Can my computer handle the modpack?

SEALblood

The "bits" alone will not tell us enough to make an estimation (and even with lots of information it will always be a guess or an estimation, just a better one).

Your modpack can work perfectly fine and without any problems on 32bit...if all other components match :)

It is additionally (to OS and Java-version) the total amount of RAM, the CPU, the graphics card and the graphics driver that in total will tell us whether AotBT will work  better or worse (and therefore also Tekkit and Hexxit, etc.).

You will have a hard time with onboard-graphic cards (such as Intel HD 4xxx, less than 4xxx I would actually not even try). Even with the newest drivers. Best is a dedicated graphic cards such as Nvidia or AMD (with a driver which is not outdated). Having a decent CPU (lets say not older than 5 years and not too low-end) will surely help.

If you have 1 or 2 GB of total RAM, you might run into troubles. If you have more than that you might be luckier. If you have 4 GB or more (preferably more) you are wasting it by not using a 64bit OS and not using Java 64bit.

If you have WinXP and 2GB RAM it might be OK as a client (depending on the graphics card), but I wouldn't want to run singleplayer or a server on any machine with less than 4GB RAM (4GB on a 64bit OS is kind of where I'd put the minimum if you want to play on it as well as host).

I have an 8 core 3rd Gen Intel i7 processor and no graphics card. I will admit it is a pretty high end card, but i think if you have the right version of java installed and a couple GB of ram and a decent (preferably quad core processor) processor it should work.

I have an 8 core 3rd Gen Intel i7 processor and no graphics card. I will admit it is a pretty high end card, but i think if you have the right version of java installed and a couple GB of ram and a decent (preferably quad core processor) processor it should work.

Fun fact:

There is no 8 core Ivy Bridges processor

Thanks, I need to figure out why it wont let me use more than 1 GB on the launcher, I have 3 GB of total RAM on my system and I have AMD Athlon X2 nvidia graphics... please help me figure out how to give it more than 1 GB of RAM I cannot get past the Mojang screen and only have the option to choose 1 GB, I have the latest Java and have tried just about everything. I just need to give it more RAM but how??????

Thanks, I need to figure out why it wont let me use more than 1 GB on the launcher, I have 3 GB of total RAM on my system and I have AMD Athlon X2 nvidia graphics... please help me figure out how to give it more than 1 GB of RAM I cannot get past the Mojang screen and only have the option to choose 1 GB, I have the latest Java and have tried just about everything. I just need to give it more RAM but how??????

If you have WinXP and 2GB RAM it might be OK as a client (depending on the graphics card), but I wouldn't want to run singleplayer or a server on any machine with less than 4GB RAM (4GB on a 64bit OS is kind of where I'd put the minimum if you want to play on it as well as host).

The "bits" alone will not tell us enough to make an estimation (and even with lots of information it will always be a guess or an estimation, just a better one).

Your modpack can work perfectly fine and without any problems on 32bit...if all other components match :)

It is additionally (to OS and Java-version) the total amount of RAM, the CPU, the graphics card and the graphics driver that in total will tell us whether AotBT will work  better or worse (and therefore also Tekkit and Hexxit, etc.).

You will have a hard time with onboard-graphic cards (such as Intel HD 4xxx, less than 4xxx I would actually not even try). Even with the newest drivers. Best is a dedicated graphic cards such as Nvidia or AMD (with a driver which is not outdated). Having a decent CPU (lets say not older than 5 years and not too low-end) will surely help.

If you have 1 or 2 GB of total RAM, you might run into troubles. If you have more than that you might be luckier. If you have 4 GB or more (preferably more) you are wasting it by not using a 64bit OS and not using Java 64bit.

Windows I assume? How much memory do you have available. 64-Bit Java will get you more memory, up to 3 GB of memory in the modpack.

Best test for if your computer can handle it is to go ahead and download it, and see yourself. Ive known people with excellent computers (spec-wise) who cant run a pc game decently, and others with "horrible" computers who yet still manage to run games perfectly. 

Also for the ram, just googling "increase ram for minecraft" will get you results. Im no expert at all, but thats what I did to find some answers. There are quite a but of nice tutorials you could find. Other players are quite nice and generous :) I used it and other research to run a server at 4 gb ram and my client at another 3. On average, the server uses 1-1.5 at most, and the client (for b-team) usually matches it. As said, you really want a 64 bit to host a server (because you can dedicate more ram). Hope this helps, from a relatively newbie to another.

Fun fact:

There is no 8 core Ivy Bridges processor

Beside that fun fact (which is true unless you either mix up i7 with HT or Xeon processors), how can CarlsFriend graphics card be high end if there is none? Or am missing something?

That is likely due the fact you are using a 32bit operating system and a therefore also a 32bit Java. AFAIK in this case the launcher will not allow you to address more than 1 GB even thought you might have a little more.

I do not know how long you wait for loading it, however, even on my computer which is rather decent it takes a while to load. Give it at least 5 minutes for a try...start it and then do not touch anything for 5 minutes. Other than that, sorry...no idea...unless there might be some info in the logs.

Edited by Roversword

Sealblood, please don't do multiple posts like that just to reply to the same thing on each one, there's not a lot of point.  If you really want to draw attention to every single other post there is a multiquote button there that'll indulge your desire to do that, but in a single post.  Please read this before posting your next reply, it's important '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

If it's just showing the mojang screen and seems to be taking a long time then that's normal, it takes a while for all of the mods to load in.  The slower your processor, the longer this will take.  You can't realistically set higher memory allocation than 1GB if you've only got a 32-bit operating system.

Roversword, I just assumed Carlsfriend meant he had one of the 4 core hyperthreaded ivy-bridges (which show the hyper-thread "cores" as cores in windows).  I think he just used the wrong terminology referring to the CPU, meant to say chip or module or something, "card" is technically as close as "chip" so I don't think it's worth worrying about (I wouldn't bat an eye if he said chip).  He got the point across that a mid-high end processor with its integrated graphics is enough.

[..]

Roversword, I just assumed Carlsfriend meant he had one of the 4 core hyperthreaded ivy-bridges (which show the hyper-thread "cores" as cores in windows).  I think he just used the wrong terminology referring to the CPU, meant to say chip or module or something, "card" is technically as close as "chip" so I don't think it's worth worrying about (I wouldn't bat an eye if he said chip).  He got the point across that a mid-high end processor with its integrated graphics is enough.

Ah, a "high end chip" as in a "high end CPU"...that makes more sense.

Sealblood, please don't do multiple posts like that just to reply to the same thing on each one, there's not a lot of point.  If you really want to draw attention to every single other post there is a multiquote button there that'll indulge your desire to do that, but in a single post.  Please read this before posting your next reply, it's important '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

If it's just showing the mojang screen and seems to be taking a long time then that's normal, it takes a while for all of the mods to load in.  The slower your processor, the longer this will take.  You can't realistically set higher memory allocation than 1GB if you've only got a 32-bit operating system.

Ok, thanks I got it to work, now I just have to decrease the lag -_- any tips?

You need to widen any bottlenecks, it depends where it's being limited and that's a hard thing to do (impossible without more info).

Go grab a bit of system information software if you're not sure (something like this; http://www.fosshub.com/download/hw32_436.zip ) and post up a summary of your system (or a log from that program, preferably in txt/log format).