Minecraft Account Migrations & New Accounts

Lord Ptolemy

Account Type  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Is your account a Microsoft account?

• No, I still have a Minecraft.net account(login w/ username)
    • No, I still have a Mojang account(login w/ email)
    • Yes, I've migrated my account
    • Yes, I bought game after December 1st 2020

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, HyperBuckley said:

It's sad to see everything change. I only know Lunar Client is one of the only third party launchers with a Sign In with Microsoft feature. Honestly if mod launchers begin to die since soon it's gonna me mandatory to migrate, MC won't be the same.

when did lunar implement it? i had to switch to badlion because lunar didnt have a microsoft login api

29 minutes ago, VMAQ said:

when did lunar implement it? i had to switch to badlion because lunar didnt have a microsoft login api

Both Lunar and Badlion do not have a microsoft login api. That's the whole issue here. They used a reverse engineered method, and that's a legal gray area at best. Especially since it involves a reverse engineered auth flow from Microsoft.

On 1/18/2021 at 8:57 AM, SwaggyPotato909 said:

Well, I mean, I just bought Minecraft, as meaning I have a Microsoft account for Minecraft: Java Edition, and I'm only trying to get my modpack running, and I find it quite frustrating. Nah, real frustrating. I do understand the concern of cracked people being able to use you're launcher, but to be honest, the migration is said to be in early 2021, so if you could only just let go of the Minecraft.net Login and use the Technic login for the meanwhile until the migration has begun, that would be really awesome. I am told I am not a man of the brightest ideas, so I would completely understand if you find this suggestion really crappy, but that's the best idea that popped in my head that no one else had.

well from someone who is in a business collage it wont ever happen that cracked people will be able to use technic launcher. it is way better if Mojang and Microsoft collab and make it so that people like me will be able to use the launcher with a microsoft account ass well. they will have to reprogramm the launcher into doing fast checks on the accounts and make sure they already have the vanilla minecraft and that it is paid for but of course they will probably be too lazy or one of the companies wont want to do it without a good pay from the other company. This is really frustraing for all of us but if the two companies put aside money and fame and put the intrest of the costomers first they will be able to figure something out. It is very unlikely though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 7:11 AM, BlippityBlop321 said:

I can say with 100% confidence that third-party, non-cracked launchers are not broken by this migration. I run Lunar Launcher, which is not a cracked launcher, and doesn't allow you to play with a cracked account (Unless you get a cracked version of their launcher illegitimately), and never ever ever requires you to punch in your login credentials. It latched to my main client, and since I was logged in on that, I was good to go. A similar method should be able to be implemented here. And this big concern about turning your client into a "Cracked Client" doesn't make sense, not only given how Lunar Launcher works, but also given the fact that your launcher has already been cracked, and can be accessed by cracked accounts that way. And this is very, very publicly known. Essentially you're forcing legit players to use a cracked version of your service just to play with these modpacks.

Lunar Client still forces me to log in sometimes after I start it. On the main menu screen where you can choose either Singleplayer or Multiplayer there is a button in the top left that shows what account you're signed into, sometimes it doesn't and you have to log in again. Also, cracked Technic accounts? I've never heard of this so far. And how the hell are they forcing players to use a cracked version? They are trying their best to fix this situation and if the people can't keep silent and patient, it's their fault. Imagine waiting for the new Iphone and then all of a sudden someone screams out and then just use a free, crappy version. It's not Apple's fault for not being fast enough, we can't all be The Flash.

Hello! Has there been any updates on this topic?

I had the idea that maybe once everyone is required to assimilate to Microsoft accounts, perhaps the launcher could do usernames and passwords for the Minecraft account instead of email?

I think that still resembles a Microsoft login which I understand is potentially illegal for you to do without permission, but maybe when the big change is finalized technic could post something where it requires everyone to do a security check? like you log in with your username and password, but to fully have access legally you have to validate your email that is attached to the username.

Would that work as an efficient loophole or is it the same issue? because if not, most emails have phone numbers and backup emails attached to them. What you maybe could do is have the login attached to the secondary email or phone number. That way its still connected to the Microsoft account but instead through the phone number or secondary email so its not a direct usage. It is in a legal gray area I still think, but many sites and accounts already verify with phone numbers and verification codes instead of the actual password and username/email anyways.

This is just a thought, I'm sorry that everyone is stressing you out with this, I know you're trying your best and that microsoft quite literally is pulling the rug from beneath you. Thank you for your hard work, if there's any way I can help I would love to assist. Though in the meantime, I know it is your brand products but it would be very kind of you to allow downloads of the approved modpacks, at least the official technic modpacks, for those who are already forced to migrate and have to install manually. That would be so appreciated, but I understand if you do not wish to, it is kind of charity. 

• Forum Administrators

An update:

Mojang/Microsoft just changed their stance on third-party launchers. Previously, they said they were working on a solution to allow third-party launchers to authenticate with their new login system (Microsoft accounts), but now they have decided to drop any support for that entirely, and are instead relying on us to roll out our own support.

WILL THIRD-PARTY LAUNCHERS CONTINUE TO WORK?  

Mojang Studios does not officially support community third-party launchers for either Mojang Account or Microsoft Account (MSA) based authentication.  There are members of the community who have built their own and individually registered applications that support MSA authentication. Build and use third-party launchers at your own risk.    

https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/360050865492

With all this said, we already had a backup plan in mind, and we'll start working on that so everyone can use Technic once again, regardless of having a Microsoft account or not.

17 hours ago, Pyker said:

An update:

Mojang/Microsoft just changed their stance on third-party launchers. Previously, they said they were working on a solution to allow third-party launchers to authenticate with their new login system (Microsoft accounts), but now they have decided to drop any support for that entirely, and are instead relying on us to roll out our own support.

https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/360050865492

With all this said, we already had a backup plan in mind, and we'll start working on that so everyone can use Technic once again, regardless of having a Microsoft account or not.

Thanks for the update! I've been following this thread for a while hoping for good news. It's too bad Microsoft couldn't have just provided support, but at least they have finally stated their stance. I just hope that by " Build and use third-party launchers at your own risk.", they mean data-risk and not legal-risk.

• Forum Administrators

I think legally it would be very very complicated for them. I'm just annoyed they started working on something and gave up halfway, but at least they're not saying third-party launchers aren't allowed, just that we're on our own.

Hello! I don't know if this will help but early I had submitted a ticket to see what the staff's standpoint was on the whole issue and to me it sounds like they aren't hostile towards the idea of third party launchers! So I'm getting the impression that there won't really be a legal issue, if that's any relief to you!! Thank you for working so hard on this, if there's anything I can do to help I would love to help.

technic.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 5:24 PM, JaariAtmc said:

Both Lunar and Badlion do not have a microsoft login api. That's the whole issue here. They used a reverse engineered method, and that's a legal gray area at best. Especially since it involves a reverse engineered auth flow from Microsoft.

Funny how we kicked that whole thing off and forced Moejang to migrate from old systems earlier than planned...

Anyway, do you not accept clean room implementations? I.e. I'm volunteering to describe the flow in detail. I live on the Moon, so legally there're no problems for me (Information shall be free).

On 12/9/2020 at 3:58 AM, Lord Ptolemy said:

I ain't no pro but curseforge allows you to play with a microsoft account now...

I used to play with a friend's account but now that i got mine i can't play technicpacks anymore...