[Bug][2.1.1]Is there a way to properly protect an area/chunks/spawn ?

NormenKD

Question

I have a nice rootserver desperately waiting to run Tekkit. We are already building a cliche spawn City (walls of text, tutorials, travelhub etc.) on a small, secret "offshore" vServer.

From all the small Bugs and annoyances that are still present in Tekkit (its still indev , i know) the ONLY thing hindering me to make it public is the broken Protection.

I want to make something not whitelisted, but those kind of servers only work if there is a way to protect certain areas.

If you haven't noticed yet, a protected area tends to prohibit normal users from destroying block just fine, but they are still able to place any block anywhere they want.

Im going to list a few things i tried(all these servers used jdk1.7_03):

Windows 7 Tekkit2.0: "Regios", "WorldGuard", "Factions", "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X"

Linux Tekkit2.0: "Regios", "WorldGuard", "Factions", "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X"

Windows 7 Tekkit2.1.1: "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X", "WorldGuard"

Linux Tekkit2.1.1: "bukkit.yml spawn-radius: X", "WorldGuard"

I also gathered a few Threads in this forum that cover the same Topic, some report mixed results for "Towny", everything else seems to be confirmed not working:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,2143.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,2376.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,1922.0.html

Is this "just a bug" that could get fixed in the next recomended build? is this even fixable for all the tekkit mods? tekkit seems to be based on craftbukkit 1.1R4, and there its working fine.

If its not fixable, i would have to start thinking about something web based to whitelist people. Maybe this will keep most trolls and griefers away.

Edit for the sake of the Formatting:

Launcher/pack Version: 2.1.1

Operating System: Linux Kernel 3.0

Version of Java: jdk1.7_03

Description of Problem: Protection through Bukkit itself or plugins does not work Properly. Block placement (vanilla blocks or mod blocks) is still possible in protected areas.

Error Messages: N/A

Link to pastebin of log: N/A

more topics edit:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,3707.0.html

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,3410.0.html

Probably best if i leave a lead to the solution here:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,4645.0.html

• Answers 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Re: Is there a way to properly protect an area/chunks/spawn ?

I just tested WorldEdit 5.2 + WorldGuard 5.5.1 with tekkit2.1.1 on jdk1.7_03 , its the same story: after i protected an area, users werent able do destroy blocks but still place them.

Please, if you dont personally know a way to protection working with tekkit, dont suggest mods i already tried.

we have the same problem, everytime i login I gotta fly around spawn and clear up the random dirt / sand / cobble plonked down.

most frustrating

its a mess yes, but i could live with aesthetics. The biggest problem on my first 2.0 server were people building drowning/suffocation-traps at spawn.

Are you absolutely sure that protection also prohibits BLOCK PLACEMENT ? In all those threads people are complaining about it not working as intended and i also visited many of the community servers from this forum and they all have the same problem: if i join i cant destroy blocks, but i can place them anywhere i like.

This has been an issue for a while, as as far as i can understand, its somehow CB related. We tried Worldguard, and Towny with the released Tekkit 2.0 build, and we have the same. I honestly think most servers have the issue (and if they fixed, they prob arent tellling bcouse they dont wanna contribute with fixes for the community ...)

I just want to throw my hat into the ring as well as another person having this problem. I have noticed this issue today with Residence protection but I have also been working all day on trying to find a solution to this for another Bukkit mod I'm trying to use called Jobs.

Basically what is going on is that with Residence, players are able to place blocks on protected areas which is the same issue that has been reported above. With Jobs, you are able to do different tasks such as mining, digging and building to earn XP and iConomy money. Everything works with that plugin as well except for anytime a block is placed down as you are not given credit through the form of XP or money making the builder class essentially useless.

Hopefully that helps to narrow down the problem which appears to not be with blocks being placed down but with Bukkit not detecting blocks that are being placed by the player.

if that "jobs" plugin has problems with recognizing block placement, this definitively seems fishy. I get the feeling that altering handling of block placement in bukkit was necessary to get some of the mods working in the first place. a shame if that is not fixable :/

I'd say this is actually pretty crutial to the point of having a tekkit server. Without proper grief protection then no real server can operate without restricting their player base.

Please make this a priority to resolve. I have recently started a tekkit server and we love it, but this causes us a big problem.

note: I just tested hawkeye and the same issue it detects block breaks but not block placement.

Same issue here. Tried Precious Stones and same issue, also same for P Stones. World Guard/Edit on several versions fails to stop block placement and my 4-5 hours of amazing spawn tree was destroyed the other day. I refuse to restore anything until there is some way to get working protections.

I'm having the same issue...and i've tried every protection plugin. I'm not sure whats causing it...i'm no developer...but the craftbukkit 1.1 r 4 and the tekkit jar have the same exact BlockPlaceEvent.class ... if theres any other classes i should check let me know :]

This specific reason why block placement isn't caught , is because Bukkits onBlockPlace isn't returning anything. Try the following for example:

import org.bukkit.event.EventHandler;

import org.bukkit.event.EventPriority;

import org.bukkit.event.Listener;

import org.bukkit.event.block.*;;

public class BlockListener implements Listener {

public BlockListener(Quick plugin) {

plugin.getServer().getPluginManager().registerEvents(this, plugin);

}

@EventHandler(priority = EventPriority.NORMAL)

public void onBlockPlace(BlockPlaceEvent event) {

System.out.println("Block Placed.");

}

public void onBlockBreak(BlockBreakEvent event) {

System.out.println("Block Broken.");

}

}

On a vanilla server, the console will print out both "Block Placed" and "Block Broken"; however on the Tekkit server it will just print out "Block Broken".

This specific reason why block placement isn't caught , is because Bukkits onBlockPlace isn't returning anything. Try the following for example:

import org.bukkit.event.EventHandler;

import org.bukkit.event.EventPriority;

import org.bukkit.event.Listener;

import org.bukkit.event.block.*;;

public class BlockListener implements Listener {

public BlockListener(Quick plugin) {

plugin.getServer().getPluginManager().registerEvents(this, plugin);

}

public void onBlockPlace(BlockPlaceEvent event) {

System.out.println("Block Placed.");

}

public void onBlockBreak(BlockBreakEvent event) {

System.out.println("Block Broken.");

}

}

On a vanilla server, the console will print out both "Block Placed" and "Block Broken"; however on the Tekkit server it will just print out "Block Broken".

thanks for the clarification man :)

I tried to replace blockplaceevent.class with one from bikkit. It gave the player his item back, but didn't remove the block. Seems everything bukkit to tekkit is the same. This doesn't make sense...

Probably not, and if they were, I wouldnt want them to waste one second telling us about it. And if they are not, then I wouldn't want them wasting one second on this, because they are probably using their own time to fix other things for us.

Thanks Team Tekkit! This thing probably grew into a bigger project than you all signed up for up, Thank You for sticking it out!