Misleading Ads on the Site

Mastergalen

the point i was trying to make was its alot more work to have to police the ads provided by a service on top of already moderating a forum etc... The whole point to using the service is to be able to simply choose your flavors and let it run. Adsense "should" according to their TOS for creating an ad to send thru them has to be malware free and submit to a scan as such in order to be distributed etc... This same scan is mentioned on the site when you setup a usage of their service as well. They are the ones supposed to do the dirty work of keeping the ads malware free.

lothos, look at your response. now, look at cheap's response. regardless of how easy or hard it is to remove misleading ads, which do you think makes the author look like a reasonable person with good intent and a desire to do something about the completely legitimate concern brought up by the OP?

I'll give you a hint: it's not yours. leaping to conclusions and calling people idiots for not doing the same doesn't really make for a solid argument. obviously it's not as easy as it sounds to avoid ads like this. nowhere in this thread other than your posts has anyone said anything about forcing the admins to spend tons of time policing ads. you, yourself, are leaping to that conclusion as the only obvious solution to the issue and then branding it obviously dumb and therefor the problem isn't a problem, also the people bringing it up are, by association, blithering idiots. that isn't sound logic.

the fact is, it's obviously a concern as cheap has stated. in addition to that, they do try to cut down on them as best they can. let me highlight a part of that last sentence before you make another logical olympic long jump: AS BEST THEY CAN. that does not imply perfection. that does not imply 24/7 coverage. that does not imply 100% satisfactory results. that does not imply undue burden on their time.

in closing, calm. your. tits.

Adsense goes "hey. they have the word 'download' on their page. Let's serve up a million ads with that word on them."

Maybe we can get around that with fancy words? Remove every instance of download and replace it with something else.

"Obtain the launcher of Technic, m'lord."

"Choose your launcher, my liege."

"Initiate launcher transference."

"Adopt a launcher today!"

Nah, I'm leaning towards something more military. Like a flash animation where you have to turn a key, then pull a lever that releases a hatch above a giant flashing red button. Klaxons should go off when you download it, along with a "Warning. Nuclear launch imminent" automated voice.

Or how about moving the ads to the bottom of the page into a box that is clearly labeled something along the lines of:

"ADVERTISEMENTS - These pay for Technic so you don't have to!"

Or just plain labeling the ads. That's what makes them confusing to most people in the first place.

(If that doesn't violate any terms of service or anything, of course.)

Or just plain labeling the ads. That's what makes them confusing to most people in the first place.

(If that doesn't violate any terms of service or anything, of course.)

Fairly certain it does. Most stuff like that violates their TOS and they shut you right down without a single word. Anyways locking this thread since we're already doing all we can. Thanks for suggestions and concern.