Buying A Computer

zpenguin2894

I am looking for a website to purchase a new computer on. Could someone please point out a good site? Thanks.

Preferably, the site should have an online customizable options menu and the prices should be decent. I have already looked at http://newegg.com and I wasn't very satisfied with the computers and they offered no customization options. A good example of the customizable options menu is at http://chillblast.com but I live in the USA so that requires a different power plug.

Also, if I buy a computer that requires the 230 volt power plug, will it run properly if I buy an adapter from a store?

Thanks. :D

If you can make it yourself micro center (.com) has the best prices. My computer has 8 gigs of ram, can support 8 more, I can get a 1 gig video card for $30, right now I use the 256 or whatever it is that came with the mother board, decent sound card that also came with the mother board, 4 core micro processor, and two 500 gig hard drives (in a RAID). The best part is that, the total cost for everything but the hard drives only came up to $250 total (already owned the hard drives). It runs everything totaly lag free.

I have already looked at http://newegg.com and I wasn't very satisfied with the computers and they offered no customization options.

You're using Newegg.com wrong. You're supposed to buy the parts from them and build it yourself.

I have two machines that i bought prebuilt, one from iBuyPower which was a pretty good value/cost, and one from Fry's, which was excellent value/cost, but sadly, it's a laptop.

I've only built a tower computer myself, is it any harder to build a laptop, or just putting the parts in the casing?

Wasn't aware you wanted a laptop. Those are much tougher to build. You should go with Toshiba, then. They're pretty fantastic.

No, I don't want a laptop, I was just wondering what went into making one. Until today, I didn't even know they sold laptop parts for DIY computers.

I don't know if they do either, but having tried building a frankentop out of spare bits, i can safely say that it is a pain in the ass.

Wasn't aware you wanted a laptop. Those are much tougher to build. You should go with Toshiba, then. They're pretty fantastic.

I would give a try to ASUS too, they really know their stuff when it comes to gaming gear, and they really nailed their laptops. Never tried a Toshiba, so I couldn't say for sure, but I'm pretty ASUS laptops are among the laptops that can pack the biggest punch.

Lol acer is better than both of them :)

You think toshiba an Asus are good but Alienware is crap? :/

What. Acer is absolute trash. Acer is the bargain bin brand. Toshibas are well built, decent value for price, and have a good range of builds. Asus has the netbook and smaller notebook market completely cornered.

Alienware on the other hand has frequent problems with machines that don't include adequate cooling, bloated prices, and bad bottlenecks, i.e extremely high ram with a bad video card. Alienware is just mac for gamers. sounds nice and looks nice, but really is only useful for a small handful of people.

What. Acer is absolute trash. Acer is the bargain bin brand. Toshibas are well built, decent value for price, and have a good range of builds. Asus has the netbook and smaller notebook market completely cornered.

Alienware on the other hand has frequent problems with machines that don't include adequate cooling, bloated prices, and bad bottlenecks, i.e extremely high ram with a bad video card. Alienware is just mac for gamers. sounds nice and looks nice, but really is only useful for a small handful of people.

My wife has an acer. Support is good and all I've done is defrag it once. It's about two years old and still running great