List of good places to host your modpack file

FatsackTony

You are exceeding 200G/day on your Dropbox Pro account? Sheesh. You can try copy.com (it'll work if you set it up correctly). However, it sounds like you REALLY need to implement the Solder API.

Yeah, 2 modpacks that have both been on the front page of trending in the past couple days. One is also a Pixelmon modpack which means the file size is quite large. Anyway, I managed to setup Copy.com correctly but how do I setup the Solder API thing? I looked it up but seemed a bit too complicated for me :/

Yeah, 2 modpacks that have both been on the front page of trending in the past couple days. One is also a Pixelmon modpack which means the file size is quite large. Anyway, I managed to setup Copy.com correctly but how do I setup the Solder API thing? I looked it up but seemed a bit too complicated for me :/

You can use our Solder database for a fee per month (depends on how much bandwidth you use, but likely not more than whatever you payed for DropBox Pro). PM me if interested. We have a 300 Mbps uplink.

Edited by Amaxter

• Discord Moderator

Setting up Solder requires you to have a web host it can run on. X10 Hosting (not affiliated in any way) may work. They claim "unmetered" bandwidth, but I don't have any experience with them short of creating a free account and tinkering enough to feel that it would host Solder.

@Shushix: Please post (in a code tag) the raw share URL from copy.com along with the altered URL you are attempting to make direct.

Edited by plowmanplow

You can use our Solder database for a fee per month (depends on how much bandwidth you use, but likely not more than whatever you payed for DropBox Pro). PM me if interested. We have a 300 Mbps uplink.

PM'd you!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ive Been using copy.com For ages and Now everytime i put the File link in modpack.. it goes to "Looks like we've hit a snag" And it does this on Firefox and Chrome... Havent bothred trying anyother... If you ask me it seems technic doesnt want us using copy.com cause ive been using with no trouble until now....

• 4 weeks later...

Copy.com is a good source. Theres a trick to it, though.

1. put together your modpack and upload it to copy.com

2. Right click your .zip and click on share link. the link it provides IS NOT THE LINK YOU PUT IN YOUR MODPACK INFO.

3. follow that link. there is a download link. right click the download button and select "copy link." THIS IS THE LINK YOU NEED.

took me some experimenting to figure that out, but its super easy and doesn't require FTP or a hosted website, etc. I hope this helps.

I fear Technic's system for deciding wether a mod pack location is "valid" is completely backwards. I tried making direct download links from countless websites: google drive, copy.com, dropbox, one drive, yandex disk, and more, but either the link wouldn't work, or the direct link is not "valid" according to technic. However, if I put in completely random links that are completely not file related and are definitely not valid, technic says it's fine....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Discord Moderator
35 minutes ago, ATShields934 said:

Eventually, Technic is going to have to provide us with a way to host our modpacks off the technic site itself...

Yeah, that's never going to happen The bandwidth costs would be crippling unless it was at a cost, and then why not go with one of the for-cost solutions which fit that business model much better?

1 minute ago, plowmanplow said:

Yeah, that's never going to happen The bandwidth costs would be crippling unless it was at a cost, and then why not go with one of the for-cost solutions which fit that business model much better?

It's likely that, with the rate that cloud storage services are either closing or preventing access to files in the way that the Technic platform requires, it will eventually become in Technic's best interest to provide some basic form of file hosting for modpacks used on the platform, because otherwise, they will run out of methods to host modpacks and then they won't even be able to operate as a platform.

• Discord Moderator

There is that old but accurate adage, "If you aren't paying for something on the internet, you aren't the customer you are the product." This goes for cloud storage/services just like everything else. They'll only survive for as long as they are able to market you (not market to you) or that it provides a means to expand their business. It is trivially easy, and next to free, to host about anything you want online. I suppose I should do my part and audit the available options to see what's viable both at cost and for "free". I'll see about that in the coming days.

• Discord Moderator

How much bandwidth are you thinking you'll need? Dropbox is perfectly viable at their free tier unless your pack is both very large, and very popular. If either or both of those are true then wouldn't it make sense to pay for a product that gives you the tools to manage your resources properly instead of something which is offered for free with limited functionality? As I said, I'll see what other options are available and post something back here in the next few days.

Edit: Just a cursory look into dirt cheap VPS offerings with (theoretically) unmetered bandwidth can be had for as little as $9/yr.

Edited by plowmanplow

• Discord Moderator
10 minutes ago, Kazkade said:

I keep getting an error when I try to use Dropbox. Are there any alternatives?

If you are getting an error with dropbox (and you haven't blown out your bandwidth limits) then you are either constructing your link improperly or you have a problem inside your modpack archive. Please start a new thread with the relevant information in the Platform Pagoda forum.

hey i need a new website that can host my modpack, dropbox has suspended and banned my links for creating to much traffic. i know copy.com was a very good website but its shuting down soon and they wont let any one sign up on there website any more. so is there a website that can host my modpack for free that is better than dropbox.

Edited by hawkwand
rewording

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...