Minecraft Account Migrations & New Accounts

Lord Ptolemy

Account Type  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Is your account a Microsoft account?

• No, I still have a Minecraft.net account(login w/ username)
    • No, I still have a Mojang account(login w/ email)
    • Yes, I've migrated my account
    • Yes, I bought game after December 1st 2020

This poll is closed to new votes

• Forum Administrators

Microsoft Account support is now available on the launcher's Beta Stable branch. Please see the update on 5/22/21 for more information. Please see the blog post https://www.technicpack.net/article/support-for-microsoft-accounts-is-now-available.165

If you've read the recent MC account migration (https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/java-edition-moving-house) and you use Technic Launcher (or any other custom launchers), then do not migrate your account (to a Microsoft account) or you will be unable to use the launcher.

The new auth system that Minecraft uses after this migration isn't support by any MC launchers other than the vanilla launcher, nor do we currently have any information about it so we can implement it.

When? According to Mojang, you'll be forced to migrate your account starting in early 2021. We hope to have support for their new auth system by then. The migration is currently not ongoing.

What if I create a new Minecraft account? Minecraft accounts created on December 1st, 2020 and later, are bound to Microsoft accounts already, and won't be able to use the Technic Launcher, or any other third-party launcher, until Mojang/Microsoft create a solution we can use.

UPDATES

5/23/21

https://www.technicpack.net/article/support-for-microsoft-accounts-is-now-available.165

5/22/21

4/11/21

2/27/21

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators
3 hours ago, mcarrich15 said:

Somehow has the FTB-Client no issues with that at all.

The FTB/Curse/Twitch/Overwolf/whatever they're now, just use the Vanilla launcher. So you're running 2 launchers in order to play. The majority of other launchers, including ours, re-implement the auth flow and other functions of the Vanilla launcher in order to not have to install it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators

We're also stuck waiting for Microsoft and Mojang's solution for third-party launchers.

There are other launchers that have implemented a solution for MS accounts, but it's based on reverse-engineered information and we could get a Cease & Desist from Microsoft if we went down that route.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it not possible just to remove this login process for people on Microsoft accounts? I understand you do this to make sure that the person has a full copy of the game, but surely that should be something Mojang are concerned about. If they are not making this easy on you, then you should not worry about doing their work for them. I've got a server where some people who've migrated recently cannot access the server anymore. Something surely has to be done?

34 minutes ago, ChristopherS said:

Is it not possible just to remove this login process for people on Microsoft accounts? I understand you do this to make sure that the person has a full copy of the game, but surely that should be something Mojang are concerned about. If they are not making this easy on you, then you should not worry about doing their work for them. I've got a server where some people who've migrated recently cannot access the server anymore. Something surely has to be done?

So you are saying we should just allow every cracked person on the launcher?

6 minutes ago, JaariAtmc said:

So you are saying we should just allow every cracked person on the launcher?

Quite frankly, yes. It seems that Mojang are dragging their feet on this, and from looking at what people (legitimate Microsoft accounts) are saying about being unable to access certain MP servers, then absolutely yes. The job of policing cracked accounts should be on Microsoft, not places like Technic. If Microsoft gave effective tools that allowed legitimate players access here, then this idea would never have crossed my mind. But at the minute, again, absolutely yes.

What I was getting at was I read that other launchers reverse engineer the login aspect, but Technic won't do that due to cease and desist concerns. Surely Mojang/Microsoft wouldn't do that, or they would have already done this to others? Surely they would use their brain to understand that there is no other avenue for Microsoft accounts (which they are now forcing us to move to). 

My frustration is not held here with Technic, it's purely aimed at Mojang/Microsoft. I just don't want to end up shutting my server off to move it to another mod-pack or vanilla. Do you know, are Mojang/Microsoft actually doing anything at all on this front, or is it going to be that it effect so few people (in ratio of the total playerbase) that they just won't care? Bah.

• Forum Administrators

As far as I know, Microsoft/Mojang are working on this.

We're still waiting, but if nothing comes soon then we might have no option but to roll the reverse engineered stuff. We already have people who are unable to play Technic packs because new accounts are MS accounts, so I definitely understand and share your frustration with this.

Well, I mean, I just bought Minecraft, as meaning I have a Microsoft account for Minecraft: Java Edition, and I'm only trying to get my modpack running, and I find it quite frustrating. Nah, real frustrating. I do understand the concern of cracked people being able to use you're launcher, but to be honest, the migration is said to be in early 2021, so if you could only just let go of the Minecraft.net Login and use the Technic login for the meanwhile until the migration has begun, that would be really awesome. I am told I am not a man of the brightest ideas, so I would completely understand if you find this suggestion really crappy, but that's the best idea that popped in my head that no one else had.

• Forum Administrators
9 minutes ago, SwaggyPotato909 said:

Well, I mean, I just bought Minecraft, as meaning I have a Microsoft account for Minecraft: Java Edition, and I'm only trying to get my modpack running, and I find it quite frustrating. Nah, real frustrating. I do understand the concern of cracked people being able to use you're launcher, but to be honest, the migration is said to be in early 2021, so if you could only just let go of the Minecraft.net Login and use the Technic login for the meanwhile until the migration has begun, that would be really awesome. I am told I am not a man of the brightest ideas, so I would completely understand if you find this suggestion really crappy, but that's the best idea that popped in my head that no one else had.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:36 PM, Pyker said:

We're not going to turn our launcher into a cracked launcher.

• Forum Administrators
2 hours ago, SwaggyPotato909 said:

You are literally asking us to transform our legitimate launcher into an illegal, cracked launcher. You can probably see why we won't do that.

I can say with 100% confidence that third-party, non-cracked launchers are not broken by this migration. I run Lunar Launcher, which is not a cracked launcher, and doesn't allow you to play with a cracked account (Unless you get a cracked version of their launcher illegitimately), and never ever ever requires you to punch in your login credentials. It latched to my main client, and since I was logged in on that, I was good to go. A similar method should be able to be implemented here. And this big concern about turning your client into a "Cracked Client" doesn't make sense, not only given how Lunar Launcher works, but also given the fact that your launcher has already been cracked, and can be accessed by cracked accounts that way. And this is very, very publicly known. Essentially you're forcing legit players to use a cracked version of your service just to play with these modpacks.

• Forum Administrators

We're aware of how the Curseforge launcher works (with embedding the vanilla launcher), but that's a *really* fragile solution and it resulted in some very broken functionality.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:08 AM, Pyker said:

We're aware of how the Curseforge launcher works (with embedding the vanilla launcher), but that's a *really* fragile solution and it resulted in some very broken functionality.

I dont know if you are aware but Voidswrath implemented a microsoft login, so i was wondering if you guys are close or have some update or date that this might arrive.

15 hours ago, VMAQ said:

I dont know if you are aware but Voidswrath implemented a microsoft login, so i was wondering if you guys are close or have some update or date that this might arrive.

Probably they are but for some reason they can't 😕

Edited by Sonic5959