Fixing Thaumic Issues..?

trekky920

Hello everyone of the Technic/Tekkit forums, today I bring up the age old question: What is the best way to remove Thaumic taint from your world? So besides containing it with cobblestone like I have done, how should I go about removing this evil menace?

Hello everyone of the Technic/Tekkit forums, today I bring up the age old question: What is the best way to remove Thaumic taint from your world? So besides containing it with cobblestone like I have done, how should I go about removing this evil menace?

Totems of dawn are your best bet. Also, I don't think Cobble stops taint... It will likely just spread over the cobble and continue. the only way to stop its spread is to move far enough away (or into a new dimension) so that the chunks are not active. Also, there have been quite a few posts about this. Try searching the forums and the Tekkit/Technic wiki.

blocks can slow taint progression, but yes if the taint level rises enough in a chunk it can simply jump. Jumping into a mystcraft age to steal silverwood for totems was my approach as I failed to get enough "fuel" to run a purifying machine enough to see any benefit.

blocks can slow taint progression, but yes if the taint level rises enough in a chunk it can simply jump. Jumping into a mystcraft age to steal silverwood for totems was my approach as I failed to get enough "fuel" to run a purifying machine enough to see any benefit.

Using Mystcraft is a great way to advance your research level when you discover taint as well. Since it is another dimension, the Overworld is frozen and taint doesn't spread. Just hop into a Mystcraft world, research/gather mats and then return when you are ready to fight the taint.

• 2 weeks later...

Most people say that nuking taint down to bedrock doesn't work. They just didn't try enough nukes. You see, any problem in tekkit can be solved with enough nukes. It took about a stack of nukes, but the entire taint zone was unable to spread as the only remaining taint blocks were in the cracks in bedrock. It didn't look pretty, but it worked, and got me a lot of crystals.

• 3 weeks later...

Taint is not a surface infection. The point is, the blocks are in the Taint, but Taint is not in the blocks. Dropping a nuke will just give you a pretty little purple crater. Nuking even more will just make the taint invisible until it bleeds into other chunks.

I'm well aware of that. However, the taint blocks are unable to spread when they're isolated by a frikkin massive crater. I haven't done this long term, but it seemed to at least reduce the urgency of the situation.

not really. Taint still spreads to neighboring chunks. It will come back eventually.

New taint blocks will just spawn in surrounding areas once the invisible taint in the air spreads to them and reaches a high enough level. As was mentioned before the taint blocks are only a symptom of a much greater and untouchable problem. That can only be addressed by using advanced thaumic means to pull the taint from the air and destroy it.

Arcane seal + taint essence + magic essence + magic essence + silverwood logs&leaves around the arcane seal + time = problem gone.

Seed the tainted area with above setup and this is no problem at all.

Of course it would be much better to harvest all that taint in the aura, the above just destroys all aura.

I'm well aware of that. However, the taint blocks are unable to spread when they're isolated by a frikkin massive crater. I haven't done this long term, but it seemed to at least reduce the urgency of the situation.

I've tried to explain to you why that is wrong. I suggest you read the last line of my post.

Tainted blocks aren't taint itself, they're symptoms of taint. Taint will eventually spread to other chunks, doesn't matter if there's a massive crater.

I prefer the config nuke method personally. It doesn't feel very satisfying, but if you can't fix it yourself it's a useful tool.

Change the max aura level to 1, load the world, change it back to max, load world again. The taint level(and overall aura level) is now 1. The taint just shrivels up and dies, even in tainted areas.

I've tried to explain to you why that is wrong. I suggest you read the last line of my post.

Tainted blocks aren't taint itself, they're symptoms of taint. Taint will eventually spread to other chunks, doesn't matter if there's a massive crater.

It's been my experience that the atmospheric taint spreads more slowly than the blocks, which transmit themselves to chunks that otherwise don't have the conditions to become tainted. If I prevent the blocks from spreading, then I can protect against the atmospheric taint with just totems of dawn, which are within my capabilities at the moment. The nuke just prevents the faster spreading blocks from uglifying my world despite the normal aura levels in the surounding chunks. The taint levels also went down slightly due to all the smashed taint crystals. There's no need for hostility, I read your entire post several times, and I think you're just misunderstanding my reasoning on using the nuke. I apologise that my first posts made it unclear as to what I meant.

It's been my experience that the atmospheric taint spreads more slowly than the blocks, which transmit themselves to chunks that otherwise don't have the conditions to become tainted. If I prevent the blocks from spreading, then I can protect against the atmospheric taint with just totems of dawn, which are within my capabilities at the moment. The nuke just prevents the faster spreading blocks from uglifying my world despite the normal aura levels in the surounding chunks. The taint levels also went down slightly due to all the smashed taint crystals. There's no need for hostility, I read your entire post several times, and I think you're just misunderstanding my reasoning on using the nuke. I apologise that my first posts made it unclear as to what I meant.

the thing is, the blocks don't "spread," so to say. They are a result of the taint in the atmosphere being too high, dirt and snad is literally turned to taint blocks.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that the blocks could infect adjacent, non-player-made blocks, hence cobblestone walls being used for containment of the physical spread, as recomended by the technic wiki, but if the blocks don't spread independantly of the atmospheric taint, then nuking wouldn't help at all, and neither wpuld the cobblestone walls. I thought that the atmospheric taint corrupted a few blocks, those blocks infected others, and so on in a chain reaction, and unless the taint itself was removed, it would keep manifesting itself through corrupting blocks, as well as leeching into other chunks. If that isn't how it works, then does the atmospheric taint creat all tainted blocks directly?

I wasn't being hostile.

If you think that was hostile, then trust me, you don't want to be anywhere near the Explosm forums.

The point is, Nuking doesn't help. All it does is make a huge crater which would otherwise be occupied by taint blocks anyway. Since Taint is a surface infection, you could have simply used some purification items to clean it up and nothing would happen. But now you're stuck with a crater. Like I said, Taint doesn't spread over blocks. It spreads in the air and infects blocks. The blocks are totally inert and don't do anything themselves unless you get an infected tree. There is no "preventing blocks of spreading" when the blocks themselves don't spread.

Quoted from the Thaumcraft 2 Wiki

"Once the Taint has a hold in an area, it slowly spreads like a surface infection. A Taint infection can be considered severe once you have a local infection that encompasses at least three or four chunks, each of which has a Taint level above a rating of 7000 or more (you can see the exact amount of Vis and Taint in the atmosphere with the Goggles of Revealing.

A local infection will not penetrate the ground and only infects the blocks on the surface. Note that while the Taint does not infect water it can, and will, spread along the bottom of lakes and rivers, emerging on the other side some time later. The infection also only spreads to the blocks next to other already infected blocks.

This has important implications both for preventing a Taint infection from spreading as well as for cleaning up an existing infection. If there are blocks the Taint cannot infect adjacent to infected blocks, the Taint will not be able to spread beyond them. As will be shown later, this can be used to create barriers that can temporarily stop a local infection from spreading. Taint will mostly infect naturally occurring blocks."

I added the emphasis. The bolded text would seem to indicate that the blocks themselves infect other blocks directly or that the atmospheric taint needs to have an already infected block next to the block it wants to corrupt. The second cannot logicly be true because there are no taint blocks spawned at the start of a map, so the atmospheric taint would need to corrupt blocks that don't have a tainted block adjacent to them. I assumed that the crater would have an impact on direct spread, not atmospheric spread, similar to the barriers the last paragraph mentions. The atmospheric spread of taint is easily contained with a perimeter of totems of dawn. Lastly, I did feel like you were being hostile with the "I suggest you read the last line of my post" part. Also, I didn't have the purification items reserached. The potions only temporarily save the terrain, and the totems only boost the aura level, not nuke taint. I needed concentrated evil, which I didn't have.

The Taint blocks WILL spread to adjacent blocks, and if you manage to concentrate enough taint at once, you can create taint blocks without much atmospheric taint. However, blocking the taint blocks is only a temporary fix, and will only stop the surface infection. The tainted land may boost taint more, but without it Taint can still spread to surrounding chunks.

Thank you, that's exactly what I've been trying to say the whole time! But, the question remains, will the nukes be as effective a temporary fix as the wall of cobblestone? I assumed it would work for a time, like the wall, because it cuts off the blocks from the outside world, but am I wrong, and the nukes do less than the wall?

i tried to battle taint early on with one of my maps and the 3 deep 5 wide cobble brick road surround didn't really impede the progress. If the taint aura is high enough, nothing will stop it.

Just move far enough away that the chunk becomes frozen and develop your research there. Then you can move back and use the new research to cleanse the taint once and for all.