Minecraft Account Migrations & New Accounts

Lord Ptolemy

Account Type  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Is your account a Microsoft account?

• No, I still have a Minecraft.net account(login w/ username)
    • No, I still have a Mojang account(login w/ email)
    • Yes, I've migrated my account
    • Yes, I bought game after December 1st 2020

This poll is closed to new votes

On 5/9/2021 at 5:13 PM, Pyker said:

We're nearly ready.

That's good to hear. I'm pretty sure my account was migrated without my permission somehow, or maybe I'm wrong and something else got screwed up (I get the standard "your credentials are wrong" or w/e trying to login to technic). Been slowly moving to playing with modpacks with servers, and it's a bit frustrating how a lot of servers more or less say "just use the technic launcher" and seem completely unaware of the current issues with that. If they could just list what mods they use, I could download and install them myself easily...

But that's neither here nor there. I'm just glad I'll hopefully be able to play easily within the next month or two! Or at least this year. I don't mind being patient.

• Forum Administrators

Migrations haven't begun yet, so unless you bought your account on or after December 1st 2020, then you still have a Mojang account.

Sometimes Mojang's auth server will also somehow fail to realize you do own Minecraft, which is... weird, and rare.

Made an account just to ask the question, (Even though I've been an avid Technic Modpack creator). If The Migration takes place, will the OG Java accounts still be able to access the pack with the regular login? Or will we also have to migrate to microsoft in order to use the launcher? This question might have been answered before but I might have missed it.

• Forum Administrators
14 hours ago, DarkAssassinLink said:

Made an account just to ask the question, (Even though I've been an avid Technic Modpack creator). If The Migration takes place, will the OG Java accounts still be able to access the pack with the regular login? Or will we also have to migrate to microsoft in order to use the launcher? This question might have been answered before but I might have missed it.

Yes, you will still be able to login in via Mojang(email) or Minecraft(username) accounts. All accounts will eventually be forced to migrate to a Microsoft account. Until that happens the launcher will continue to support all 3 login methods(Microsoft support is still being worked on).

How long till since it's been almost 2 weeks since you've said nearly ready, of course doing this in the first place was a hassle and that 2 weeks isn't much compared but as a person who made a basic retro game on a 5 Year old gaming PC it should only take as much time as it took me to make the entire thing, which is about 4 weeks/a month. Even then I had learnt it for a month then didn't do code for another year or so then learnt it again and was still able to make a basic retro game. 

I'd rather not participate to force someone to rush anything or make them stressed but if you saw the poll that was made after the migration announcement, you could see that 200 people said they got their account after the migration and thats just for those who could sign up.

Again, take your time but just be mindful about the Technic and Tekkit supporters

6 minutes ago, Jade Kai said:

How long till since it's been almost 2 weeks since you've said nearly ready, of course doing this in the first place was a hassle and that 2 weeks isn't much compared but as a person who made a basic retro game on a 5 Year old gaming PC it should only take as much time as it took me to make the entire thing, which is about 4 weeks/a month. Even then I had learnt it for a month then didn't do code for another year or so then learnt it again and was still able to make a basic retro game. 

I'd rather not participate to force someone to rush anything or make them stressed but if you saw the poll that was made after the migration announcement, you could see that 200 people said they got their account after the migration and thats just for those who could sign up.

Again, take your time but just be mindful about the Technic and Tekkit supporters

Well It might be taking a bit because of the ramifications of legal issues with Microsoft. If they backwards engineer their code in order to add microsoft account support to technic, It is highly possible Microsoft will come after them, and who knows what king of bugs they are trying to hammer out with this new feature they are working on. Also coding games is much different then coding a network based based update. 

• Forum Administrators

The reverse engineering and finding bugs part is right.

Also, we have a beta release now. It's a bit hacky to set up, since you can't really get into the launcher proper without logging in first.

So:

1. Download the launcher and run it
  2. Open %AppData% (you can just type this in the Start menu), go to .technic and open the settings.json file (Notepad works)
  3. Change the buildStream entry from "stable" to "beta"
  4. Restart the launcher
  5. You should now have the beta release, which allows you to login with Microsoft accounts

Please post any feedback in this thread.

• Forum Administrators

A bug in build 628, that resulted in Minecraft crashing with a GSON exception every time you tried to launch a modpack with a Microsoft account logged in, has been fixed. If you restart the launcher (in the beta stream) you'll receive the update to build 629.

6 hours ago, Pyker said:

Also, we have a beta release now. It's a bit hacky to set up, since you can't really get into the launcher proper without logging in first.

So:

2. Open %AppData% (you can just type this in the Start menu), go to .technic and open the settings.json file (Notepad works)
  4. Restart the launcher
  5. You should now have the beta release, which allows you to login with Microsoft accounts

hi i can't log into my microsoft account even tho i set up the new beta any tips?

6 hours ago, DarkAssassinLink said:

Im not a forum admin, but I'd like to know what it says when you try to login?

Well it asks me to sign into my Microsoft account and then it takes me to another tab to verify my identity and as soon as I'm done it says:(verification code sent you can now safely close the tab and then it says :(failed to log into Microsoft account)

15 hours ago, Pyker said:

So:

4. Restart the launcher

works fine for me. Thank you very much guys

• Forum Administrators

These updates have now been pushed to the stable channel. The workaround to set it up is no longer necessary (just download the launcher from the website).

If you want, you can switch to the stable release channel in the launcher settings.

Hey everyone! Hope this is the right place for this. Super excited to be able to login with my MS account, but having a bit of trouble and hoping someone can advise.

I am using linux but when I am trying to use a modpack, technic says "Java 11 does not work well with Minecraft. Proceed anyway?" I cilck yes but nothing happens. I tried to download the latest version of Java but it doesn't help. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

update:

Haha ha!!! I totally worked that whole thing out so never mind! Over here playing RLCraft right now y'all! Huzzah!!!! 

Edited by coffeenebula