3.1.1 not a recommende build?

po5

I'm holding back from upgrading my server for at least 1-2 weeks maybe more and even consider getting back to the oldest build that seem more stable, I got a feeling this build need more work and will require some fix, the 3.0.4 need work and bug fixes and they already release a new version, I'm not sure if the tekkit devs are really dedicated to fixing bugs at all (for example teleport pipes not working even when 10 blocks apart or the gui to configure them not appearing and sometime NEI crashing the game when I ask for a recipe)

I know they are doing a hard work and kuddos to them for this, but I think they should first correct the bugs before working on a new version.

Even if 3.1.1 is perfect, marking it as recommended right away would just result in a lot of players updating before their servers do, causing a lot of complaints. The testing isn't just whether the new release is buggy or not, but also any plugins that servers are using, evaluating whether they want to enable or disable any new features, etc.

Well its basically screwing people giving the impression something is done and ready for release when in reality its just something that needs testing

It's not screwing anyone... It's not auto-updating anyone and no server is forced to update if they don't want to. I've personally updated mine and it seems to be running well. I've communicated it with my members and it hasn't been an issue. What would be screwing people is forcing clients to update and them not able to connect to the server.

If it was stated as ready to go, it'd be recommended. Makes perfect sense and works well for those of us that take the time to understand how the release cycle goes...

Yea but someone was making the argument the good thing about 3.1.1 not being recommended was that no-one was forced to use it. Which is true, but even if it was recommened no-one would be forced to use it.

Its not forcing people, but I think a load of servers will upgrade just because they can, then the players will be forced to upgrade to the 3.1.1 version to play there then if you don't follow the move, the players won't be able to connect to your 3.0.4 server because they will have upgraded their client to play on other servers and most of them won't know how to get the 3.0.3 version back, the result, a lost of a load of players for your stable 3.0.4 server while the 3.1.1 may cause a bunch of troubles (I'm not saying its not stable, but I've never ever seen a brand new software without problems when they are released so there must be some stuff that won't work like it should)

Devs make 3.1.1 recommended: most servers don't upgrade right away, most players are too stupid to change the build successfully, said players rage on the forums "you update broke, you fix!"

Devs don't make 3.1.1 recommended: players can keep playing as normal, some servers upgrade forcing their players to upgrade too, some players start raging "why no make recommended? it new so it better, make recommended now!"

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

They did communicate and stated the reason very clearly as to why it is not a recommended build yet.

The reason is simple, they wanted to make it a optional upgrade for about a week to make certain it is stable in the wild. Before forcing players and servers to upgrade to it in case their is a issue that they could not find. As hundreds to thousands of players can do a far better job at finding issues then the 5 devs behind tekkit can ever truly hope to find on their own.

In addition they also get the benefit of giving servers more time to upgrade/inform their users about the upgrade. Which if done right can avoid a large amount of issues with players suddenly finding that they cannot connect to the server or other servers.

The devs did the same thing with the tekkit 3 launch and most of the past versions.

Here is the news post where they explained the reason:

http://www.technicpack.net/964/

• Forum Administrators

And like I said in the other thread, we do not recommend using older server versions. When we release a new server build it's because we are making the push to that version.

The only reason it's not recommend yet is because (like danidas said) we want to give time for servers to settle in to the new update.

If only the devs would communicate. They gave the impression that 3.1.1 was a recommended build but apparantly it isnt

There's no recommended tag on 3.1.1 in the Launcher so, it's obviously not recommended.

And to your prior question, yes, my players are forced to update to 3.1.1, and that's perfectly fine, I communicate with my community, so it's not an issue at all.

End of argument: If you own a server, just as with regular Minecraft, it's the server operators that determine what version of client their players need and their responsibility to communicate.

OPs may update ASAP, or they may choose not to update for a month. Either way, unless communicated with their users, will cause issues.

Here let me quote the news article that I linked too.

Tekkit update! Version 3.1, which now includes Immibis’s Forcefields as well various updates. See everything you want to know on the new Tekkit page under ‘Changelog’. Note that we suggest you backup your current worlds before upgrading, and that your clients will have to select the 3.1.1 build manually in the launcher till we push it to recommended. If no major problems show themselves typically this is done in about a single week.

They made it very clear that the client version was not a official recommended build yet and baring any issue it would be one in about a week. No where did it say you had to update your servers only that a new release version was available.

This is exactly what they did for the release of tekkit 3 as they released the server about a week before the client became a official recommended build.

So if you feel screwed it is all your fault for not reading the announcement and being blinded by all the new shines in the update. In fact the only ones that should feel screwed are the ones that choose now to setup their server or add a new one. As they have no choice but to download the latest release version (3.1.1) even thou its client is still not a recommended build.

All I know is there were lots of people complaining that 3.1.1 was the ONLY download link and most people feel more comfertable starting with simple cut RB, client and server aligned! untill 3.1.1 is RB it should be listed above the RB build as DEV, on the front page. and no, not everyone is smart enough to read everything possible before downloading and attempting an upgrade when they are used to what we might call "tool tips" or "summaries" next to the links.

You all do great work and I love it. You all have obviously done everything you can to appease everyone, and I'm sure no matter how people react they appreciate it. I'm just trying to make a valid suggestion, and hope you only take it that way. And I hope anyone who reads this can see both sides of the issue here before becoming a follower of the whining.

The server was a recommended build but the client was not as it was delayed a week to make sure their were no issues and to give servers time to upgrade.

The only thing that being a recommended build means is that version will be the default that the launcher will use.

What part of this are you finding so hard to understand as it is extremely clear.