Accessing Saved Game From Separate Computer?

cainneigh

I won't get into details, but recently I am unable to play any sort of MC on my laptop. I wanted to know if there's any way I could play the game that's saved on my laptop, on my fiance's laptop. I have the launcher and server downloaded, no problem. I even copied my saves folder onto his computer and saved it in the same place, but it doesn't show up when I log onto the MC main screen. I was wondering if it was even possible to play a games saved on one computer, on another.

Thank you, Kennie

Yeah I know. I got the saved games folder out of my .technic folder from my laptop and put them in the .technic folder on my fiance's, but it still didn't register.

I got the files from .technic>modpacks>attack-of-the-bteam>saves and copied them to the other computer's .technic>modpacks>attack-of-the-bteam

That should work, right? I mean, it's all the same folders and files.

It should work fine, yeah - it is possible to pick a different install location in the launcher so double-check that's not the case (the cog by the attack of the b-team logo on the left).

Failing that, make a world on the new computer with the exact same name then copy over your world on top of it, that way you can be sure it's the same folder (as it'll make a matching one when you make that world in game).

Edit: Clarity

Edited by Loader

Okay, so I just went and made a world with the same name using my fiance's computer. I then copied my original game file and replaced the corresponding file that I had just made. I logged on to MC and opened up the world, and it loaded the one I had just made, even though I had just replaced those files with my original game...

Make sure the folder structure is identical when you copied it over, if it isn't it will fail to recognize the new files at all (ie: pasting world_name directly into the saves folder, not into the world_name folder, otherwise it will have a world copy in a world copy, the game doesnt recognize this)

So if you copied from C:UsersSomeUserAppDataRoaming.technicmodpacksattack-of-the-bteamsaves the folder named world_name, it would then go into:

C:UsersSomeUserAppDataRoaming.technicmodpacksattack-of-the-bteamsaves so the world_name folder appears in this folder.

OK, the good news is at least that points to wherever you're putting those new files not being the place it's reading from (otherwise that outcome should be impossible).  You can test for certain by removing that world on the new machine - if it's the wrong location you will still be able to load that world from within minecraft, so do that first to be certain (I think what you've overwritten was a previous attempt to copy it across).

Now, the cog on the left of the launcher (by the B-Team menu icon) - what directory did that indicate?