Where did IC2 Go?!?!?!?

JakobConner

Hi everyone. I am just wondering where IC2 went in the tekkit pack. I know it was one of the most important mods in tekkit. To me and probably many others it was one of the mods that represented tekkit. I was also wondering if its going to be added back? Thanks!  :kiddo:

The author for IC2 stopped updating the mod past minecraft 1.4.7. There are dev builds out there I think, but nothing too stable. IC2 is old and outdated anyway, and everything found in the new tekkit outclasses IC2 by a long shot.

It will never be added back, but can be found in Tekkit Lite

IC2 features and how they are irrelevant:

Power Generation.

-Water Mills: Relatively useless, outclassed by most other forms of early game power generation.

-Solar Panels: Expensive and low power output early game, too OP end game(put in perma-day mystcraft age = infinite power) Still available in some form through galacticraft.

-Wind Mill: Unreliable and inconsistent power output.

-Generator: No different than a Stirling engine from Buildcraft(which also suck)

-Geothermal Generator: Replaced by magmatic dynamos from TE

-Nuclear Reactors: replaced by Big Reactors and Atomic Science

Machines.

-Macerator: No different than TE's pulverizer.

-Compressor: Few uses other than IC2 machine components. Most recipes aside from those exist in other forms still.

-Extractor: Rubber is now provided through MFR and is relatively easy to get, making extractor obsolete now a days.

-Electric Furnace: No different from TE's Redstone Furnace or Galacticraft's Electric Furnace.

-Canning Machine: Were always useless.

-Electrolyzer: Useless without IC2

-Advanced Machines: Outclassed by most of TE

-Mass Fab/Recycler: Insanely easy to use mystcraft and solar panels to make an infinite-everything machine.

Nanosuit.

-Replaced by Modular Powersuit (even in tekkit lite!)

Power.

-Power storage devices replaced with TE's Energy Cells.

Tools.

-All replaced through other mods.

Summary: 99% of IC2 has been replaced(mainly by Thermal Expansion, Big Reactors, and Atomic Science) and is no longer relevant. Machines from IC2 had required configurations(only certain sides of a specific machine could input, only certain sides could output) and it was a hassle. Think of the new Tekkit as a better version of what once was. 

Edited by Sir_Obama

There was a time when IC2 was dying.

I think it's made a bit of a comeback but it's like a zombie- a  shadow of it's former self.  The sweeping changes made for the 1.6 dev builds were not an improvement, imo, and by all reports it's very grindy.

Compared to other mods out there it's outdated and somewhat unprofessional.  No more IC2 was a good change.

I also liked IC2 in its day, but I am very impressed with Thermal Expansion, the mod that replaced the most important parts. Especially version 3, which is live in the recommended Tekkit now, does many things much better than IC ever did. Give it a shot, it's quite nice to use.

• Discord Moderator

Thankfully, even though it isn't in TekkitMain, Mekanism has filled many of the gaps left by the departure of IC2 in many packs. While I agree that TE is a thing of precision and beauty, going through the huge update to the current version and not including some way to "upgrade" machines to make them faster is just disappointing. Mekanism addresses that.

Also, for anyone who wants to add IC2 to their packs, there are very stable, feature complete (as much as any mod is feature complete) versions available for 1.6.4 that integrate quite well with most mods. Many well known mods are even keeping up to date with the IC2 Experimental branch API. Yes, there are a ton of changes, but many of them are pretty fun. Most my users very much enjoy the "current" IC2.

I think it's made a bit of a comeback but it's like a zombie- a  shadow of it's former self.  The sweeping changes made for the 1.6 dev builds were not an improvement, imo, and by all reports it's very grindy.

All that really needs to be said on this is that GregoriousT is the one currently maintaining IndustrialCraft.

Is there any good option which fulfills the function of the IC Mining Laser?

The Power Tool from Modular Powersuits fulfills this purpose and much, much more.

All that really needs to be said on this is that GregoriousT is the one currently maintaining IndustrialCraft.

They said he was just helping squash bugs, but I dunno... seems like he had more than a little design influence. I might have considered adding it into my Tekkit install, just for old times sake, but not with all of that multi step crafting you have to do now.