Powering a Quarry.

Frequenter

Hey guys,

getting back into Tekkit, but it has been a little while. I'd love to get a quarry set up, but am unsure about the best/various ways to power one! I used to use an energy link, but as of the new version, I really have no idea what the options are! I tried searching for this info online, but the pure amount of results in combination with the lack of version documentation are a bit frustrating. Thought I'd cut out the middle man, and ask the people who know about this stuff best!

Any help/hints would be much appreciated!

quarries draw a lot of power. You'll probably want an engine array (magmatic, combustion, biofuel, whatever suits you) creating a lot of power and then energy tesseract it to your quarry site. I then use an item tesseract to throw items back to my main sorting/distribution/storage facility.

I know there are some people who hate the (currently 25%) energy loss associated with energy tesseracts, but in the long run I don't notice it much because I start a quarry and then don't pay attention to it for a long while.

There's a way around the Energy Loss. You'll need two Turtles: A regular Turtle, and a Wrench Turtle.

First, fill up Redstone Energy Cells (Makeshift Energy Cells would probably work better due to the smaller amount of energy, if they can retain energy when wrenched).

Next, have a Wrench Turtle dismantle the cell in order to have it retain its energy. Have the Wrench Turtle put the cell into an Item Tesseract.

Lastly, put another Item Tesseract and a Chest down near the Quarry. Have a regular Turtle retrieve the Energy Cell from the Chest, and have it place the cell down next to the Quarry. Free lossless energy transport.

Exploit-ish? Oh yes.

Why does the Steam Engines/Liquiducts/Aqueous Accumlators/Infinite Water Pool setup never get any love? Everyone is all about pumping lava in from the Nether these days. Then they complain b/c the Nether is extra laggy due to all of the newly flowing lava in the pit below.

Why does the Steam Engines/Liquiducts/Aqueous Accumlators/Infinite Water Pool setup never get any love? Everyone is all about pumping lava in from the Nether these days. Then they complain b/c the Nether is extra laggy due to all of the newly flowing lava in the pit below.

Because you still need coal, its not truly self-sufficient. Also, i believe magmetics make more power than steam

There's a way around the Energy Loss. You'll need two Turtles: A regular Turtle, and a Wrench Turtle.

First, fill up Redstone Energy Cells (Makeshift Energy Cells would probably work better due to the smaller amount of energy, if they can retain energy when wrenched).

Next, have a Wrench Turtle dismantle the cell in order to have it retain its energy. Have the Wrench Turtle put the cell into an Item Tesseract.

Lastly, put another Item Tesseract and a Chest down near the Quarry. Have a regular Turtle retrieve the Energy Cell from the Chest, and have it place the cell down next to the Quarry. Free lossless energy transport.

Exploit-ish? Oh yes.

It remember me of Direwolf20, he did that with one mod that teleport the turtles :)

Because you still need coal, its not truly self-sufficient. Also, i believe magmetics make more power than steam

It is if you pump the coal (which seems to last quite a while in Steam Engines BTW) you get from mining back into the engines. And yes, Magmatic engines do produce twice the MJ/t (Steam = 2MJ/t, Magmatic = 4MJ/t) but you really don't need all that much energy to power the Quarries to a decent speed.

Hi,

personally I use 3 magmatic engines per quarry and it works pretty well.

Are you sure the maximum consumption per quarry is 40 MJ? I thought it was 12.

Honestly I'd like to use biofuel (just pump that to a bio reactor already near the quarry) but have yet to setup the biofuel generation -_-

Biofuel is the way to go. Start with steam engines and make your own manual tree farm using oak saplings. Connect the trees in a row not a big clump because you want to break the whole bunch with an axe but increase the sapling drops. Soon you can make some bio fuel and bio reactors. But to start just farming those trees and cooking logs into charcoal will give plenty of energy. Magmatic engins are going to lag the server and you will need to find new lava sources all the time. Skip the mag's and go for bio fuel and self sustaining farms that will last you forever.

In my opnion the best way is a mix with the Magmatic engines and the Combustion engines, I use a mix because I only find 2 oil souce and I use Oil Refinery, because with fuel the Combustion engine produce 6 MJ/t, 2 more comparing to Magmatic engines

Energy Tess is the way to go honestly. I had 4 quarries all set up from one spot running off one Energy Tess from my main base, with an Item Tess feeding all the stuff back to my base.

Massive amounts of resources in coming! I of course use BioFuel to run everything now, but before I was using a mix of Steam and Magmatics all feeding into Energy Conduits.

Ideally long term your quarry kit should be: quarry, an energy tesseract, two item tesseracts a single piece of buildcraft pipe(any transport variety cobble being cheapest), and 3 landmarks, with this you can set up a quarry anywhere in any dimension that will ship things back to the receiver. A special tip for anyone using 1.1.5 and tired of counting out the 64x64 area by hand can take and set up a frame out of any brick you like and then capture it with a custom mode card from MFFS, then with the custom mode card and a field stabilization card you can build that frame anywhere NOTE: this will not destroy blocks to place blocks but will build around existing blocks.

A special tip for anyone using 1.1.5 and tired of counting out the 64x64 area by hand...

Or you could just throw a lever next to your landmark and follow the handy blue lines til they dead-end at 64 blocks. Maybe your way is better, but I was happy when I discovered it.

well my way also always gives you a level platform to set the landmarks on, I've used it to quarry in the middle of an ocean in one case and up on the highest nether quartz tendril in another, and I was always unsure if the blue lines went further than 64 because I thought I had tried that at one point and the go too far maybe Im wrong here but the MFFS system works in other edge cases which I like, I don't use it every time but for the weird stuff it is handy.

well my way also always gives you a level platform to set the landmarks on

very good point, although if I understand correctly MFFS isn't available in Tekkit Main. However, it occurs to me that using a Builder to create a platform might work nicely (although I hadissues with the Builder and gave up on it... need to revisit).