretty severe and the lands are hard working due to the software issues. But a keen farmer can still pull a nourishing crop from the fertile soil.

A request: No drama llamas when it comes to both Reika's and CoolSquid's mods. There's been plenty of it on FTB Forums as it is. That being said, do look out for a global update checker mod geared towards modpackers.

​Reika doesn't generate drama. It's the users around him who do. Dealing for a moment with the Voltz dev team also changed my perspective about Reika's mods and Reika himself.

CoolSquid is just a young modder (a very, very young modder) so any problems with the community can come from a simple misunderstanding or rather age-perspective differences.

The only global update checker mod I know is GenPage's NEM-VC which is doing a very simple task:colouring the mod names in the client's config menu depending on the mod's version. That mod is a part of the NotEnoughMods project and gets the mod info form the project's database.

Some mod versions are automatically updated from Curse, jenkins, github, some are manually updated by the authors or the contributors. It currently has a problem with tterrag's ttCore (ttCore overrides the menu appearance).

There's also the CurseVoice launcher... I use it as a mod update checker/updater app. It's buggy at times.

CoolSquid is just a young modder (a very, very young modder) so any problems with the community can come from a simple misunderstanding or rather age-perspective differences.

​I have mildly controversial opinions, which makes me very unpopular in certain parts of the community.

​The only global update checker mod I know is GenPage's NEM-VC which is doing a very simple task:colouring the mod names in the client's config menu depending on the mod's version. That mod is a part of the NotEnoughMods project and gets the mod info form the project's database.

Some mod versions are automatically updated from Curse, jenkins, github, some are manually updated by the authors or the contributors. It currently has a problem with tterrag's ttCore (ttCore overrides the menu appearance).

There's also the CurseVoice launcher... I use it as a mod update checker/updater app. It's buggy at times.

The mod he is referring to is probably UpToDate, an unreleased mod mostly written by Strikingwolf, with some code borrowed from me. A summary of the current and planned features may be found here.

I discontinued and open sourced SafeChat today. If anyone wants to continue the mod, feel free. I'm having a "mod cleanup" the last few weeks, open sourcing mods I'm no longer working on, such as FighterMobs and ConflictHelper.

I'm working on some miscellaneous Minetweaker addon stuff:

import mods.squidutils.Blocks;
import mods.squidutils.Misc;
import mods.squidutils.Commands;
import mods.squidutils.Logger;

Blocks.setHardness("minecraft:stone", 100);
Blocks.setResistance("minecraft:stone", 100);
Blocks.setMaterial("minecraft:stone", "ground");
Blocks.setCreativeTab("minecraft:stone", "redstone");
Blocks.setFlammibility("minecraft:stone", 0, 0);

Commands.removeCommands(["help", "kill", "example"]);
Commands.createCommand("INFO", ["example", "An example command.", "I post a message to the chat."]);

Misc.disablePhysics(["minecraft:sand", "minecraft:gravel"]);
Misc.setDefaultSetting("RENDER_DISTANCE", 2.0);
Misc.removeCrashCallables(["FML", "Mantle Environment", "TConstruct Environment"]);
Misc.disableGameOverlays(["HEALTH", "FOOD"]);

Misc.registerLoginMessage("SquidAPI", "The following mods are out of date: " + Misc.getOutdatedMods(), "RED");
Logger.warn("The following mods are out of date: " + Misc.getOutdatedMods());

And SquidAPI's new update checker:

Aef16Ji.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm... I think the number will stay at two for the moment: Hexcraft and ProjectX. Soaryn didn't show any evidence that his version is not vaporware.

Oh, there are some nice things to report, so:

• ProjectX's real developer was revealed.
  • Hexcraft's dev on the other hand doesn't want his mod to follow Xycraft's path like ProjectX does.
  • in the meantime (of my laziness) ExNihilo2 was released. Still at alpha so expect bugs and unfinished features. Supports Minecraft 1.8
  • SimplyJetpacks got an update also, now working with BC liquid fuel (BC6 that is).
  • Drullkus is still experimenting with fancy blocks in StuffsAndThings.

hmm, what else.... there also was:

The most graphically interesting thing was "Dmillerw shooting CyanideX in the head while Azanor watches and Jadedcat flies away!"

What am I talking about? It's a new mod from FyberOptic: Model Citizens.

Edited by bochen415

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a while. I've been really busy IRL (keywords: kid, surgery) so the topic got a little outdated. Let's fix that real quick:

• Immersive Engineering has a public release,
  • AlgorithmX2 ported a big fat chunk of AE2 to Minecraft 1.8, still needs a lot of work though [heavy github commit link]
  • interesting mod of the day: Zetta Industries including BigBatteries [yes, BigReactor multiblock type batteries]
  • latest EnderIO versions need a coremod, be sure to grab EnderCore if you're messing with those
  • PneumaticCraft is switching to oil generation [from those ugly plants]
  • huge-vein ore generation CoFH configs look really great
  • are you wondering how much power do you need for an Ender Quarry? Here are the results
  • RFTools updates are now very frequent and the mod now offers a storage system apart from a dimension builder, more in Direwolf20's spotlight [the spotlight is divided into 3 parts, the link is for the first one]
  • Mekanism 8 contains some neat reactors for power generation, here's a sample fuel supply chain
  • Buildcraft 7 hit stable with 7.0.6 and is now on 7.0.12, main differences between BC6 and BC7 can be found here
Edited by bochen415
I'm a derp

Here's another portion of information:

• Summer of Technic
  • Technic is dropping HSM (bonus Blightfall screenshot)
  • Electrical Age is spying on you? Well, just a bit. [code]
  • what's with the water lately? First it was BluSunrize with AquaTweaks and now Vazkii with Waterproof
  • MinecraftForge got a speed upgrade again. Build 1.7.10-10.13.4.1469-1.7.10+ should load faster in big modpacks skipping the first pass texture loading, more info here
  • having permission problems with Technic Launcher and JourneyMap? Install Solder and make it download the mod from CurseForge. Tutorial for adding external mod download url here [WIP]
Edited by bochen415
added Forge and JourneyMap

• having permission problems with Technic Launcher and JourneyMap? Install Solder and make it download the mod from CurseForge. Tutorial for adding external mod download url here [WIP]

​Oh, for fuck's sake...

"Somebody isn't honouring permissions! FUCK TECHNIC THEY ARE LITERALLY HITLER, THE DEVIL, AND GEORGE W. BUSH COMBINED!"

Edited by Melfice

​Oh, for fuck's sake...

"Somebody isn't honouring permissions! FUCK TECHNIC THEY ARE LITERALLY HITLER, THE DEVIL, AND GEORGE W. BUSH COMBINED!"

​Lol, yeah, having to go through that process to adhere to permissions is exactly the reason I use Voxel Map and NOT Journey Map. 

Any mod author with ANY intention of having their mod be widely accessible needs to have more open and less arbitrary permissions policies.

Let's get some new info out there:

• JourneyMap was updated to 5.1.0 with the promised performance fixes and a lot more, including a solder friendly zip (that can be redirected with a simple solder repository trick)
  • RIP ttCore, welcome EnderCore [core library for EnderIO and other mods like WailaPlugins]
  • a bunch of Deep Storage Units, everyone of those looks the same, how can I find my items? I can label the DSUs.
  • new Botania Multiblock Preview
  • you can't afford a full AE2 autocrafting system? Here's a cheap alternative for your early game [via reddit]
  • QuantumFlux updated to 1.2.1 with less OP-ness [via reddit]

It's a big day today with all the Minecon2015 announcements, but Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta is disappointing, it's just a MCPE port.

For everyone not interested in the mentioned event here's another one hosted by asiekierka that seems more interesting for the community. [and it's free]

techniclauncher_2016-01-22.log

Non-Java-based version-locked Minecraft on PC, likely complete with app store DRM?.  Microsoft's off to a great start.  Though we all know that this is exactly why they bought it: product promotion.

I'm not updating to Windows 10 just to play MCPE, but I will see if I can find out how to break it to work on Windows 7, because you know it's gonna be possible one way or another.

MS announced today that they took a huge write-down on their Nokia puchase.  It looks like windows phone is dying so the Win10 version is probably just to keep minecraft alive on whatever microsoft portable devices still exist 5 years from now.  Also for really young users, hop-in/hop-out 8-player SMP without a server that's compatible with PE multiplayer is a really great feature.

Also, this: http://www.technicpack.net/article/technic-thursday-its-thursday-now.117