Balking at Mojang ID and PW

Tom in Boston

Hi all,

It's 51-yr-old Dad here, trying to install the latest mod that the kids want.  It's not the usual process of copying ZIPs and JARs to the proper folders - a piece of software is going to do that for me.  OK, the kids really want this mod, so we'll install Technic Launcher as seems to be required.  OK, installed.  Please enter Mojang ID and password.  Nope!  Why should I give Technic Launcher my Mojang ID and PW?  I'd love to read about why this is necessary.  Is there a one-page about this software and what it does?  Screenshots?  The About page has history and bios.  The Wiki doesn't seem to be written for beginners like me.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thank you!

Dad/Tom.

3 hours ago, Tom in Boston said:

Hi all,

It's 51-yr-old Dad here, trying to install the latest mod that the kids want.  It's not the usual process of copying ZIPs and JARs to the proper folders - a piece of software is going to do that for me.  OK, the kids really want this mod, so we'll install Technic Launcher as seems to be required.  OK, installed.  Please enter Mojang ID and password.  Nope!  Why should I give Technic Launcher my Mojang ID and PW?  I'd love to read about why this is necessary.  Is there a one-page about this software and what it does?  Screenshots?  The About page has history and bios.  The Wiki doesn't seem to be written for beginners like me.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thank you!

Dad/Tom.

When signing into the Technic Launcher, you must have a legitimate Mojang account with a purchase of Minecraft associated with it, and you must be using the details for that Mojang account You must provide the same credentials as you would use to sign in at https://account.mojang.com/login. This is typically your Email and Password. The login information is used to verify your Minecraft information for Mojang's server. If this information fails, it is either your launcher not able to access the internet or your email/password failing. If your account information is incorrect, then you need to go to Mojang and reset your password and/or further bother them. If it's your internet, make sure you have permitted Java to be able to access the internet. For those of you who want to be 100% sure your information is not being stolen by Technic, here is the code used: https://github.com/TechnicPack/MinecraftCore/blob/master/src/main/java/net/technicpack/minecraftcore/mojang/auth/AuthenticationService.java#L97:L111

Yes, this was copypasted from the discord server.

FYI, this doesn't answer my questions.  I have a Minecraft ID and PW.  I'm sure that it would pass validation.  What does Technic Launcher need it for?  I don't want to log into Minecraft, I just want to install a mod.  Basic computer security sense tells me that I shouldn't provide a third party with a password unless it's needed for something.  What does TL do that would require it?  (When I tried to find this answer, I couldn't find a good answer to "What does TL do?"  I know it's needed to install the "Race to the Moon" mod that I'm trying to install, but what is its general purpose?  An "About" page should answer that question in terms that a 51-yr-old computer science major can understand.)

• Moderators

the copy pasted text that Jaari provided did answer that.

The Technic launcher, or the other launchers like ATlauncher or FTB/Curse/Twitch launcher, do the same thing as Mojang's launcher; it sends a ping to Mojang's authentication server, asking if the account ID exists.

The Mojang authentication server will send a ping back to our launcher, either answering Yes or Nope.

If the answer is yes, you will get in on our launcher and be able to install our official packs or packs provided by the community through our Platform https://www.technicpack.net/modpacks

If the answer is Nope, then you wont get in and the launcher will simply state that your account doesn't exist.

You are right to doubt third-party based apps, but please take note that the Technic launcher has been around since 2011 and we have always been transparent on our doings.

The link to the github Jaari provided is the full code the launcher is built of that anyone can visit and read. If we did anything with your account, or the thousands of accounts that already uses it, certain people would know of it.

There are other developers, those who take interest in security software as you do, they have undoubtly looked at the github site. Feel free to take a look at it yourself, or copy the link and show it to someone who understands it better.

also also, there is a term that players keep getting confused. the term Mod and Modpack.

Mod is a single modification, that changes or adds to the game however the mod dev made it. This is an example of a mod https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/tinkers-construct

A Modpack is a portfolio filled with mods, that can either be carefully designed and built to a specific degree. An example of a modpack is here https://www.technicpack.net/modpack/hexxit.552552/mods where the mod Tinkers is also in.

What our Technic launcher, and other launchers like it, does is launch these prebuilt portfolios of mods with a click of a button. Back in the past 2010-2011, you had to download single mods yourself and alter the minecraft.jar to be able to play. The launcher eases the process so nobody has to be a computer geek to figure it out.

As a final note; why does the Technic launcher require your account ID? Why can't it just let you and anyone else download and play the game?

Because that would be piracy.

Minecraft is a game you pay once to play. If the Technic launcher allowed players to install modpacks and play the game without checking the authenticity of your account, we would allow piracy and that will not fly by with Mojang (or Microsoft that owns Mojang today).

I hope this clarifies some points. Feel free to ask more questions or join us in Technic Discord for more direct contact.

Aha - thank you - Technic Launcher both manages thousands of mods/modpacks and launches Minecraft directly, and you can't have one function without the other.  Sorry - I know that this should be obvious to me with the word "launcher" in the title.  I wasn't getting that it was a replacement for the Mojang Minecraft launcher; I was just looking for the mod installer.  Thank you for your patience.