Some Modders Genuinely Make Me Smile

jakj

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also mod pack exclusivity. Not sure why.

Azanor has said his reason for rejecting modpack requests is because it cuts down on the support requests from users using outdated copies. Which is *almost* reasonable except not quite.

He's actually one of the biggest sources of my disgust right now, because I *had* been defending him, even on this forum, saying he was a bit wrongheaded but all-in-all doing alright. In effect I lied for him. You guys tried to warn me about him, but I didn't listen: I thought you just thought he was a poopy-head, not that he actually had done nasty things.

My urge to play modded Minecraft has sunk down to 1.2 levels again, i.e., zero. *sigh*

I also want to post about a mod.

Uh...

Railcraft?

Contains DRM, author has been infecting Buildcraft with strict creative vision at the expense of third-party flexibility, author indirectly broke the fuck out of many other mods right before he went off to do other things and came back to say "lol not my fault"...

Contains DRM, author has been infecting Buildcraft with strict creative vision at the expense of third-party flexibility, author indirectly broke the fuck out of many other mods right before he went off to do other things and came back to say "lol not my fault"...

could you repaeat that in English (lee man terms)?

all i got was DRM....infecting buildcraft....thrid party....fuck out of mods...when to do shit

Im guessing you dont like him?

Gregtech.
Do tell what recipe did he forcibly override that had a config option already.

GT makes changes to exactly three mod recipes besides IC2 (of what it's pretty much a total conversion of and has configs on his side) and vanilla (again, configs). These are BC quarry (configurable), UE plates (with full approval of UE authors, for improving compatibility and with configs) and forestry bronze (to fix an exploit and combined with forestry conf can be turned off).

• 2 weeks later...

Azanor has said his reason for rejecting modpack requests is because it cuts down on the support requests from users using outdated copies. Which is *almost* reasonable except not quite.

He's actually one of the biggest sources of my disgust right now, because I *had* been defending him, even on this forum, saying he was a bit wrongheaded but all-in-all doing alright. In effect I lied for him. You guys tried to warn me about him, but I didn't listen: I thought you just thought he was a poopy-head, not that he actually had done nasty things.

What was it besides rejecting modpack requests that he did? That seems scumbaggy but not entirely for the purpose of being a scumbag.

What was it besides rejecting modpack requests that he did? That seems scumbaggy but not entirely for the purpose of being a scumbag.

Hidden DRM. And this topic is dead and buried: The community has proven that it is unable to get these modders to improve thier attitudes, or otherwise thinks those attitudes are fine, so there's no fucking point even talking about it anymore.

I can't wait until the Mod API is finally ready and modpacks transition from custom platforms to merely convenient combinations of mods. Then we can all play whatever we want no matter what the creators think.

If I went up to Covert Jaguar right now and said "May I please play with RailCraft?" I'll bet I know what he'd say.

"Yes, of course."

When I say "Great! Thank you! I'll tell CanVox you want your mod in Tekkit again!" of course he'd say "NO! Play FTB! It's better!" and I'd have to get into performance issues and stuff like that. I really can't play FTB, and I don't really want to (which is why I'm here) but I want cool steam power and I want better minecarts! (I like trains :D)

The fact is, some people play modded Minecraft through the technic launcher. CJ's mod alone isn't going to change that. So, if we like the content Railcraft provides and he wants us to play with his mod, he has no good reason at least at this basic level of reasoning to demand his mod out.

/rant

Forge is the one that added this "JAR signature check" bullshit in the first place, under the delusion that people are shipping around viruses embedded in .jar mods, as if somebody who knows how to modify a mod to include a virus can't figure out how to resign the fucking jar.

Forge is part of the problem, though it only provides some of the tools of drama, and not any of the actual drama itself.

I think its best to just stick with forge or if anything Mojang should make Forge the official API. I mean the last commit on their api was a year ago, and their hasn't been any word since.

That's cuz they've been spending all their time since then rewriting the entire source code behind the scenes. I expect this also explains the underwhelming updates.

Forge is the one that added this "JAR signature check" bullshit in the first place, under the delusion that people are shipping around viruses embedded in .jar mods, as if somebody who knows how to modify a mod to include a virus can't figure out how to resign the fucking jar.

Forge is part of the problem, though it only provides some of the tools of drama, and not any of the actual drama itself.

Pretty sure that it wasn't intended for OMG VIRUS purposes, but to let modders check if a user with an error report is using a modified version of a mod. If this is wrong, then correct me.

Pretty sure that it wasn't intended for OMG VIRUS purposes, but to let modders check if a user with an error report is using a modified version of a mod. If this is wrong, then correct me.

The version number prints out in the log and always has.

The version number prints out in the log and always has.

No, not the version number, that has always happened, I mean if the user has modified the mod to attempt to fix something. The modder can hook up their mod to dump something to the log when it detects the zip isn't signed. This would be so that the modder knows the error is from his code, and not from the modified version.