Tekkit Server for minecraft 1.2.5

It seems like all the parent developers are up to date so why a release a client before the server? Any information other than "Don't ask"?

Iv'e seen some self compiled servers set up, for example:

http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,10215.msg69741.html#msg69741

You guys need some help?

Uh, client release before server release because you need a client to access the server in the first place?

It's in developement. There is no other information. stop asking. seriously.

Uh, client release before server release because you need a client to access the server in the first place?

It's in developement. There is no other information. stop asking. seriously.

Hahah what? No. What use is a client with out a server to connect to? And yes I get it, you don't know anything, Chill.

Hahah what? No. What use is a client with out a server to connect to? And yes I get it, you don't know anything, Chill.

Or you could look at it the logical way: How do you test whether a server works if there are no clients that can connect to it?

Oh, we know things. For example RedPower does not have permission to be ported to Bukkit. Also, the Tekkit client isn't even done, so any server that gets set up would just be temporary anyway. What do you expect them to do? Release a fully finished client and server at the exact same time without any testing?

Regardless asking for an eta is against the rules. Seriously drop it, it serves no purpose just makes you look like a little kid who can't wait for Christmas.

PS: If you can't wait and you think you can do it yourself, just do it yourself.

Oh, we know things. For example RedPower does not have permission to be ported to Bukkit. Also, the Tekkit client isn't even done, so any server that gets set up would just be temporary anyway. What do you expect them to do? Release a fully finished client and server at the exact same time without any testing?

Regardless asking for an eta is against the rules. Seriously drop it, it serves no purpose just makes you look like a little kid who can't wait for Christmas.

PS: If you can't wait and you think you can do it yourself, just do it yourself.

I have never asked a single time for an ETA so I'm rather uncertain as to why you continue to insist that I have. Though you have just answered my questions, even if you managed to confuse yourself while doing so. Thanks for the input. The useful parts anyway. : P

I have never asked a single time for an ETA

It seems like all the parent developers are up to date so why a release a client before the server?

Translation: Why isn't the server out yet?

Nice attempt at masking it, but you are still asking about the server release.

Edit: You know what, you're right. You aren't asking when the server is coming out. You are asking why it isn't out already. That is better because it combines the pointless impatient whining tone of an ETA request with a pompous dick attitude about how the free service being provided is not coming out fast enough for your liking while implying that you could do it faster.

Edit: You know what, you're right. You aren't asking when the server is coming out. You are asking why it isn't out already. That is better because it combines the pointless impatient whining tone of an ETA request with a pompous dick attitude about how the free service being provided is not coming out fast enough for your liking while implying that you could do it faster.

Actually, as a developer, when you are developing something with community involvement that has both a server and a client component, you release both at the same time, or neither. His complaint is valid, tekkit is specifically for the server, if they release a client development version, they should also release a server development version at the same time, or neither.

It doesn't really matter, but it is bad practice.

I have never asked a single time for an ETA so I'm rather uncertain as to why you continue to insist that I have. Though you have just answered my questions, even if you managed to confuse yourself while doing so. Thanks for the input. The useful parts anyway. : P

Just So you know, Jay? has verbally crucified for less, count yours pretentious ass lucky. I will now attempt to help your ungrateful ass.

A server is really just an interface for securely accessing data, really the meat and bones of a game or any product is the client. It handles all the graphics, handles most of the game logic. It just throws this information to the server for verification and security.

A client will almost always be developed before the server, that should help your dumb ass.

In the case of Tekkit 3.0 I BELIEVE the reason we don't have a "server" is because TechnicPeeps can only provide a bukkit server due to restrictions from Mojang. You'll notice that not all mods are "bukkit" ready. Thus because the TechnicPeeps actually are helpful nice people and obey rules, despite what cockhead a, b or c says, they cannot provide us with a development server.

Aerospark as for you, you are not dumb but you are misguided. Public DEVELOPMENT releases tend not to happen to often in the real world, thus there can be no "good or bad" practice. What I believe you are thinking of is a BETA... A BETA is different from a DEVELOPMENT release. So his complaint isn't actually valid, especially since if TechnicPeeps could RELEASE a server without breaking every rule in the book, they most likely would. Basically he is just an uninformed brat.

JUST remove the darn DEV builds from the launcher! It is teasing me & the person who started this topic! If you don't have a 3.0 server to test this on, well then there is NO POINT of the Dev builds! Also how do you have a mod in the DEV build which isnt allowed to be there according to "the rules"?! See they are broken! Just RELEASE a darn Server & REMOVE the DEV builds!

THAT IS THE BEST way to sort this!

JUST remove the darn DEV builds from the launcher! It is teasing me & the person who started this topic! If you don't have a 3.0 server to test this on, well then there is NO POINT of the Dev builds! Also how do you have a mod in the DEV build which isnt allowed to be there according to "the rules"?! See they are broken! Just RELEASE a darn Server & REMOVE the DEV builds!

THAT IS THE BEST way to sort this!

Bullshit. The best way to deal with this is to make fun of people who are too stupid to deal with having access to more than one version. Why would they screw over the large number of people playing the dev builds to accommodate your whiny ass?

Wait I thought the new release of Redpower was given the OK for bukkit?

I'm done putting together my test server. But thhere are some bugs that are mod releated. Should i post it here or in the mod specific forums?

I used the bukkit versions of the client mods with the corrispondenting versions. For now 4 certain bugs and one that i need to confirm. Thes new chunk loading blocks "World Anchor" are the biggest trouble. When using the World Anchor in minecarts the server freeze after 2-3 minutes whitout error output on the console.

Well, it's highly experimental but it's already interesting

I'm getting so tired of that bs. All those modders who are so nitpicky about what you can and can't do with their mods. I understand that you shouldn't copy features or change it without at least crediting the original creator, but beyond that everything should be ok. I mean why are they releasing it to the public in the first place? Sometimes they seem to forget about the enduser with their bs drama. You know, the people for who they created the mod in the first place.

Projects like Technic are a good thing. I suspect that most minecraft players are just interested in playing a fun game and the mods do make minecraft a lot more fun. So easy to install modpacks are a gift to them. Trying to combine different mods without knowledge of java can be a nightmare with the way it currently works. So not only the players but also mod creators should be thankful for projects like these, because it means MORE players will play your mod. It should be enough to just ask permission and credit/link to the mod creators.

I need some coffee, I'm cranky..grrr I'll check later if I even posted in the right thread, I kind of lost track. Coffeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Just have to toss this out.

Think of technic/tekkit as a private mod pack.

This group of guys ran a server and had a pack of mods they used.

Then they thought, we have so much fun playing our pack lets make a website and let other people download it.

Then it got popular, they started doing fancy stuff like making an installer, then a whole launcher.

Suddenly it got easy to play their private, now public, mod pack.

A bunch of kids who would never have been able to mod their own jar successfully could suddenly play easily.

When they ran into a problem, instead of figuring out the solution, they find somewhere to complain, and demand fixes, i.e. these forums.

So the technic people said, hell, this is OUR pack and we will do what we want with it.

If they see a new mod they want to add, they add it, if they don't want to, they don't, its their pack, not the end user's.

I love tekkit, i think all the new things you can do are awesome.

But i did get kinda tired letting someone else decide what mods i should play.

So, since im smart, i made my own mod pack. It wasn't easy to get all the mods working, but i did it.

Which is exactly what the tekkit team wants you to do, not complain that their pack is crappy.

(note: the above is my opinion based on what i have read, it is not necessarily true)

@Geodripp

The client is easy, the exact same files are used client side to play multiplayer as singleplayer. Some mods just dont support multiplayer. Hence the difference between technic and tekkit. If you want a mod on multiplayer you need the server side files, but the client files dont change. In this case they also need the bukkit port.

@iMarbot

They give you a fancy launcher that lets you select different versions of mod packs without even putting out any effort and you cant even click the "Use recommended builds" button?

They can put whatever they want in the launcher, in my opinion they have never done anything wrong. (cept maybe caving to sirsengi)

@powersthatbe85 and DragnHntr

Eloraam(creater of redpower) did not give permission for Redpower pr5b1 to be ported to bukkit. She did give permission to port redpower pr5b2 and i can confirm that it is working.