Deceptive Ads on Technicpack.net

ChrisPerson

I can't find a "site" subcategory, or anywhere to post this to, so I suppose I'll put it here.

I've been seeing some extremely deceptive ads on the main page, Technicpack.net - right below the most blog post/status update, there's an ad there. Now usually I use an ad blocker (I never click on ads anyways, and I can't find a rule against it), so when I went on to my iPhone to see if Technic Pack had been updated yet, I found an extremely deceptive ad (note: There is no version optimized for mobile devices, so the ad would show up on a PC too):

I don't have a picture at the moment (it's gone, but it'll come back), but it said "DOWNLOAD NOW!", then below that, two buttons, one that said "Free Trial", and the other saying "Full version: [price]", or something to that effect. Since there are no download buttons on the main page (thanks, freakachu!), to someone who had just found Technic/Tekkit, it might look like you had to pay for it. The entire ad is just a picture by the way. The buttons don't work (I tested it).

I don't know if the guys who run/own the site have control over the ads or not (probably not), but I still think that someone should know that there are those kind of scams for ads on the Technic Pack website.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find a "site" subcategory, or anywhere to post this to, so I suppose I'll put it here.

I've been seeing some extremely deceptive ads on the main page, Technicpack.net - right below the most blog post/status update, there's an ad there. Now usually I use an ad blocker (I never click on ads anyways, and I can't find a rule against it), so when I went on to my iPhone to see if Technic Pack had been updated yet, I found an extremely deceptive ad (note: There is no version optimized for mobile devices, so the ad would show up on a PC too):

I don't have a picture at the moment (it's gone, but it'll come back), but it said "DOWNLOAD NOW!", then below that, two buttons, one that said "Free Trial", and the other saying "Full version: [price]", or something to that effect. Since there are no download buttons on the main page, to someone who had just found Technic/Tekkit, it might look like you had to pay for it. The entire ad is just a picture by the way. The buttons don't work (I tested it).

I don't know if the guys who run/own the site have control over the ads or not (probably not), but I still think that someone should know that there are those kind of scams for ads on the Technic Pack website.

Those are the types of ads that are usually on things like adfly or Mediafire and such.

thanks for the info. one thing though, there is actually a download link for the launcher on the front page. obviously that's not what you were seeing there with the ad and such, but it does exist

Sorry about that, I didn't notice that - I've always gone to the "Technic" tab at the top of the site (not my browser).

Those are the types of ads that are usually on things like adfly or Mediafire and such.

I know, but it's still pretty bad considering that this ad was deliberately designed to look like a fake download link.

Intuitive interface, better scrolling?

Mercury has built in ad block. So I can use it for everything. it also has a feature that allows it to emulate a desktop browser, allowing you to do thing you normally can't do on an iOS device. Examples are uploading images from an iPad, disabling the very often feature lacking "mobile" versions of sites (I once tried to get into my gmail using safari because the email app wasn't working. Gmail, being dumb, kept automatically putting me into "mobile" version, and refused to let me access my mail.) and it allows you to sync your bookmarks with Firefox. It also allows you to install themes, disable ads, and browse in fullscreen mode. It also has support for multitouch gestures. All for free. What does your 3 dollar tapatalk app do?

Mercury has built in ad block. So I can use it for everything. it also has a feature that allows it to emulate a desktop browser, allowing you to do thing you normally can't do on an iOS device. Examples are uploading images from an iPad, disabling the very often feature lacking "mobile" versions of sites (I once tried to get into my gmail using safari because the email app wasn't working. Gmail, being dumb, kept automatically putting me into "mobile" version, and refused to let me access my mail.) and it allows you to sync your bookmarks with Firefox. It also allows you to install themes, disable ads, and browse in fullscreen mode. It also has support for multitouch gestures. All for free. What does your 3 dollar tapatalk app do?

Easy access to most forums, also no ads whatsoever, makes it easier to use the forum without feature limitation, and wait, Mercury is free? Damn.

We only have very limited control over which ads display. I've brought the issue up with the guys before but donno if we can really do much about it. From what I understand, those kinds of ads pop up a lot because there is a download link on the page. You'll see the same thing on just about every torrent site ever. We try to have it display mostly video game related ads but we can't make it 100%. I don't like those deceptive ads either. I wish google would filter them. :(

People clicking our ads helps us pay for the site, so I don't want anyone feeling tricked into it. No one is going to want to click our decent ads for video game stuff if they've been tricked by one crappy one before.

You guys want to see thread degredation? This is a masterpiece: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/ok-so-i-want-to-add-readd-some-mods-wich-of-these-are-compatable-cheers.26278/

EDIT:

We only have very limited control over which ads display. I've brought the issue up with the guys before but donno if we can really do much about it. From what I understand, those kinds of ads pop up a lot because there is a download link on the page. You'll see the same thing on just about every torrent site ever. We try to have it display mostly video game related ads but we can't make it 100%. I don't like those deceptive ads either. I wish google would filter them. :(

I was going to say that i am pretty sure that Google is terribad at getting rid of malicious or untrustworthy ads.