Help with magmatic engines.

Willydood

I have a power plant that uses magmatic engines. except the problem is when all my machines have full power and then my magmatic engine reaches full power as well, it is supposed to shut off right? except mine keeps going and continues to use up my lava. anyone know anything about this?

No but you can controll them with gates. Set a gate next to a Redstone Energy Cell and a gate on each magmatic engine. Connect all gates with red pipewire. Config the gate at the REC to send a red pipewire signal when it is full and config the gates att all engines to send a redstone signal when it receives a red pipewire signal. Now the engines will only work when the REC needs to be loaded with energy.

1. Hook them up with redstone and stop the engines

2. risk a bottleneck and inserat a switch waterproof pipe

3. put a liquiduct in extract mode with a powered redstone signal next to your lava tesseract / pump and switch it off with a lever.

You should utilize the power you're generating. Machines like the pulverizer and the electric furnaces won't continually draw power unless they have work to do. They have a small buffer charge that once full all power usage stops. Pulverize then smelt your ores into ingots. Make some charcoal from stacks of wood. Throw some cobble in a pulverizer set to output into a furnace and make some glass. Or build some machines that will work continually. The fisher comes to mind.

Outside of that, make your engines easy to turn off. Magmatic engines will stop when they receive a redstone signal. A very low tech way of dealing with it is to put a lever on every engine. A mid-range solution would be redstone wires or RedNet Cable connected to a lever. Automating the process involves Redstone Energy Cells and some logic gates. If you don't need to use the power continually there's no reason to generate it continually. When you start getting into the realm of automated farms, AE storage and crafting networks, force fields and laser drills you will need continual and large amounts of power. :D

Most likely yes they will seize. But consider it lucky that magmatic engines don't explode like a combustion or stirling engine will when the same thing happens. Had a really nifty set up once that was completely obliterated because I wasn't drawing enough power and had no method (yet) to automate switching off the power.

Magma Crucibles take too much energy to turn things into lava to be a viable lava source. Best solution IMHO is a pump in the nether with a chunk loader or dimensional anchor. You do have to move it occasionally and it can produce lag if done poorly but I used that technique for some time and didn't have any problems. If you're proficient enough with writing a Mystcraft age you can get lava oceans with little to no land and have virtually limitless lava. I haven't figured that out yet and I moved to a Fusion reactor setup from Atomic Science.

Im not sure if you guys completely understand me. I have lava being pumped from the nether into an ender tank then in my house it is pumped out into magmatic engines. the power is then sent through an energy tesseract which sends the power to my quarry. What I want to know is if they will seize when the quarry is done because I was hoping they would so I wouldnt waste lava.

If you let the internal power buffer completely fill for too long, they will seize up. You could set up a redstone energy cell between the engines and the quarry so that once the quarry is finished and no longer requests power, excess energy gets stored for later.

Won't prevent them from seizing up forever, but will provide extra time before the seizing would occur.

You could use the engines to power a magma cruicible to turn cobble into lava, and feed the lava back into the engines. That should generate a surplus of lava, so you dont run out.

Melting down cobble breaks even, but netherack gives you a surplus A well balanced mechanic by King Lemming.

As was said, in a round about way. Once the quarry runs out of power, they "might" seize up. But redstone energy conduits are smart and might bleed off the extra power instead, preventing them from seizing up.... So you might have to add something of your own to turn them off.

Can you make a redstone pipe(BC pipe)? If so, you can have the input from your quarry run through a few lengths of pipe, with one of them being a redstone pipe. It will give off a redstone signal when there are items going through them. So as long as you only use cobblestone or stone pipes from your quarry past this redstone pipe, you will have a reliable(mostly) way to tell the engines to turn off when the quarry runs out. Just use redstone dust to make a line from the redstone pipe to each of your engines. Somewhere in the middle of the line add an inverter(block of dirt or cobblestone with a redstone torch on the side) so the signal is switched. This should make sure the magmatic engines turn off when the quarry is done. Might also turn it off if it hits a gap or cave... but that's easy to fix with an over ride lever.

You do not need to worry about wasting lava. Get the mod ExtraUtilities and build an Ender-thermal Pump. It accepts MJ, outputs into liquiducts and replaces sucked-up lava with smooth stone blocks to reduce lag. It also recognizes when the liquiducts are full (e.g., your engines are turned off and no lava is used).

This baby is a thousand-fold improvement over the BC one

edit: Someone might argue, the device is cheaty, but it is just a major technical improvement over the BC one, which causes Nether to be a lag-fest and stops working for no obvious reason.

You do not need to worry about wasting lava. Get the mod ExtraUtilities and build an Ender-thermal Pump. It accepts MJ, outputs into liquiducts and replaces sucked-up lava with smooth stone blocks to reduce lag. It also recognizes when the liquiducts are full (e.g., your engines are turned off and no lava is used).

This baby is a thousand-fold improvement over the BC one

edit: Someone might argue, the device is cheaty, but it is just a major technical improvement over the BC one, which causes Nether to be a lag-fest and stops working for no obvious reason.

You forgot possibly the most important part of the Ender-Thermal pump, it automatically chunk loads the area around it, and the area it is drawing lava from.