Old School RPG Games

Mooseman9

On Steam, there is a game that is greenlit called Secrets of Grindea. I've watched the trailer for it, and this game looks flipping amazing. The only problem is, it hasn't been released yet. Since then, I've been craving to play a game similar to this, but have been unable to find one after minutes of googling.

What I'm asking is, can you guys suggest any games that are similar to this?

Yeah, I've seen it as well, and I must say that it looks fantasic. However, the only game I can think of is "Golden Sun" and its sequels for the Gameboy Advance. But I think it might not fit into this kind of category, Golden Sun's gameplay is sort of like the Final Fantasy games on the Gameboys. With other words, it's a action RPG game, and even to this day, I still think it's phenomenal, fluent gameplay, amazing music and great graphics.

But as I said, it may not fit into the category. And it's a bigger problem if you don't own the game already (because if you're going to buy it now, it will probably be really expensive), and it gets worse if you don't even own a Gameboy Advance.

Old school RPG games? I'll give you a list of some of the best I've played. No idea how similar to that game they are, but I love them ;)

Age Of Empires II

Empire Earth

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (and expansion Clone Campaigns)

They're all amazing games, and well worth playing

Looks like Secret of Mana for the Super Nintendo, to me.

Which you should totally play, because it was downright amazing.

Other old school games i'd suggest, that probably don't fit as well:

Legend of Dragoon (if you're into 4-disc, long haul RPGs)

Final Fantasy VI, which is non-negotiable. now that most FF7 fanboys have grown up enough to identify their own nostalgia goggles, FFVI is starting to be recognized as the best final fantasy game so far.

Lunar: Silver Star Story

Looks like Secret of Mana for the Super Nintendo, to me.

Which you should totally play, because it was downright amazing.

I've had it sitting on my computer for a while now, but haven't gotten around to playing it.

Other old school games i'd suggest, that probably don't fit as well:

Legend of Dragoon (if you're into 4-disc, long haul RPGs)

Final Fantasy VI, which is non-negotiable. now that most FF7 fanboys have grown up enough to identify their own nostalgia goggles, FFVI is starting to be recognized as the best final fantasy game so far.

Lunar: Silver Star Story

I'll try those after SoM. Would they work on pcsx2?

I've had it sitting on my computer for a while now, but haven't gotten around to playing it.

I'll try those after SoM. Would they work on pcsx2?

Not likely, but if you're already gonna emulate, I'd use pSX (aka pSXfin) for Lunar and FFVI, and ePSXe for legend of dragoon (LoD has a ton of hanging and glitches in pSX, i don't suggest trying it.)

Not likely, but if you're already gonna emulate, I'd use pSX (aka pSXfin) for Lunar and FFVI, and ePSXe for legend of dragoon (LoD has a ton of hanging and glitches in pSX, i don't suggest trying it.)

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to find a playstation or LoD anytime soon, so emulation is the only option.

I'll try those methods after I beat SoM.

• 1 month later...

You should try Mother 3, the sequel to Earthbound. It was only released in Japan, but there's an unofficial English patch available. Even though it's fan-made, it's indistinguishable from a professional translation. Trust me, the translation is perfectly done, and the game is loads of fun.

I bought a special card for my Nintendo DS with integrated hardware to emulate GBA games, just for this game. It's really that great, and might be what you're looking for.

You should try Mother 3, the sequel to Earthbound. It was only released in Japan, but there's an unofficial English patch available. Even though it's fan-made, it's indistinguishable from a professional translation. Trust me, the translation is perfectly done, and the game is loads of fun.

I bought a special card for my Nintendo DS with integrated hardware to emulate GBA games, just for this game. It's really that great, and might be what you're looking for.

I can't wait until flashcarts work like that on the 3DSXL. One of my favorite things to play are pokemon romhacks, but pokemon isn't the kind of game i want to play while im sitting at my desktop.

Go have a look at Evoland.

It's a fun little game!

Careful of this one, the nostalgia is crushing...

And I only just caught the end of the era which the first level shows, too...

I am probably not thinking "oldschool RPG" in the same sense as everyone else in the thread does, but I do have this small wish to start a new playthrough of Arcanum. And I want to try some kind of weird, non-conventional build.

I was thinking of, perhaps, creating a dwarf who focuses on the Throwing skill. But that's not all - I plan to max out strength, go to Ashbury, and pick up one of the 1000 stone boulders in the field there. And then I will proceed to chuck this boulder at my enemies, instantly killing 90% of enemies in the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As Appollo mentioned certain D&D games are very good. My personal favorites are probably Baldurs Gates 1&2 + expansion packs. Also, there's another game called Magicka which is a bit more recent but does resemble some of the old style games. Both of these games I have mentioned are also quite fun to play multiplayer. Steam also recently released an enhanced edition version of BG1.