Unpleasant News For The Future Of Tekkit

jakj

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? The source code for CraftBukkit/etc is right here on GitHub and is licensed under the LGPLv3.

its not the craftbukkit source that is the issue, its the mappings that relate from this jar to minecraft_server.jar , that takes the time to figure out,the 40-60 hours, (and even more based on what i saw cpw say on irc, it can take up to 100 hrs to get all the functions mapped properly) if the guys at bukkit shared this information, it would make cpw's work a lot easier, instead of having to start over each and every time.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but I'm just getting into running my own Tekkit server. I saw the post on the News page here on what is going on. Seeing as I'm not quite in the know on what is going on there's a lot of negative outlooks but no clear picture on what this means for everyone.

Can someone state what the bottom line up front is? Does this mean Tekkit/Technic will slowly die?

Please forgive my ignorance here, but I'm just getting into running my own Tekkit server. I saw the post on the News page here on what is going on. Seeing as I'm not quite in the know on what is going on there's a lot of negative outlooks but no clear picture on what this means for everyone.

Can someone state what the bottom line up front is? Does this mean Tekkit/Technic will slowly die?

Basically, two of the things which Tekkit uses, Bukkit(Servers which can run "Plugins", effectively server mods which don't need client mods) and Forge(The API which the mods in Tekkit need to run), have become incompatible in more recent versions of Minecraft. People aren't sure whether this will end up being a good or bad thing, since Forge is planning on releasing it's own version of Bukkit, which could be extremely useful, however could also seriously limit the amount of plugins available(Hopefully not though, since Forge is replicating some of the more important plugins for its users to run without needing Bukkit).

So the bottom line is, future versions of Tekkit won't have Bukkit, but Forge will replace Bukkit. So no, Tekkit won't die, it will merely switch to a different type of server. Technic will be completely unaffected.

As a side note, has anyone else considered that this will probably mean that we don't need mods to be ported to Bukkit anymore, so we can use mods without waiting for a newer version on a Bukkit port? *Cough*ICBM*Cough*

There is always a bright side. Tekkit and Technic could ally with someone else. Gloves off so to speak and take Tekkit in a new better direction. I think Tekkit is hands down the best modpack launcher for Minecraft. I think what could set it over the top is new Mobs. I could name some of these. But its futile unless you get all the makers of these mods to give permission to develop from all the modpacks and create one pack that uses all the creatures for Tekkit only. Or at least start the ball rolling to get it working. One or two of these work great on SMP! Some others don't! Imagine all these modders working together for a new modpack and designed to work with Tekkit. With even half of the creatures working with new features it would be better than anything Mojang is doing. And it would be years ahead of anything they are doing. At the rate Mojang is going you may as well be in the stone age compared to Tekkit. Add the new mobs and I will forget about Vanilla forever. All I need to know is who to support $$$$$$$

Nuff said!

Just to have this completelly clarified, please guys, will the next tekkit version already get rid of bukkit?

If it's like that then i think i'm mooving onto vanilla bukkit server instead because my server heavily relies in bukkit plugins, it's not a choice for me, i cant wait for months to have a proper permissions and a world edit like plugin in my server, and so many vital things like the terrain control plugin wont even exist in forge no matter how many time we wait.

Just to have this completelly clarified, please guys, will the next tekkit version already get rid of bukkit?

If it's like that then i think i'm mooving onto vanilla bukkit server instead because my server heavily relies in bukkit plugins, it's not a choice for me, i cant wait for months to have a proper permissions and a world edit like plugin in my server, and so many vital things like the terrain control plugin wont even exist in forge no matter how many time we wait.

By the next update, Bukkit should be gone, but most important plugins will be replaced (Hopefully). I guess you'll just have to check what's available when the update comes round.

I have a bigger question. Where do the guys over at http://www.mcportcentral.co.za stand on all of this, and does that matter, if we abandon bukkit and get a forge replacement instead? I looked and only see craftbukkit ports of things SO...

-------are they active supporters of bukkit and will do nothing to help if needed?

OR

-------are they porting things from single player to the only SMP system bukkit, thus if a new SMP system opens via, the folks at Forge, will they start porting to that anything that needs such ports?

I see all of these options having downsides too, for example: imagine the work load (if they do start forge ports as well) being DOUBLE now over there, causing things to grind to a near halt on updates for things there too. Thus little known mods like say SecretRooms and KaevatorSuperSlopes will possibly NEVER get update in time for tekkit updates :(

Of course if we DON'T need ports with a new Forge SMP system that would be spectacular.

That's a silly idea, refutable due to many modders having their heads firmly lodged up their collective anus, and given the inane history of Technic/Tekkit.

I just thought the Who do I support $$$$ should carry weight! I understand it won't happen. I just had to put in my vote at least once no matter how futile it is. Thanks for the reply!

I'm fairly sure that most, if not all, the MCPC builds are actually Forge mods, so they're Forge side. Without Forge, they don't do anything.

:o:) this could be indeed good news then. just a matter of time for the forge people to get with creating their own server side system, and then we can dump Bukkit since having two groups working on things causes all sorts of conflicts anyway even if they both work under the same roof, let alone being separated as they are making it even more awkward.

Mind you this is me NOT taking sides on who is right and who is wrong, who is a good guy and who is a douche nozzle, just noting what would be more logically a sound movement. I personally do not know what is going on, on a more personal level and really do not care, I just hope it all works out.

There is a CB 1.4.2 released, alphastages atm but its working :)

That doesn't actually have that much to do with this topic. This is about the Forge compatibility with Bukkit, not when Bukkit will be updated.

I don't worry to much about this. This might cause a delay for good server management tools, but fortunately it is not just server admins with Tekkit servers that want to use forge mods in combination with bukkit plugins. I expect a shift to Forge and plugin functionality to appear as Forge mods.

It is also in the interest of the mod developers after all. They want to see their mods being used on servers.

Uh, excuse me? [Citation Needed], guy. Why would Forge be incapable of this?

I'm not saying forge will not be capable of this and much more indeed, if i'd have to choose i'd choose forge over bukkit for many reasons, BUT, my server heavily relies on bukkit plugins, and e.g. Terrain Control will not be avalaible in forge as far as i know, and i need terrain control, not something like it. To clarify, for my server is more important to have terrain control than the whole Tekkit.

Same applies to other plugins i use, it may happen we get a forge version for some of the most popular plugins, but you know, there is thousands of plugins, and i use some "freack" ones that i really doubt i'll ever see a forge version.

So sadly, if bukkit is removed from tekkit, my server will have to say good bye to it, at least until forge/tekkit gets loads of mods like bukkit now has.

but i assume that this will take a lot of time, and i cant have a plugin-less (aka forge-tekkit) or an un-actualized (Tekkit 3.1.2) server in the meantime.

I'm trying to think of a solution to keep runing tekkit until the forge server gets more mods, but so far i dont see it.

Okay, call me a noob, but why is this so bad?

Try running a open public server with vanilla tekkit (if that can be a term)..I mean tekkit with no plugins at all.

Id give it a week before its overrun with griefers, people playing with nukes on other peoples houses, every diamond chest looted THEN stolen, people deciding that huge factory setup that guy that just logged off has looks nice, and decides to tear it down and take it home with him...etc :)

Lamenting over a problem isn't an efficient use of time; better to apply yourself to a solution, or otherwise determine the problem isn't worth solving.

Can't use plugins in a post-Bukkit Tekkit? Make some server-side Forge mods.

Can't program the mods alone? Collaborate with others, put it on Github, invite everyone to the party.

Can't be bothered to contribute to a solution? Wait it out on Tekkit 3.1.2 until more server mods become available.