Removing dug 64x64 quarries in my server. Best way?

My server of 5 people have excavated some twelve 64x64 quarries. We filled in the top layer of each quarry with dirt, and have subsequently suffered the frame rate consequences of the twelve 64x64 areas of flowing water right underneath us. I need to know a few things:

1. First and most importantly: How do I quickly fill these quarries so that the frame-rate can return to normal? MCEdit? I've never used it before. Any steps to follow would be most appreciated (getting the save file loaded, edited, and exported back to the server, etc).

2. Secondly, should we use dimensional anchors from now on and build the quarries hundreds of tiles away? Will one 9x9 chunk in the center of four 64x64 tile quarries (68 tiles deep) be enough?

Quarries are self-loading last I saw (I placed one and saw it load 25 chunks)

As for filling them, use a filler set-up on the same dimensions (must be a 3d shape unlike the quarries 2d) and have them fill with dirt, will take time and power (and dirt) but should reduce the lag from having the area render and process

I don't know if this will remove the water, you might have to do that by hand

I really just want to fill the quarries in externally through a third party program. The server lag at this point is just too much to do everything manually with Tekkit's fillers.

I just downloaded MCEdit for the first time, loaded up a copy of my server's save file and filled in all the quarries. I moved the unedited save to a safe location and replaced it with the file I just edited and restarted the server. Upon loading up, the server crashes (Crash report). I reverted back to the previous map-save and the server operates normally, with the exception of the low server frame-rate.

How can I prevent the MCedit save from crashing the server upon reset?

Does MCEdit just not work with the latest tekkit lite? It took me 5 minutes to fill 12 quarries and save it.

It will mess up your worlds. Seriously. It works fine with Vanilla, but any block ID above 255 will be altered to something completely different. So instead of Tin Ore, you may find Computers underground.

I think the ICBM mod from Voltz has Rocket Launchers and Rejuvenation Missiles. These will regenerate the chunk they explode in.

Well I put WorldEdit.jar into my plugins directory, restarted the server, and the server is acting like it doesn't even recognize it because all of the commands render "Unknown Command" as a result in-game. I don't know much about the Voltz mod but I don't want to force all my users to download it too.

Sounds good y'all. I got Bukkitforge to work but I want to experiment with MCPC+ as well for FPS reasons. We managed to get WorldEdit working and we filled in our quarries. Now our factory is the only FPS hog left and that may need a major overhaul. 33+ constantly running redstone engines, etc.

wLhfoi0.jpg

• Discord Moderator

1) Get rid of the crystal chests. I see that you have signs on them anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

2) Never use BC (or additional pipes) for anything. Ender chests for things that won't push items into tesseracts (are there any?) and tesseracts are your friend.

3) A pretty good rule of thumb: If you are playing Tekkit Lite, and are still using timers, you probably are doing something old-school/wrong. Sure, there are times they "might" be useful, but nearly every application has an updated and more efficient way of doing things in Tekkit Lite.

4) I know it's been brought up a few times already, but you could probably replace that entire (enormous) factory with a 10x10 room of stuff using Applied Energistics.

To recap:

1. Switch out Crystal chests for diamond chests.

2. Remove BC Pipes (Golden Transport, Diamond Transport, etc).

3. Incorporate Ender Chests.*

4. Remove Timer(s).**

5. Try looking into Applied Energistics.

My issues:

1. Using ender chests instead of diamond chests may eliminate the redstone engines and phased transport pipes, but I will lose 81 slots of storage for each diamond chest replaced.

2. Afaik BC pipes are the only ones capable of sorting damaged or chargeable (ie: batteries) items via diamond transport pipe. The purpose for the BC pipes is to prevent cobblestone from entering the long sorting process (to avoid lag) and to sort batteries, tools, etc.

3. The factory as a whole uses 1 timer for everything that is wired into all of the sorting machines and retriever.

4. I've never heard of Myst Ages. I take it tekkit lite has this and I can incorporate that somehow?

I swapped out the crystal chests and noticed a slight FPS bump (thx!). Applied energistics is something I want to look into but if I can bring the optimization of this factory up to par I'd like to try that first.

• Discord Moderator

The idea wasn't to switch out the diamond for ender, but to use the ender as a transport mechanism. For instance: Say you wanted to make a big cobble generator. Take 6 igneous extruders and put them all around an ender chest. Then you pipe out from another ender chest into a DSU or ME Network (or both of you have a storage bus on the DSU. In Tekkit Lite, having de-centralized storage would definitely be considered "old-school".

If you must use BC pipes (shudder) then using Logistics Pipes can be a big improvement in item/container management without having to use retrievers, sorting machines, etc. BC as a whole, while it can be fun is showing its age compared to a lot of the other mods. For instance, say you need to provide water to something. A Water Pump Pipe can provide a ton of water, only needs 1 source block which it does not consume, and doesn't have to be powered. An aqueous accumulator can pump a HUGE amount of water if it has a lot of source blocks around it which it also doesn't consume and does not need to be powered. BC pumps? Yeah, not so much. And engines? All the Thermal Expansion engines do everything a BC engine can do, they don't blow up, are easier to manage, slow down automatically when not under load, and are generally better in every way. Logistics pipes are very neat, and provide an alternate path to going "ME Network Or Bust!". From a server management perspective, any game mechanic that has the potential to flood item drops into the world if something is mis-configured is just "bad".

The idea about timers isn't that you might not be using a lot of them (which would be bad for a lot of other reasons) but that if you have a system that requires them, it is probably outdated and inefficient in regards to Tekkit Lite. That isn't a criticism of your design, but just that MUCH of the information available on line is not up to date with where the mods are.

Mystcraft provides a mechanism to make "custom worlds" that you can enter just like the Nether or End, but with many custom properties such as always day, "bright" even underground, different world generation properties, etc. Ages that are "stable" can be a challenge to make, especially early on, are challenging to achieve but fun to play with. Ages that are not stable can have 1 to many permanent debuffs which can make them VERY dangerous if you are not well armored (think fully upgraded modular power suit). The challenge with Mystcraft from a server perspective is that it can be a MASSIVE resource hog. Imagine an always night world where there are TONS of mobs always spawned, each of which has 3-4 debuffs which have to be managed and counted down by the server. Ugh. A server that can handle 10 people being very active, all in different places in the normal world can be brought to its knees with just one person in a Mystcraft age that has the worst instability.

For starters I replaced a ton of pipes, mag tubes, the chests and engines with item tesseracts. The performance is dramatically better (34+fps) and the factory is 20% smaller. I'm definitely going to spend some time upgrading this factory soon though with everything y'all have been recommending.