Things that make you hate SMP

There are only so many rules a server and its admins can have in place and enforce. There are always going to be cracks in any system. And there are always going to be those people who don't give a rats a** about anyone. The server I play on has rules banning griefers and thief's. If you are found to have committed these acts, you are banned. We have plugins to see who has placed/removed blocks and interacted with blocks (Hawk Eye). It seems that no matter what we have in place, people still steal and grief. I'm a mod on my server. I have made a market, that was severely griefed and stolen from during a time when LWC was broken and all of the storage chests had been broken and stolen from. That has sense been emptied out by myself and the owner and is now waiting for renovations. I made a tutorial for new players-in which were unlocked project tables to show how to craft some basic items in the mod pack. Those were stolen from. I have put a lot of effort into making things for my server, and it seems every time I spend a good deal of time making something for the better of the server it gets griefed and everything able to be stolen, gets stolen.I spent several hours making the tutorial this passed weekend. I then had a 3 day review session for school before we are done next week. I did not have time to check on my things.

I'm not writing this with any expectation of the community helping. I just need to vent about it. I play this game to relax at the end of a long day-and it works until some dumb kid comes around and decides that because he (or she) can take things, they do.

Here's a life lesson to those of you who don't understand respect: just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should go ahead and do it.

Remember the golden rule?

Okay, I'm done whining for now.

This is why server should not have rules, but nerfs and adjustements. If you tell someone not to greif, what will they do? Same goes for exploits: Dont exploit the EE dupebugs or you will be banned. Like right ....

Dont make rules, make the fixes!

That's a rule. Definition of rule: what is allowed, when disallowed actions happen, punishment occurs.

Yes, he was saying it sarcastically "'Don't exploit EE bugs or you will be banned'. Like right [as if that rule would ever work]..." <-- brackets added by me to make it clearer.

Bottom line: unless you're playing with a close group of friends, don't expect anybody to ever follow any rules, unless they are extremely easy to enforce. Like... chat rules, for instance, are fine, because nobody can secretly break a chat rule. It's about chat, which is public and visible.

But rules about things like exploiting glitches never ever work, because the whole idea of an exploit is that it is cheating, so telling people they are cheating when they cheat isn't going to accomplish anything. If they were exploiting something in the first place, then that means they already don't CARE about breaking rules.

Like Sponge said, if you want to make sure somebody isn't going to do something sneaky, then make it impossible for them to do it, using any of the wonderful mods out there, like worldguard, towny, permissions, etc.

That is why I gave up on playing on any public server, I would love to play with a bunch of people but its not possible to never get griefed or hacked or our stuff stolen. If only there was a way to have servers with some kind of giant blacklist and admins and OP would be able to add any griefer name to the database (or better, the name is automatically added once you ban someone there) so they wouldn't be able to join any new servers that have a whitelist and automatically check their names to make sure they aren't on the blacklist database.

you may not be able to prevent griefers and thieves with rules, but with a halfway decent rollback plugin, you can fix it with minimal effort.

It's just frustrating. I play MC because I want to relax, have some fun, and use it to help cope with the stress of life. (And it's essentially free unlike my previous coping mechanism of wow.)

I know it's one of the things you have to deal with playing SMP and with being a server mod, but it still gets annoying to do something nice then basically get shit on for your efforts.

you may not be able to prevent griefers and thieves with rules, but with a halfway decent rollback plugin, you can fix it with minimal effort.

Might be correct, but whatever rules etc added, in the end means shit. Greifers and theives knows that rules are added for a reason, its an issue. No issue no rule right?

It's just frustrating. I play MC because I want to relax, have some fun, and use it to help cope with the stress of life. (And it's essentially free unlike my previous coping mechanism of wow.)

I know it's one of the things you have to deal with playing SMP and with being a server mod, but it still gets annoying to do something nice then basically get shit on for your efforts.

Might be correct, but whatever rules etc added, in the end means shit. Greifers and theives knows that rules are added for a reason, its an issue. No issue no rule right?

Perhaps, but Being a bit of target (due to my reputation here) I do get griefed a bit, and on most servers i've been on, getting it rolled back is as simple as saying "oh hey, i've been griefed. A bunch of stuff is missing." then an OP pops over and says "yup, s'been griefed alright." and then server magic happens and everything is back the way it was. a five minute affair most of the time.

And a team of 2 gets nice free stuff :P. All depends on where u go my friend. i would claim 99,5 % of the server has faulty rules, they are just there to justify a ban/kick.

I guess it might also be a part of how long ppl have been on SMP, I myselfe started on SMP on 1.5, starting with finding bugs for the server i was on right off the start. I know how this "we have rulez" shit works. Greifers serverhop, and make them nice posts, then exploit.

Untill stuff are properly fixes, rules means shit, sorry but true.

Nobody gets free stuff, most servers with decent administration have the necessary infrastructure to ban people who break rules.

If the server you're playing on can't figure out how to use things like logblock, hawkeye, etc. etc. you should find a better server, because things are only going to get worse.

As serverowner, i myselfe has 0 issues with it. I have alts, ive been around, rules in general means shit on those ive been at. All that has tried to run a server over a longer periode of time knows this.

Sorry

I just had a very hard time understanding all of this due to your poor spelling and use of grammar. But I think I understand the concept.

Nobody gets free stuff, most servers with decent administration have the necessary infrastructure to ban people who break rules.

If the server you're playing on can't figure out how to use things like logblock, hawkeye, etc. etc. you should find a better server, because things are only going to get worse.

I have the ability to use hawkeye as a mod on my server. I've had a lot of things go very wrong for me in recent days. Logging in this morning and realizing that yet again my work for the server has been screwed up because of some ungrateful little f*** was the icing on the cake. I honestly believe that I should not have to use these tools to find out who griefed. I hold people to a high standard, god-forbid society have expectations of common courtesy. It's just like common sense, non-existent in the younger generations.

Thing is, humans suck. Rules aren't tools for preventing things from happening, they're a tool for seeking recourse when people suck AT you. If you're having so much time and effort wasted, you might want to draft a couple more OPs. I can almost guarantee that if you're having troubles, ALL the OPs are stressed too.

Thing is, humans suck. Rules aren't tools for preventing things from happening, they're a tool for seeking recourse when people suck AT you. If you're having so much time and effort wasted, you might want to draft a couple more OPs. I can almost guarantee that if you're having troubles, ALL the OPs are stressed too.

When I said

I've had a lot of things go very wrong for me in recent days.

I meant in real life, not the game. It just seems to get worse too

Rules aren't tools for preventing things from happening, they're a tool for seeking recourse when people suck AT you

Absolutely right... To many times I've seen rules used as a "griefer shield". These rules seem to threaten or ATTEMPT to scare people in to obedience... or, there is the "biblical" wall of rules that put new players to sleep. They should only be used to simply state "what not to do" and "consequence of breaking a rule". I personally use rules... I believe in giving fair warning to new players.

And I only post the rules that are bannable... there are only a few, so it keeps the reading to a bare minimum and there is no misunderstanding of the outcome of breaking a rule.

If you're having so much time and effort wasted, you might want to draft a couple more OPs.

I've been running a server for over a year now... the best thing I have ever done was add 4 moderators. I picked only those who have been with the server from day one and who are literally on at different times of they day. This has helped tremendously with nixing griefers! Also, after a while, you and your mods will develop a natural "griefer radar" instinct. Some players just give off a bad vibe that you will eventually pick up on.

One thing that I have done to help with the misery of griefers was to build a griefer graveyard. I outlined a huge area with wood fencing, then dug out out a bunch 1x2 block plots and placed a headstone on each one. Every time I banned a griefer I would fill a plot with sand and place a sign on the headstone that displayed the griefer's name. Everyday people would log in and immediately go to the graveyard to see who "died"!

Having the graveyard didn't take the annoyance away, but it did add a bit of fun to it :)

And a team of 2 gets nice free stuff :P. All depends on where u go my friend. i would claim 99,5 % of the server has faulty rules, they are just there to justify a ban/kick.

I guess it might also be a part of how long ppl have been on SMP, I myselfe started on SMP on 1.5, starting with finding bugs for the server i was on right off the start. I know how this "we have rulez" shit works. Greifers serverhop, and make them nice posts, then exploit.

Untill stuff are properly fixes, rules means shit, sorry but true.

I have not a clue what your trying to say...that the rules can be broken, therefor the rules are pointless?

I have 'rules' for one reason, and one reason only. its MY server.

I'm paying the $110 a month to host it, out of my pocket. I admin it for free, the mods work for free out of love for the server. I will dictate the rules of my 'house' as I see fit much like I do in my real house when guests come over.

Our rules for the server are a general outline of "if you want to stay in my house for dinner, these are a few guidelines to follow to not be asked to leave".

Saying having rules because they can be broken is crap, is like saying "why have laws against murder..we need to fix the bug of people being murderable to start with."

"why have laws against murder..we need to fix the bug of people being murderable to start with."

We are working on that. Just be patient man, we got this.

But really, if you want to play on a server with all the items enabled and whatnot, you need to play with a group of friends. If you open up your tekkit server to the public without removing some of the more dangerous items, your gonna have a bad time. Griefers are like creepers, green, ugly, and all around general dicks.

Exactly warpspeed..

The rules aren't just there to 'stop people from doing exploits'

They are mostly there to outline ahead of time a set of guidelines me, and my players expect you to hold if you want to play in our sandbox If ANY player is dusrupting, or lowering the enjoyment of my server by the players, guess which one is leaving the server :P

They are there to give a clear line of "if you do X, you was warned ahead of time that we frown on"..no "well I didnt know it wasnt allowed!" loopholes to play with.

Sure people that want to break rules don't care if the rules are there...just like laws in like. people that willingly break them KNOW they are breaking them and don't care. But it gives a set of rules we can point at and go "well it was well known stabbing people in the neck on the subway isn't allowed..and you did it anyway, SO your knowledge that it was illegal before hand means you was willing to take that risk of punishment despite being warned if caught."

I never play on public servers really. There's just a horde of trolls going round from server to server greifing then going on to another. Luckily, a friend of mine runs a dedicated server so we just do a small friends only one. To be honest, it's more fun, less annoying and you can go a lot further. There's enough of us for events like PVP maps but not so many that we end up with hoards of random people, I guess it's just at that level, and it's at a level that non public servers can never reach because of all the haters, trolls and general idiots whose only idea of fun is trying to get banned from every server ever made.

That is why I gave up on playing on any public server, I would love to play with a bunch of people but its not possible to never get griefed or hacked or our stuff stolen. If only there was a way to have servers with some kind of giant blacklist and admins and OP would be able to add any griefer name to the database (or better, the name is automatically added once you ban someone there) so they wouldn't be able to join any new servers that have a whitelist and automatically check their names to make sure they aren't on the blacklist database.

I'm rather sure this exists - If I remember correctly, it's a Bukkit plugin which uses a blacklist hosted on a site. Whenever a server with the plugin installed bans a player, their name is added to the list with the reason for a ban. Other servers with the same plugin can even autokick or autoban players whose name is on that list. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name of the plugin, but I know it exists.

I used to play minecraft classic but got boring.

Just 2 months ago I thought I would give MC a try, and I loved it!

Started my own whitelisted bukkit server with 4 friends and we have a blast.

Since I cut back my twitch streaming of SC2, and BF3, I started streaming MC and get 5-10 viewers and people would talk and always ask to join, even though the title said "WHITELISTED"

Anyways, i decided to make a 2nd world, a "viewer" world with NO RULES, and give them a portal to my world, which they can't do anything other than eat, and use doors. I even offered to setup "plots" for people to build on in my world cause i don't mind. I just don't want my shit ruined.

But this is how it has been for the past week.

viewer: Hey can i join?

me: Yeah dude, read the rules and hop on in [rules just explain that the viewer world is for them and my world is for me, and be nice to other viewer's builds and their areas. That we play by the "honorary system". Oh and that i can give them plots in my world if they ask]

viewer: Can i help you build???!?

me: no i am in my world with my friends working on this project

viewer: but i can help!

me: no sorry, but i can give you a plot...

viewer: Can i go over and watch?

me: sure... that is 100% cool here are my cords...

viewer: can i build? pleaseeeee

viewer: can you TP me over? that is like 100 blocks over

me: no sorry this server is 100% legit, no TP.

viewer: well that is dumb... <walks over finally>

viewer: hey can you give me food? I can't havest your wheat for bread

me: I said in the rules, outloud on the stream and in chat that you need to bring your own food to this world.... i am not giving you what My friends and I WORKED FOR.

viewer: <starves to death>

viewer: hey why cant i help?

viewer: food please??

viewer: <falls to death>

viewer: this server sucks!

me: <just ignoring player chat and keep on skyping with my friends>

Like this has actually happened 2 times a day for the few 4 days that i "opened" my server viewers.

Then there is this one coolish guy, but he just bitches about people harvesting his wheat and NOT planting 1 freakn seed. Or they built too close to his area and he keeps asking me to protect his area in the viewer world.

And nobody has actually even taken a plot in my world. They all just beg to help with the project that I AM DOING.

Such a hassel to have to tell people NO over and over.

I think they just want to be "famous" by being on twitch? I don't know. So annoying and they all seem to be 12-15 year old kids.

Looks like i am just gunna go back to whitelist and block EVERYONE but my few friends.