Uses for Redstone in motion?

mm75

You could always make a Wonkavator.  A self propelled platform that uses a rednet controller to tell the RiM platform where to go, anywhere in your base.  I'd say use computercraft, but I don't know if computercraft computers reset every time they move using rim... 

Or just make the platform manually controlled, with 3-axis movement, and use it as a sky bucket for working on remote and hard to reach locations in and around your base.  This is especially nice for large builds cause you can bring chests of materials with you strait to the site.  Although it is slower to move around on then using a jetpack, the added storage more then makes up for it.  Even easier then using strongboxes and backpacks.

Although it is slower to move around on then using a jetpack, the added storage more then makes up for it.  Even easier then using strongboxes and backpacks.

I think once you have an ender pouch and an ender chest in your base feeding into an AE-Network this gets obsolete :P

Personally I built my Galacticraft launch pad inside a mountain and made a nice sliding roof door, James Bond villan style!

ujz9GuO.gif

V3zhqG5.gif

I think the biggest use other than drilling platforms is big doors.

Exactly what me and a few others did the other day. :D

Personally I built my Galacticraft launch pad inside a mountain and made a nice sliding roof door, James Bond villan style!

ujz9GuO.gif

V3zhqG5.gif

I think the biggest use other than drilling platforms is big doors.

Could you give me a detailed explanation of how you did this? I have tried... and failed.

if computercraft computers reset every time they move using rim...

They do, but there are ways around it.  Other than rebooting on motion, computers are fully compatible.  What I'd do is add to the startup program.  The computer could listen over the wireless network for orders from a server that would keep track of the elevators position relative to the destination.

They do, but there are ways around it.  Other than rebooting on motion, computers are fully compatible.  What I'd do is add to the startup program.  The computer could listen over the wireless network for orders from a server that would keep track of the elevators position relative to the destination.

I'm pretty sure you would still have to manually click the computer to boot it up - I've tried to get them to turn on remotely, and they don't seem to want to do it, unless something's changed since I tested it.

I'm pretty sure you would still have to manually click the computer to boot it up - I've tried to get them to turn on remotely, and they don't seem to want to do it, unless something's changed since I tested it.

I think they start up on their own.

They start up on their own just fine, but if they reboot like that, they slowly fill up your system with new threads since the old ones don't close when the computercraft computer is forced to reboot like that.  Can cause issues...

CC Computers can reboot after moving, but sometimes they don't (pretty often), you can get around that by using an Autonomous Activator aiming towards the computer, set to right click. That way, if the computer shuts down instead of rebooting, it'll be started up by the activator. If you don't want to mess around with a server waiting for the computer to move, you can save the computer's position and destination in a file. On startup, the computer checks if its position is different from destination, if it is, it moves, if not it waits for its next destination over rednet. That's how I made my own lift, works pretty well, the only problem is that it's really slow. I'll make a post about it with my scripts and screenshots if you guys want

• 9 months later...

Yo people. I was wondering if anyone has found a way to get a signal to all 6 sides of an engine.

As far as i know thare needs to be at least 1 Carriage block attached to the engine, to get successful motion. I've found that this initial block prevents the redstone signal from getting the engine from that side. I.E. if your initial block is on the right, you cannot power the right side of the engine.

It's wierd because the Carriage blocks seem to react to redstone in the same manner and any other block. Yet, the engine cannot take a signal through a block like a piston would.

3up3Byk.png?1

I know there has to be a way. Has anyone succeeded in powering all 6 sides of an engine?