[3.1.2] Aftermath [PvP] [42 slots] [Greylist] [A great variety of plugins, see thread] [No EE]

Typical_Name

Aftermath

108.178.26.116:25571

Aftermath was a nations-survival server started by Griskard, who, about a month before his death, passed the server down to me. I have tried to fulfill his/our dream of maintaining an active, somewhat realistic political simulator. The server is relatively new to Tekkit, and is running on a fresh new world.

The server welcomes all players, but be warned that we encourage conflict and warfare. If you want to be safe, join someone who will protect you. Everything in the wilderness (that is, not in one of the political entities described later) can be destroyed as easily as it can be built, and there are no rules against this. Acts of aggression may or may not be looked down upon by the playerbase, but as far as rules are concerned, if it doesn't involve cheating or glitching the game in some way, it's probably fine.

The server is expected to run 24/7 under normal conditions, although the occasional downtime (ie, due to me making backups, minecraft.net being down, beastnode having a freak accident, etc) happens every now and then.

General Mod Info

In general, we try to maintain a fun and challenging environment on the server. To this end, we have entirely removed Equivalent Exchange, as it is so imbalanced and overpowered that attempting to fix it is likely more trouble than it is worth. EnderStorage and the server side of Not Enough Items have also been removed.

Other mods are mostly untouched, with a few notable exceptions, such as nano sabers, quantum armour, world/dimensional anchors, water strainers, and mass fabricators. Additionally, we may have certain machines be greylisted in the future, but this is not currently applicable (think of it as applying for a construction permit).

The above information is subject to change as I discover new exploits and problems (or fixes for said exploits and problems).

The Nations System

The gameplay of Aftermath revolves around the ability of players to set up their own political entities. To make the system fair to both new players and veterans, there are various levels of settlements that players can create:

Hamlets
are small plots with an area of 32x32 blocks. They require at least two people to create, and cannot attack nor be attacked in an act of warfare. Additionally, hamlets cannot maintain fiefs.

Towns
are larger than hamlets, encompassing an area of 64x64 blocks and requiring at least three people to create. Like hamlets, towns are immune to warfare. Notably, unlike hamlets, towns are able to divide their land into fiefs.

Manors
are the same size as towns, but only require one person to create. Manors are notable because they are the only settlement in which the citizenship is allowed to overlap with the citizenship of other settlements. This allows them to act as outposts for cities and nations. Additionally, they are able to maintain fiefs. They are able to participate in warfare (voluntarily or not), but are not able to go on the offensive unless aligned with an entity that is (a city or a nation). Additionally, a confederation of at least three manors is treated as a nation for game mechanics.

Cities
maintain a sizable area of 96x96 blocks, and require three people to create. Like towns, cities can divide land into fiefs, but unlike towns and hamlets, cities are able to participate in wars (voluntarily or not). (Note that the population requirement on cities is relatively new, so you may run across cities that still have less than the stated requirement.)

Nations
are large areas of the countryside (256x256) that overlap with smaller settlements, uniting them under one political banner. A nation requires four people to start. Newly purchased nations come with a city inside them and have all of the abilities a city does.

Fiefs
are small (16x16) plots of land that only exist within larger settlements. Their purpose is to allocate private plots to players instead of trusting everyone within the larger area to honor each other's property.

These are the prices of each settlement tier; upkeep occurs every two weeks:

Fief - 500 * x^2, with x being the current amount of fiefs within the larger area (if more than one larger area is involved, such as a city within a nation, use the larger number). Upkeep of 350 per two weeks.

Hamlets - 3000, upkeep of 500

Towns - 10,000, upkeep of 1,250

Manors - 20,000, upkeep of 3,000

Cities - 50,000, upkeep of 5,000

Nations - 100,000, upkeep of 10,000

Everything within the nations system is done with the simple, reliable Worldguard plugin. To purchase territory, simply let an admin know (such as by a message on the forums or ingame) and he will create the area for you manually. You can either mark out the exact area that you want or simply indicate to the admin which block you want to be the center of the area, and he will create the area around that.

Plugins

We use a lot of plugins, big and small. Here's a list of them:

Auras - lets players make little aura effects (flame, smoke, water splash, ender particles, etc) around their character. Will be available as a donor benefit once I get the donation mechanic set up.

Bookworm - writable books!

bPermissions - used to manage permission nodes (allows access to commands and such)

CanBuild - used for greylisting function; prevents un-registered players from building

ChestShop - allows players to make shopchests to do their trading for them

ColorMe - can be used to color players names. Will be available as a donor benefit.

CombatTag - helps prevent pvp logging, provided that the player gets hit before logging out (if this occurs, the player will leave behind an npc, which will drop the player's stuff upon dying)

CoreProtect - not used very much, but monitors block placement and destruction by players. It's somewhat useful if I'm curious as to who raided someone or if I suspect an co-admin of cheating or something.

CraftBook - does various things like have netherrack light up in response to redstone, and allowing players to set up gates and bridges with signs. Most of its other functions are novelties that were made obsolete by Tekkit.

DrugMeUp - Allows for customizable drugs with varying effects. It's a really neat plugin concept, but unfortunately not currently very useful because of a couple of key bugs (ie, the jumping potion effect will cause the player to die from fall damage, and the speed potion effect is far too strong). Some of these are fixed in later versions, but we will not be able to use them until Tekkit updates to Minecraft 1.3.

DarkTrace - watches out for Xrayers

Dynmap - makes a nifty little satellite map that updates in real time. You can buy access to it for 15,000 drachmai if you have either a city, a manor, or a nation (you only have to buy it for the nation as a whole once, individual players won't have to pay again after that).

EasyVanish - allows admins to turn invisible to other players

Essentials - basic commands; for players, it gives you access to /sethome and /home, which can be used to teleport back to your base but has a 35-second charging period and a half-hour cooldown

GiantCaves - a world generation plugin that makes really awesome caves. We're considering using it in a new mini-world for an undecided purpose, possibly as a tutorial world for new players.

Helmet - allows glass blocks to be worn as helmets. They will function as diving helmets, and the player will not drown while wearing them (the air meter will go down, but nothing happens when it hits zero).

Herochat - basic chatting plugin. Has what you would expect - private messages, local chat, and global chat. (We actually have multiple channels for global chat meant to be used for different purposes, but no one ever uses them for some reason.)

Herostronghold - used for the server's war mechanism. It monitors a region's "power," which can be reduced either by killing its members or by siege weapons. Additionally, it can be used to create regions with an ingame effect besides protection (ie, hospitals that actually heal), which we plan to implement in the future.

iConomy - basic economy plugin (may be replaced by something more advanced in the future if I can get a specific custom plugin made)

MachineGuard - addon to worldguard to make it even more compatible with Tekkit. Not sure if it actually does anything that our modified version of worldguard doesn't already do, but it couldn't hurt to have around.

MagicSpells - Provides customizable spells. If I ever get a significant amount of time on my hands, I will attempt to replace the /home function with a spell system based on converting EU batteries to mana.

ModDamage - Allows me to modify damage events under specific circumstances - ie, I can make certain weapons do more damage or players wearing certain armours take more damage. If I ever get a significant amount of time on my hands, I will attempt to make quantum armour non-overpowered with the use of this.

MoneyDrop - makes monsters drop iConomy money. The money is represented as gold nuggets, but the player doesn't actually get gold nuggets when he picks it up, he gets money.

MonsterApocalypse - alters monster spawning a bit and makes mobs a bit tougher. Also has an option to make mobs search you out from a long distance, and much more, but this is not currently enabled. (Removed due to odd errors, might try again with a new version after Tekkit updates.)

MorePhysics - gives pistons more of an effect on players, resulting in players being launched by an extending piston.

Multiverse - basic multiworld plugin. Allows us to have multiple worlds. MultiverseNetherPortals also allows us to change where nether portals in each world send players to, and MultiversePortals allows us to create portals to specific worlds. This currently sees use in our extra nether world (we have two nethers - one which can be accessed by regular netherportals but has no NetherOres, and another which can only be reached from a preset location but does have ore).

NoItem - allows us to blacklist certain items. Currently not used, since everything we have wished to blacklist thus far has been a config option in Tekkit, but is expected to be used later.

NoLagg - reduces lag

Ports - allows admins to create regions that teleport players within a world.

SignCodePad - allows players to make combination locks out of signs. These locks can be used to trigger things like doors and traps.

SignPort - allows admins to create signs that teleport players.

SimpleAnnounce - broadcasts automatic messages to the server

Vault - a prerequisite for a lot of plugins, particularly economic ones

WorldBorder - allows us to limit the distance a player can go, preserving memory space for the server.

WorldEdit - helps admins build and delete things by providing tools to edit blocks in mass.

WorldGuard - primary protection mechanism; protects (most) blocks from varying calamities, which can be toggled individually, such as direct breaking by players, tnt, creepers, ghast fireballs, enderdragons, switches (players opening doors and such), etc.

WorldGuardFlagger - allows me to set multiple worldguard flags at much, making me less prone to errors :)

Screenshots

The world is still relatively new, so not a lot has been built yet, but here are some screenshots of what exists so far:

2hzoo6o.png

2o4xt.png

286ydtg.png

2ptb90n.png

dmuyb7.png

2r2ytcw.png

30tq45h.png

2mn277n.png

2mqp44i.png

25ir81k.png

15wyx6w.png

4vs7zm.png

Rules

0.) Attempt to maintain an acceptable level of decency and common sense at all times.

a.) This is interpreted broadly at the admin's discretion. It encompasses spam, racism, anti-gay bigotry, stupidity in general, and more.

1.) I really shouldn't need to say this, but exploiting glitches and hacking are also against the rules (obsidian generators are ok).

2.) You may not make shop chests for the sole purpose of protecting your items. Shop chests must only be used for shopping, and should only be made within towns.

3.) Pvp (and griefing) is allowed, but it is subject to Rule Zero and Rule One. This means that you shall not attempt to circumvent pvp restrictions such as pvplogger, worldguard, etc.

4.) If I give you powers to help you with a special task (ie, if I give you creative mode to build something for me), these powers are NOT to be used to give you an advantage in your regular gameplay. Again, this should be pretty obvious, but it needed stating anyway.

For your greylist applications, enter in the following information:

Your In-game Name

(When you register on our forums, please make your username there the same as this.)

What you like to do on Minecraft (pvping, building, socializing, slaughtering monsters, etc)

Which number has a larger positive value, -1500 or 1000?

[Optional] An essay of any length on your favorite historical figure

This thread will be updated as more features are added and clarified.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I couldn't get

tags to work for the images. What is the code I use to hide the images so that they don't take up so much space?

EDIT: I'll reserve this post for an FAQ. I'll add questions as they're asked.

"How do I make money?"

Money is introduced into the economy by killing monsters (which drop money in addition to normal loot), and you can also obtain money by trading with other players.

Also, until the admin shop is set up (which may be a while), I am willing to buy diamonds off players for 300 drachmai (server currency) each.

"Since when did skeletons do three hearts?!?"

The server is on "Hard" difficulty. Don't worry, they barely pose a threat at all once you get armour.

"Stop going afk/logging out!"

Sorry, my connection has a tendency to drop out randomly. Give me a couple minutes to log back in if this happens. Hopefully it won't be an issue once I move back to school for the fall in the coming week.

"What's this about a greylist application? One of the co-admins already approved me!"

The application is not optional, and that co-admin has made a mistake. If you're feeling conscientious, you should go ahead and make an application anyway even if you're already accepted without one. (Hint: I probably won't ban you or anything if you don't, but if you refuse to make an application, I'm going to look down upon you.)

"Can I have ________ for free?"

NO!

Also, I couldn't get
tags to work for the images. What is the code I use to hide the images so that they don't take up so much space?

There are code tags, but they would probably look funny in this case. I'd just resize them as appropriate, if you're that bothered. They look fine to me.

Congratulations, hartham, you are the first person on this thread to be greylisted :D.

You should spawn in the hospital. The teleporter pads are up the stairs (or use the signvator) to the right, and will take you to the wilderness where you can build (minus a 10x10x10 area around the teleporters to prevent people from destroying them). These teleporters are one-way, and there is currently not a way to reenter Invicti, but that shouldn't be a problem since it's still under construction and there's not anything to do there.

Be aware that pvp is enabled everywhere but Invicti. However, most of our current players aren't the type of people who will randomly walk up and murder you for no particular reason.

Ingame Name: The_Shadowolf (and tornado4440 is my brother) please whitelist both

Things we do: We build mainly, mine a lot, typical minecraft stuff. I have a habit for building massive castles and cathedrals... We normally stay to ourselves and build our own hall of the mountain king.

Question, Are we allowed to build without buying a "plot" and build up resources before we enter the political scene?

Thanks,

Shadowolf

Your In-game Name : chowchig

What you like to do on Minecraft : I usually like to build my own area, or work with others and build theirs, all while socializing.

[Optional] An essay of any length on your favorite historical figure :

One of my favorite historical figures has to be General George Smith Patton. This man was one of the best generals during WWII. His extreme behavior on the battlefield and towards the troops made him one of the most popular and outspoken generals in U.S. history. Even when suspended during the D-Day invasion, he played a part in distracting the enemy Germans, by working with another unit to make it seem as though he and his army were going to land on a different area. With this distractions the Germans moved many of their tank units to where they thought this fearsome general would arrive. Without this trickery the D-day invasion may of never succeeded.

Er, it might be possible that you need to log in before you're able to be greylisted. I'll try again.

EDIT: Alternatively, it's possible that I spelled your name incorrectly, I keep wanting to type in "Shadowwolf." See if it works now.

Below application is accepted as well.

HawkElite117

I do all kinds of stuff. Mining and building mostly I guess.

Essay: Gaius Julius Caesar began the Roman Empire even though he is not portrayed as the first Roman emperor. He conquered all of Gaul with military cunning, uniting it under Roman control and even invading Britain for the first time. He refused the Senate's orders to lay down his arms and return to Rome by crossing the Rubicon, enacting civil war. He had one legion, Pompey had ten. He eventually routed Pompey to Greece, soon defeating him at Pharsalus. He then was appointed sole dictator by Rome and marched upon Egypt. He arrived only to find Pompey already killed by the Egyptians. Cleopatra became his lover, mothering a child named Caesarion. He left Egypt and defeated Pompey's last senatorial allies in Africa and Spain, becoming completely unmatched politically. He created numerous reforms, militarily and politically; even a new calender system, which would later evolve to our modern day Gregorian calender. His untimely assassination led by Marcus Brutus and other senators led to the complete fall of the Roman Republic, and the beginning of the Roman Empire.

HawkElite117

I do all kinds of stuff. Mining and building mostly I guess.

Essay: Gaius Julius Caesar began the Roman Empire even though he is not portrayed as the first Roman emperor. He conquered all of Gaul with military cunning, uniting it under Roman control and even invading Britain for the first time. He refused the Senate's orders to lay down his arms and return to Rome by crossing the Rubicon, enacting civil war. He had one legion, Pompey had ten. He eventually routed Pompey to Greece, soon defeating him at Pharsalus. He then was appointed sole dictator by Rome and marched upon Egypt. He arrived only to find Pompey already killed by the Egyptians. Cleopatra became his lover, mothering a child named Caesarion. He left Egypt and defeated Pompey's last senatorial allies in Africa and Spain, becoming completely unmatched politically. He created numerous reforms, militarily and politically; even a new calender system, which would later evolve to our modern day Gregorian calender. His untimely assassination led by Marcus Brutus and other senators led to the complete fall of the Roman Republic, and the beginning of the Roman Empire.

which soon developed a terrible economy and while the generals were fighting themselves for power barbarians were basically let in through the holes and soon rome fell but a while before the fall of rome there was an emporer (i forgot his name) who split the empire in 2 between the east and the west because it was too big for one nation to rule. So while the eastern part fell the western half was around for another 100 years or so.

which soon developed a terrible economy and while the generals were fighting themselves for power barbarians were basically let in through the holes and soon rome fell but a while before the fall of rome there was an emporer (i forgot his name) who split the empire in 2 between the east and the west because it was too big for one nation to rule. So while the eastern part fell the western half was around for another 100 years or so.

You are correct on some things, but I see some errors, the eastern part was attacked by the Huns multiple times as well as other middle eastern empires (sassanids, arabic tribes, persia, etc.). They endured long enough for the Hunnic Empire to end. The Western Empire succumbed to multiple barbarian invasion and internal problems, such as a weakened economy, the rise of serfdom, (yes you were correct on the legates seizing power but also) the emperors competed with their other eastern counterparts over numerous things, the rise of christianity led to social and religion conflicts with the pagan believers. The lack of economical trade grew to cities such as milan and ravenna to hire mercenaries, which evolved slowly into the Italian city-states. Barbarian tribes noticed the lack of legionaries on Rome's borders due to inefficient training and the farms giving the legions more weak soldiers. Yes there was plenty of Legates leading resistance movements, but the hordes of barbarians were too strong and too far spread. There were revolts in Britain and Gaul, invading through Spain and crossing over to Africa, they sacked Carthage, which led to large food shortages. Rome was sacked by the Ostrogothic ruler Odoacer. This is seen as the end of the western roman empire at 476 AD. The eastern slowly evolved into the byzantine empire over many generations. They even took back Italy and parts of Africa at one point, but could not hold it once the Ottomans sacked Constantinople in 1453 AD.

Announcements

• Anything claiming to be official Technic servers are not allowed here, for obvious reasons