Minecraft sold to Microsoft.

EvilOwl

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so what market trend would they follow that tells them they can completely change a game by turning it from a normal single purchase game...

... euhm, making it closed scource? Leaving out mods? Or at least asking money for them in some sort of way? (what a tarded question)

You also seem to have a deep need for acknowledgement for MS's contribution to the computer world? you keep dragging it into the discussion, while this one is about gaming and MC...

Haha, so funny to see you drag apple into this, so typical...

Well... One thing is for sure, you don't know what'll come. And you won't prepare for it. Ok I get it. Good luck weeping over your loss of game-content.

Edited by Skelray

Good luck weeping over your loss of game-content.

You seem dedicated to the idea that Microsoft just spent a load of money with the specific intention of removing features. What makes you think they're going to remove game content?

... euhm, making it closed scource? Leaving out mods? Or at least asking money for them in some sort of way? (what a tarded question)

I said market trend, not conspiracy theories and "well it could happen!" fueled by blind MS hate.

1: MC is already closed source. Where did you get the idea it was open source?

Mods are made by decompiling the MC jar, using a best guess deobfuscation translation to make it a bit more readable, then working with that source. That's a feature of java, not anything to do with the way MC was designed. To stop that microsoft would have to completely rewrite the game in a different language and do that for every past version as well. Doing so would be a pretty monumental task for exactly 0 gain.

2: What games are cutting out mods? What section of the sandbox-legos game market is pressuring them to get rid of game extending content?

Mods were never part of MC's design, the recent mod friendly changes have been entirely due to mojang recognizing modded play provides them with free content to extend the life of the game. See their acquisition of Bukkit and their reneged promises to add an API.

3: Again, where do you find examples of games taking freely available user generated content and demanding money for it?

4: Still waiting on an answer about you you expect us to do about any of your end of the world scenarios.

You also seem to have a deep need for acknowledgement for MS's contribution to the computer world? you keep dragging it into the discussion, while this one is about gaming and MC...

Haha, so funny to see you drag apple into this, so typical...

No, I have a deep need to remind rabid members of the Cult of Jobs that they lack a firm foundation in reality. And you buddy, you stink of unwashed turtleneck sweaters.

Microsoft HAS made numerous contributions to computing, that's why they're a dominant player in the field. To dismiss them as poo flinging monkeys that has never contributed anything to computing and just happens to have more revenue than most 3rd world countries, that's utter lunacy people like you cling to with a deep down hope that it'll someday be accepted as true despite reality's objections.

I'm not saying a agree with those contributions or even like microsoft (linux is so damn much better), but respect for someone's accomplishments is something a sane person has. I don't hate apple, I just have a dislike for crappy closed system designs and a focus on fashion over function.

All your disaster scenarios involve a near 40 year old, highly profitable company taking a complete leave of their business senses and doing the exact opposite of profitable with this project with no other point than to be evil.

Well... One thing is for sure, you don't know what'll come. And you won't prepare for it. Ok I get it. Good luck weeping over your loss of game-content.

And you know even less of what's to come as your judgement is clouded by prejudice and hate.

I for one am keeping options in mind as this plays out, ranging from "Ah good, MC is not changing in a significant way" to "Ah well, they screwed MC so I guess I'll go throw my support behind one of the clones."

The only action we could to keep tekkit on MC going if microsoft decided to destroy their purchase and screw over 16 million people, would be to copy the game files and provide a modified version for download that gets around a possible login server shutdown.

Unfortunately that's 100% illegal under even pre-DMCA US and Canadian laws and would get every admin here sued for millions of dollars.

Hey, maybe that's how they plan on making their $2.5b back. Seed the modding community with complete nutters like you in hopes they can trick people into MASSIVE systemic copyright violation and sue the offenders for hundreds of millions each and get it all back with those open&shut cases.

See, I can make wild hateful conspiracy theories with 0 basis on reality too.

You seem dedicated to the idea that Microsoft just spent a load of money with the specific intention of removing features. What makes you think they're going to remove game content?

I base that on the fact that no mod will ever work if MS blocks it off. It also makes sense that they would since they are not making money out of all the mods currently available, unless it is for the obligation to purchase MC first. It seems highly possible that they would find a strategy to gain money for modded play, and that would mean a great restriction on the creators of them compared to as it is now.

I said market trend, not conspiracy theories and "well it could happen!" fueled by blind MS hate.

1: MC is already closed source. Where did you get the idea it was open source?

Mods are made by decompiling the MC jar, using a best guess deobfuscation translation to make it a bit more readable, then working with that source. That's a feature of java, not anything to do with the way MC was designed. To stop that microsoft would have to completely rewrite the game in a different language and do that for every past version as well. Doing so would be a pretty monumental task for exactly 0 gain.

2:  A: What games are cutting out mods? B: What section of the sandbox-legos game market is pressuring them to get rid of game extending content?

C: Mods were never part of MC's design, the recent mod friendly changes have been entirely due to mojang recognizing modded play provides them with free content to extend the life of the game. See their acquisition of Bukkit and their reneged promises to add an API.

3: Again, where do you find examples of games taking freely available user generated content and demanding money for it?

4: Still waiting on an answer about you you expect us to do about any of your end of the world scenarios.

First of all, I think you're just happy that you can abuse my words to speak for your cause. Just the fact that you mention hate, while there is none on my behalf, proves that you're the one who has that emotion. It's called Psychological projection. I think you know a lot of facts about MS and more so about computing. But this is not about that, I appreciate what MS does on the computing side. But this is about Minecraft and the possible end of good mods, and therefore mod-packs. Every time I try to state this, loud an clear, you start ranting like a wounded toddler who has no skill in dealing with his own personal problems. I'll react to your 4 statements for all the readers of this thread, not because I want to give in to your mutilated understanding of the issue here. I do not recognise your remarks on behalf of your personal discomforts. Period.

1. You obviously understand the actual working of java and the engine behind MC more than I do. Unfortunately for your need of acknowledgement on this subject, it is irrelevant, because the end result is the same: MS can perfectly block of the participation of third persons or companies who make mods for the game. 1. Because it doesn't give them extra profit, and 2. it doesn't give them credit. In MY opinion it would give them great credit because they are A: noble in recognising the magnificent work of modders and B: keeping the general public happy and therefore giving them reasons to keep paying/buying MC. It would however only generate a small portion of money, and that is a good reason to doubt if they would leave the modding alone as it is now.

2. A: I don't know and I don't care, it is irrelevant to this problem, this is about minecraft. B: the reason i just mentioned in point 1. C: I know, that's why I liked Mojang more at the end. And I'm grateful for that.

3. This is where you totally don't understand me. It's not INITIALLY about "freely available user generated content" it's INITIALLY about "freely available content", and the potential of the "user generated content" being taken away. And there are plenty examples of "freely available content" being taken away. That's why I'm saying that when MS would cross the border of taking away the user generated contend, that they would shoot in their own foot as wall as in the heart of the gamers. And to give you an example: look at "Final Fantasy XIII-2". For generations (probably older that you) the Final Fantasy series have had no obligation to pay for completing the game 100%. In "FFXIII-2", you have to buy extra abilities. In past games of the series it was acquired trough gaming (that was real fun!). It is one of the cores of gaming to be rewarded for efforts, that's why every one would brag at school when we where young if we trained a pokemon to level 100 in pokemon red/blue, that's why we would feel satisfied when we defeated an extra boss or gained an ultimate sword. Nowadays, many of that great content is locked behind real money. It's a strategy for making money like every other: you take away what ppl want/wish and only give it to them if they pay for it. Actually if you just look at 99% of all the games in the apple's app store, almost all the extra content isn't free... (Oh no did I just shock you? I said something negative about apple, perhaps I'm not a MS hater...)

4.It almost gives me a feeling of compassion to see you struggling to actually read what I say. I never said anything about the end of the world silly... Just the end of the current mod-packs of minecraft. (Perhaps that's the reason I'm posting this on the forum of one of the greatest MODPACK organisations) And to answer the real question: I don't expect anything FROM you or technik. I can't I'm an end user who is already grateful for what I've been given in the past, I simply ask. And what I ask is IF there is a way to secure the possibility to game the mod-packs that are existing now, then please do it. But as you said, that would be illigal, thus ending my plea.

Hey and if you really mean what you say : "I for one am keeping options in mind as this plays out, ranging from "Ah good, MC is not changing in a significant way" to "Ah well, they screwed MC so I guess I'll go throw my support behind one of the clones.", I can totally say yes to that! I would even  say the same for crying out loud (dammit is it so hard to understand this?) So in stead of fantasising about what you THINK I said, just read what I say...

Edited by Skelray

I base that on the fact that no mod will ever work if MS blocks it off. It also makes sense that they would since they are not making money out of all the mods currently available, unless it is for the obligation to purchase MC first. It seems highly possible that they would find a strategy to gain money for modded play, and that would mean a great restriction on the creators of them compared to as it is now.

First of all, I think you're just happy that you can abuse my words to speak for your cause. Just the fact that you mention hate, while there is none on my behalf, proves that you're the one who has that emotion. It's called Psychological projection. I think you know a lot of facts about MS and more so about computing. But this is not about that, I appreciate what MS does on the computing side. But this is about Minecraft and the possible end of good mods, and therefore mod-packs. Every time I try to state this, loud an clear, you start ranting like a wounded toddler who has no skill in dealing with his own personal problems. I'll react to your 4 statements for all the readers of this thread, not because I want to give in to your mutilated understanding of the issue here. I do not recognise your remarks on behalf of your personal discomforts. Period.

1. You obviously understand the actual working of java and the engine behind MC more than I do. Unfortunately for your need of acknowledgement on this subject, it is irrelevant, because the end result is the same: MS can perfectly block of the participation of third persons or companies who make mods for the game. 1. Because it doesn't give them extra profit, and 2. it doesn't give them credit. In MY opinion it would give them great credit because they are A: noble in recognising the magnificent work of modders and B: keeping the general public happy and therefore giving them reasons to keep paying/buying MC. It would however only generate a small portion of money, and that is a good reason to doubt if they would leave the modding alone as it is now.

2. A: I don't know and I don't care, it is irrelevant to this problem, this is about minecraft. B: the reason i just mentioned in point 1. C: I know, that's why I liked Mojang more at the end. And I'm grateful for that.

3. This is where you totally don't understand me. It's not INITIALLY about "freely available user generated content" it's INITIALLY about "freely available content", and the potential of the "user generated content" being taken away. And there are plenty examples of "freely available content" being taken away. That's why I'm saying that when MS would cross the border of taking away the user generated contend, that they would shoot in their own foot as wall as in the heart of the gamers. And to give you an example: look at "Final Fantasy XIII-2". For generations (probably older that you) the Final Fantasy series have had no obligation to pay for completing the game 100%. In "FFXIII-2", you have to buy extra abilities. In past games of the series it was acquired trough gaming (that was real fun!). It is one of the cores of gaming to be rewarded for efforts, that's why every one would brag at school when we where young if we trained a pokemon to level 100 in pokemon red/blue, that's why we would feel satisfied when we defeated an extra boss or gained an ultimate sword. Nowadays, many of that great content is locked behind real money. It's a strategy for making money like every other: you take away what ppl want/wish and only give it to them if they pay for it. Actually if you just look at 99% of all the games in the apple's app store, almost all the extra content isn't free... (Oh no did I just shock you? I said something negative about apple, perhaps I'm not a MS hater...)

4.It almost gives me a feeling of compassion to see you struggling to actually read what I say. I never said anything about the end of the world silly... Just the end of the current mod-packs of minecraft. (Perhaps that's the reason I'm posting this on the forum of one of the greatest MODPACK organisations) And to answer the real question: I don't expect anything FROM you or technik. I can't I'm an end user who is already grateful for what I've been given in the past, I simply ask. And what I ask is IF there is a way to secure the possibility to game the mod-packs that are existing now, then please do it. But as you said, that would be illigal, thus ending my plea.

Hey and if you really mean what you say : "I for one am keeping options in mind as this plays out, ranging from "Ah good, MC is not changing in a significant way" to "Ah well, they screwed MC so I guess I'll go throw my support behind one of the clones.", I can totally say yes to that! I would even  say the same for crying out loud (dammit is it so hard to understand this?) So in stead of fantasising about what you THINK I said, just read what I say...

Fun fact:

Technologically there is _nothing_ Microsoft to do that will stop modding due to the nature of Java it is impossible. If they do anything we can just decompile it and change it.

Quite frankly most of your speech is just fluff and you're analogy's that you are using are for games that at their core are drastically different to MC further more there is no precedent established that suggests that Microsoft is going to do what you are saying.

Fun fact:

Technologically there is _nothing_ Microsoft to do that will stop modding due to the nature of Java it is impossible. If they do anything we can just decompile it and change it.

Quite frankly most of your speech is just fluff and you're analogy's that you are using are for games that at their core are drastically different to MC further more there is no precedent established that suggests that Microsoft is going to do what you are saying.

1. Thanks for the fun fact. Seems my problem is solved then.

2. Quite frankly what really "fluff" is, is that this is only your opinion. And quite frankly that in itself is also fluff.

3. I am indeed using an analogy based on games that at their core are drastically different to MC, but it is not that core that I am discussing, it is the fun factor in the games, and that my friend is the same for all games.

4. If there is no precedent established that suggests that Microsoft is going to do what I am saying, then all will be good, won't it?

Edited by Skelray

Here's an analogy.

Your government has your personal data. It is capable of killing people whenever they want, and they have. They are going to kill you. For sure, because vague connections~.

THAT IS YOU.

You're a doomsday nutter!

It's okay if YOU want to prepare for the worst fucking scenario, FINE! But leave the rest of us fucking alone. You've made your argument, and now it's good.

Put down your placard and go home to your bunker! We're good, thanks for asking!

Edited by Melfice

Ahh, I see someone has completely forgotten what he posted to start this.

Here:

Omg, does no one of you guys know what is going on? The hole attitude of "let's just wait and see" is just sickening!

Does no one know what MS did to the gaming industry years back? I have an armoured suitcase with a brand new PS2

and my favourite games newly sealed, stored away. I keep a brand new television with SCART connection, and when 220v

will disappear I will buy a generator. I will be able to game the games I love until I grow old, and I'll be able to share that experience with my children.

If I didn't do that, in 10 years: I'll NEVER be able to explain to my children what "off line co-op gaming means". They'll NEVER learn to game from the same couch...

Pray to God they'll even know what "playing outside" means by then... but anyway:

Minecraft is/was a monument on it's own. You don't have to panic and say it'll disappear, but sitting duck and waiting is naïve.

Technic, you should backup all that you have now, and make sure you can have your mod-packs running independent from MS.

Now is THE time to make this independent back-up. Because if you wait, MS will cut the ropes, and MC as it is now, might for ever be lost.

MOD makers are already starting to quit, imagine never to be able to play AOTB fully functional, this is madness.

I know I can't call anyone anything, since I didn't create a MOD or a Game, but as a true gamer who has lived trough the whole gaming era,

I know what true amusement is in games. Minecraft with Technic's MOD-packs is by far one of the most excellent experiences I've had.

My god, if my old friends pay me a visit, I have to install my old SNES, because we've gone trough the good games of this century and find them... all played.

Good games now are EXTREMELY rare. Thank god, more and more new small game houses are making semi-good games, but boy there is a lot of crap,

Just look at  Final fantasy, do it! Look at it. Play FF7 and then play FF XIII, FFXIII is graphically superior, but it's NOTHING compared to a real game.

Seriously, some card games are more exciting than most news games.

ANYWAY, 90% of what I just wrote is opinion. If you don't like it, be a grown-up and deal with it. If you should remember 1 thing: just acknowledge that MC is rare.

Store it safe in a secure dungeon, and keep it accessible. Please...

And for all the babies who say:"grow up yourself", well... I did. And I know the future decisions will almost always be based on profit, because that's what humans are like. Fair enough, but most of the time it's just greed and fear that drives the descission, not good heartedness or common sence.

Therefore, if MC as it is right now will disappear, I just want to say thank you Technic, thank you for past experiences! I'll accept your death, if it would be so.

I haven't forced/twisted words on you. You started this by telling us our lack of frantic bomb shelter preparations over this was making you physically ill. You have claimed we were stupid, and me personally retarded, because we couldn't grasp the depths of how pure evil microsoft will be and how that will be the death of us. You argue as if you have cassandra-like prophetic knowledge of the future.

And you still refuse to acknowledge the difference between cellphone apps specifically designed with microtransactions in mind, and a PC game that is Beta In Name Only.

Atleast you admitted you know jack shit about the technical merits of your prediction. Now how about you go take a business and/or econ 101 class and learn some very basic business concepts? You know, things like added value, cost/benefit calculations, profit predictions, or even just "chapter 1: not destroying your business by fucking over all your customers at once" and "chapter 2: don't slaughter the goose that lays golden eggs, even if you do feel a bit peckish for foie gras".

Seriously, if you believe microsoft is going to destroy modding and gut vanilla to change a game about freedom to a game about locked down microtransactions then buddy I have a bridge in new york for sale I'm sure you'd be interested in.

Here's an analogy.

Your government has your personal data. It is capable of killing people whenever they want, and they have. They are going to kill you. For sure, because vague connections~.

THAT IS YOU.

You're a doomsday nutter!

It's okay if YOU want to prepare for the worst fucking scenario, FINE! But leave the rest of us fucking alone. You've made your argument, and now it's good.

Put down your placard and go home to your bunker! We're good, thanks for asking!

I wish Microsoft would just release a fucking statement to end these "WE'RE DOOMED!" scenarios. The amount of people running around like headless chickens is unbelievable. I also like how he tries to act like he is more intelligent than us, yet he also acts like that crazy guy that lives down the street with the boarded up house, you know, the one that always asks you about your water and food storage?

...wish the guy just fucking moved already...

Edited by Nitus

I don't think it's wholly unjustified for Skelray to fear that Microsoft could screw this up, because let's face it, they've done it before with other acquisitions.  And naturally people are concerned that something which they really enjoy could potentially be marred by all of this.  But it can't be reiterated enough that Mojang lost control of this train a long time ago, and switching out conductors doesn't really change anything when modders can just keep building new tracks in front of it.

This is probably the most important part of the EULA at this point in time:

"We may also change this EULA from time to time but those changes will only be effective to the extent that they can legally apply. For example if you only use the Game in single player mode and don‘t use the updates we make available then the old EULA applies but if you do use the updates or use parts of the game that rely on our providing ongoing online services then the new EULA will apply."

Basically they've said that we can mod 1.8 and prior forever, because they can't change the EULA applied to those versions, and that EULA specifically says we can mod the game.  The same goes for every version released from here on out as well until the EULA says otherwise.  And if by "ongoing online services" they mean authentication servers, then that can be disabled.  And if they mean Realms, well, I don't think that's a concern, because we run our own modded servers.

There is literally nothing Mojang or Microsoft can legally do to stop us from playing and modding this game.  So if that's something anyone is concerned about, then don't worry about it.  The only thing in question is what they do with future versions of the game.  And we simply don't have to play those if they're particularly shitty or have a restricted EULA.

Everyone knows this has the possibility of turning sour. The most optimistic prediction is they don't deviate from the current development path. No one but marketing drones is saying this is going to be a net positive for the game.

But Skelray is arguing that we need to be running around in fear and make undefined preparations for when microsoft does evil to the game because they're microsoft.

The best explanation he's given for his prediction is microsoft would ignore all business sense or game history and drive away most of their playerbase so they could charge for basic features. They'll do that because cell phone apps and PC games are 100% identical due to them both being about fun, with gameplay/platform/target audience/language/architecture not mattering in the slightest.

Neowulf, you're totally out of control... You're mixing truths with ridicules fantasies. I think we both know a lot about gaming, but we're not talking about the same. A lot of things you say is true, but you just don't get my point. FyberOptic apparently does, and I believe it's because he's not raging... Just calm down. I realise I was to drastic in my first plea, but you should read what comes afterwards too.

Melfice:

If you just take the time to see what I did write, this isn't all that big of a fuss.

And as I said before, it's just an opinion. I feel passionate about mine, you feel passionate, fantasising about doomsday nutters.

I mean, "doomsday nutters" ? ... lol

And you can type in normal font size if you want to say something buddy. If you took the effort of reading my last words, you would have noticed I moved on...

Edited by Skelray

You know what? You're right.

You're absolutely right.

And I bet you don't even realize the irony.

EDIT: This was a response to a meme saying you shouldn't argue with idiots.

The famous one. You know it. Well...

Edited by Melfice

And you can type in normal font size if you want to say something buddy. If you took the effort of reading my last words, you would have noticed I moved on...

And if you actually took the time to read what I said carefully you'd realize I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about "that crazy guy that lives down the street with the boarded up house, you know, the one that always asks you about your food and water storage." But, again, in your hurry to hang everyone that just doesn't seem to get your point you just gloss over things.

That's also something I find amazing, how you just dismiss everyone as not getting your point when people make perfectly good arguments against it.  

Let me give you a tip: take a bit of the venom you put in your posts out, add in some substance, and maybe, just maybe, people will take you seriously.

Edited by Nitus

Quote images made on meme generator websites are a real solid backing for your argument, Skelray.

True, I lowered myself to your level. I shouldn't have. And I wont again.

I've had my full of this pointless discussion, I'll just restrict myself to reply to people who have something valuable to say.

I shouldn't have thought that my first plea would be properly interpreted. It's as Nitus said, to you it's all venom, I shouldn't have reacted to ill pointed insults.

This is probably the most important part of the EULA at this point in time:

"We may also change this EULA from time to time but those changes will only be effective to the extent that they can legally apply. For example if you only use the Game in single player mode and don‘t use the updates we make available then the old EULA applies but if you do use the updates or use parts of the game that rely on our providing ongoing online services then the new EULA will apply."

Basically they've said that we can mod 1.8 and prior forever, because they can't change the EULA applied to those versions, and that EULA specifically says we can mod the game.  The same goes for every version released from here on out as well until the EULA says otherwise.  And if by "ongoing online services" they mean authentication servers, then that can be disabled.  And if they mean Realms, well, I don't think that's a concern, because we run our own modded servers.

There is literally nothing Mojang or Microsoft can legally do to stop us from playing and modding this game.  So if that's something anyone is concerned about, then don't worry about it.  The only thing in question is what they do with future versions of the game.  And we simply don't have to play those if they're particularly shitty or have a restricted EULA.

FyberOptic, I can't agree more with what you say. I guess it's also better formulated.

Edited by Skelray

True, I lowered myself to your level.

It's as Nitus said, to you it's all venom, I shouldn't have reacted to ill pointed insults.

Where exactly do you live, where this right here isn't venom? The best part is that you said this kind of thing all the time. You are the guy that insults others, you have been doing it since the start yet you act like you are a victim in all this. 

Where exactly do you live, where this right here isn't venom? The best part is that you said this kind of thing all the time. You are the guy that insults others, you have been doing it since the start yet you act like you are a victim in all this.

I find that's a common theme in the whale box.