IndustrialCraft Reactor + RP2/BC

thedredge

So if you had a Nuclear Reactor with ice in it. The wiki says "Each reactor tick, if a reactor's hull has more than 300 heat, it will evaporate 1 ice block, reducing the heat level by 300."

Now my question is that could you use pipes, either BC or RP2, in order to keep a constant supply of ice? (assuming you do not run out of ice)

EDIT: Or a water bucket instead of ice?

Yes you can. This is an entire school of thought in the field of IC2 reactor design, known as Constantly Applied Single-Use Coolant, or CASUC. CASUC reactors achieve the highest outputs possible for a stable design, but they're also more dangerous than your typical Mark I or Mark II, because if you lose coolant flow, you need to shut the reactor down before it asplodes.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to set up really.

Have an array of snowmen trapped behind blocks, with a single blockbreaker pointing at the bottom block, snowmen constantly produce snow blocks at their bottoms, which are broken into snowballs, have those go to an automated crafting table to be converted into snow blocks, then have those sent to a compresser to be compressed into ice, have the ice pumped into the reactor.

[img width=800]

Snowman batteries, I use this for producing vis, but the principle is the same.

Another option is to make an Anti-Matter Relay, put an Energy Condenser next to it, and put as many Energy Collectors as you can afford on the other five faces of the Relay. Then put a piece of ice in the target slot for the Condenser. It's more expensive to set up, it's true, but the resulting machine is a lot faster and more compact.

Yes you definitely can for ice, the problem with buckets is the empty bucket is left behind so its not as useful. Its also possible to create ice blocks so you can infinitely supply your reactor.

Using a RP2 retreiver you can pull only the empty buckets out of the reactor.

Couple this with a deployer and filter (and a crap load of buckets) you can cool your reactor with the need for ice.

So I set up the infinite ice generator, I couldn't get the compressor to compress snow so I used a duplicator, But my problem now is that the pipes, both BC and RP2 wont put things into the reactor chamber. Anyone know how to fix that?

One of the downsides to having a CASUC is that you can only have a maximum of 5 additional chambers, because the pipes you use to insert the ice have to connect to the main nuclear reactor block, not one of its additional chambers.

One of the downsides to having a CASUC is that you can only have a maximum of 5 additional chambers, because the pipes you use to insert the ice have to connect to the main nuclear reactor block, not one of its additional chambers.

Even with only 5 chambers, the power generation is ridiculous so don't let that discourage you from an awesome CASUC.

You can't make uranium with either Equivalent Exchange or Industrialcraft means. You can, however, duplicate it in a Thaumcraft duplicator. I know you can get better EMC -> Vis conversion rates than obsidian, such as with leaf blocks, but I'm still looking for items that do so with a reasonable amount of stacks. But one diamond turned into obsidian gets enough vis to duplicate a piece of uranium fifteen times, so running out of uranium shouldn't be an issue.

There is one note about potential reactor blueprints, though: Buildcraft doesn't seem to be able to handle them correctly. It'll put down the reactor chambers first, which notice that they aren't attached to a nuclear reactor, and pop right off. I would suggest using wooden planks or dirt or something where the reactor should go, and the end user will have to remove the dirt or wood to manually set up the reactor.

Yes, but you're saving space that would normally be used by coolant cells and dispersers by using a proper CASUC, so you can still use more uranium than normal.

Yes, but you're saving space that would normally be used by coolant cells and dispersers by using a proper CASUC, so you can still use more uranium than normal.

A "Proper" CASUC in my eyes would be one where the pipes are allowed to connect to a reactor chamber and use 6 chambers and 4 stacks of ice (as that would reach the theoretical max). Unfortunately the way BC was coded prevents this. You could make it (albeit it wouldn't be automated) by hand-shoving ice in as quick as possible, but that's not what OP wants.

You can't make uranium with either Equivalent Exchange or Industrialcraft means. You can, however, duplicate it in a Thaumcraft duplicator. I know you can get better EMC -> Vis conversion rates than obsidian, such as with leaf blocks, but I'm still looking for items that do so with a reasonable amount of stacks. But one diamond turned into obsidian gets enough vis to duplicate a piece of uranium fifteen times, so running out of uranium shouldn't be an issue.

There is one note about potential reactor blueprints, though: Buildcraft doesn't seem to be able to handle them correctly. It'll put down the reactor chambers first, which notice that they aren't attached to a nuclear reactor, and pop right off. I would suggest using wooden planks or dirt or something where the reactor should go, and the end user will have to remove the dirt or wood to manually set up the reactor.

you can add a chest with items in it for the user as well.

Using a RP2 retreiver you can pull only the empty buckets out of the reactor.

Couple this with a deployer and filter (and a crap load of buckets) you can cool your reactor with the need for ice.

Doesn't this require you to remove an extra reactor chamber? You can do the same thing with an advanced extraction pipe if you want to to do it that way.

Doesn't this require you to remove an extra reactor chamber? You can do the same thing with an advanced extraction pipe if you want to to do it that way.

Yes it does but you can run the reactor without any cooling cells or heat dispersers so you more than make up for the loss of one chamber.

You honestly do not need all 6 chambers in a SUC build

Mark I-I-SUC-EB

1200 EU/t

3.75 efficiency

only 3 chambers, leaving 3 sides available for

Ice Input

Uranium Cell Input

Depleted Uranium Cell Output

Still awesome as balls. I'll go creative something and maybe post blueprints if it works.

edit: it didn't work. the pipes were going to slow to keep all 4 ice slots filled. it exploded while I was getting a retriever set up. Somehow I picked up leaves after it exploded too which was weird cuz no trees.