Google Fiber

FFGF

I've been searching for plans from company's, but then someone directed me to Google Fiber's plan and i'm astonished; I really wish I lived in Kansas, it's insane for the same amount of money i'm spending now for AT&T for 12mbps with 2mbps up with 300 tv channels, but if I lived in Kansas I could get 1gbps and the same for upload (I think, not to sure for upload i'm sure it isn't that high) I could get an insane speed for the same amount of money with alot more channels and a 2tb storage for the tv and a 1tb cloud storage and did I mention a FREE tablet, what do ya'll think of this and what is your current plan? (For the technically incapable with Google Fiber 1Gb could be downloaded in I think ~8 seconds; a standard movie is 1.5 hours long and about 1hour is a gig, so 1.5 gigs so technically it should take 12 seconds to download an average standard definition movie with the correct number of seeds if it's in a torrent.)

Please don't taunt us Australians with your talk about internet plans in the US.

It's normal here to pay $100/month for ADSL2+ with quota-limited uploads/downloads per month.

:(

Data-caps are the evilest thing to be placed in a lot of plans.

We pay $50 a month for 5-1 cable that is advertised at 25-3 which fails for exactly 24 hours if you pull up a torrent site and will not allow more than 1 netflix stream at a time.

I have a friend at the cable office, all of the above is by design...

Can't switch either. Satellite is a joke, the phone company's offering is worse than cable, and the only cell provider with any 3g coverage at all is verizon (data caps would put our netflix usage into the $3000/month in overages range...)

£29 a month gets me unlimited landline calls and internet. I'm in the middle of nowhere, but I'm still on a roughly 3MB connection.

And my area's scheduled for a fibre optic upgrade o.O

I hear there's no such thing as 'unlimited bandwidth' in America, is that true?

(Oh, and Vodafone gives me unlimited wifi :3 )

Ahh, god damnit, I just passed three days downloading a movie with my shitty Internet, and now my relatives in Kansas city are going to make the same in a few minutes... INJUSTICE. I'd be ready to sell my FRIDGE for an Internet that fast. Ramen for life.

I really hope this can be expanded up to here, in Canada. That'd be great.

I hear there's no such thing as 'unlimited bandwidth' in America, is that true?

Depends on who you ask.

Most ISPs use advertisement speak when using the term unlimited, always using it as "Unlimited internet access". To them and more importantly the regulators, unlimited just means you don't have a limit as to what time of the day you can use the internet.

Since most ISP's are owned by a handful of very large media companies, they've got an incentive to use as much doublespeak as possible to maximize profits across their entire operation by charging as much as they can for as little as they need to give out.

There are a few true unlimited ISPs, but they're rare and usually get bought out by the big guys looking to expand their monopoly into an area.

I'm glad I live in the middle of the Netherlands, in the fucking center of Europe. I have to pass to the next grade to get my own desktop PC with my own cable connection :). We just have to pay like €30/month to get 100Mbps. The speed of this computer I'm using now is what I could call average, but mine will be even better.

I'm ticked. We had an awesome internet provider where I live. Now they got bought out by Time Warner, and I just know they're going to start sucking. They've already been dicking around the local tv channels. Nice job losing NBC for a week, TWC.

I'm not too far from KS though, Maybe they'll do a rockstar tour of the midwest.

I'm ticked. We had an awesome internet provider where I live. Now they got bought out by Time Warner, and I just know they're going to start sucking. They've already been dicking around the local tv channels. Nice job losing NBC for a week, TWC.

I'm not too far from KS though, Maybe they'll do a rockstar tour of the midwest.

And hopefully the south.

Blacksburg, Virginia: I have 3 Mbps downstream, maybe 1 Mbps or less upstream, $48/month. No filters on content (such as torrents) and unlimited bandwidth (as in I have left big MMOs, steam games, and videos downloading concurrently for almost a week at a time with no issues). Extremely good latency on individual packets. Basically, unrestricted but slow, which I consider a good tradeoff.

The town government is working on a multi-year plan to bring super-fast Internet to the whole town, since we get a metric shit-tonne of tax money from the university students coming in and going out every year, so we shall see. Maybe they'll end up just buying into this Google thing. Seems more their speed, since they did deny Wal*Mart from building a store in town.

Portland, OR. Unfortunately im not in an area where i can get FiOs, so i'm pretty much stuck with Comcast. They are enormous dicks. im dropping almost 80 a month on my internet alone, and while it's generally pretty fast, it shuts down for two hours on sunday evenings, every week, during which time the company insists that the connection is on and active (they are lying liars who lie.)

Also they have a data cap, that they seem to not really enforce, however, they DO harass me multiple times a month to let me know that i've gone over, which i usually do after about one week.

FiOS is possibly the first good internet service I've had (surprisingly); it's the only one where I've never had a problem with the service itself (the router... well, that's another thing entirely). 25/5 is pretty nice as well :P.