Thoughts on the new Tekkit pack?

lukeb28

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's looking pretty good. I can see it slipping away from what were once the cornerstones of not just Tekkit but modding itself, and moving towards newer, sometimes smaller but in so many ways better mods, and while I know there'll be hordes of people complaining, I personally love it! I'm not too bothered about the removal of IC2, since TE replaced and outclassed it a long time ago, but I might miss Redpower - I'm not sure what there is to replace them other than Buildcraft pipes (can AE do that stuff?). Either way, it's looking great and I'm loving the mod selection. This feels like a whole new era for Tekkit, and I have a feeling it's going to be an awesome one.

There are several things in IC2 that were most decidedly not replaced by TE, most notably mass fabs/UU, upper level machines with overclockers, etc. I would almost like to see GregTech as part of the pack, just for the fun giant machines, but on easy mode recipes, since some of that stuff is ridiculous. Not if it's going to be a huge pain to power the stuff without IC2, though.

Speaking of, where is power supply going to come from, other than engines? I guess that would make oil a priceless commodity. Maybe lava factories and engines would start having a use again, instead of everyone rushing for solar and nuclear.

Edit: Also, with the new backpacks, and with books requiring leather now, it'd be nice to see the rotten flesh to leather mod added, even if it's the hardcore version. Of course, I guess you could use MFR to make a cow farm...

Yeah, not everything is replaced from IC2, but quite honestly I only really used the power generation and armour from it. It did have some nice options for power generation though - I can't see TE overtaking it in that. MPS outclasses Ic2 armour as well, in my opinion. Other than those things though, I don't really feel that the loss of IC2 is the loss of much anymore. It would be nice if more power generation was added from something, but I'm not holding my breath. BC and TE seem happy with what they have, and appear to be focusing on stuff to use that power on, which is fine by me.

IC2 will be sorely missed by me at least, I'm one of the few who stuck with geothermal generators as a power source. They were really cheap for the beginning of the game, and they can be built in massive arrays to power much bigger things. However, Redpower is the mod I will most keenly miss. Although masses of timers can be laggy, redpower tubes are still the best method of transportation. Everything seemed much.....cleaner than in BC. Ah well, I have a custom pack with all of them in. Galacticraft might be fun though, as long as this version of Tekkit gets regular updates. MPS is something I've wanted in a for a while, but without IC2/UE, how can we charge the damned things? Are they compatible with BC power?

Unless someone else knows something I don't about MPS, the only way to charge them if both IC2 and the UE system aren't installed is to put either a kinetic or a solar generator in the thing and charge it that way. I guess there's a possibility something in MFR or BC could store and add power to it, but I'm not aware of it if it's there.

IC2 will be sorely missed by me at least, I'm one of the few who stuck with geothermal generators as a power source. They were really cheap for the beginning of the game, and they can be built in massive arrays to power much bigger things. However, Redpower is the mod I will most keenly miss. Although masses of timers can be laggy, redpower tubes are still the best method of transportation. Everything seemed much.....cleaner than in BC. Ah well, I have a custom pack with all of them in. Galacticraft might be fun though, as long as this version of Tekkit gets regular updates. MFS is something I've wanted in a for a while, but without IC2/UE, how can we charge the damned things? Are they compatible with BC power?

AE gentlemanly beats the everliving hell out of redpower.

A couple things:

- Thermex will have a charging bench style machine before release, and it will work with MPS.

- Item movement & automation can be replaced by buildcraft pipes, Applied Energistics ME networks, or MFR conveyors. Logistics Pipes will be going in the pack in a later version, once they have a stable 1.5 version. If you love redpower and you've been too set in your ways to try out Applied Energistics, then I guarantee you will thank us for removing RP2 after you do.

- There are going to be a few good generator options to start with (thermex steam, magmatic engines, combusti-ahahahahaha) and we're keeping a lookout for better generator options, since we know it's our weak point.

- If you've been using geothermal, then it should be pretty easy to transition to thermal expansion magmatics.

I'm all for UE because as said it does do a lot of things RP did EXCEPT there are no frames and the such. Unless I am mistaken, no mods add large structure mechanics (Without game crashing bugs) like RP did. The concept of frames is just so amazing and you can do almost anything with them!

When removing mods, there'll always be things that you miss from them. However, I think the new additions to the pack will more than make up for anything we've lost. Even redwire is replaced now, I think. Pretty amazing stuff in the new mods, and new stuff in the old ones. All in all, the future's looking bright.

Do we have any information that indicates whether RP might be included if it gets updated to the latest version of MC?

Both RP and IC2 have no versions for after MC1.4.7. Technic has left out popular mods that are lagging behind before, only for them to be included once they catch up.

Do we have any information that indicates whether RP might be included if it gets updated to the latest version of MC?

Both RP and IC2 have no versions for after MC1.4.7. Technic has left out popular mods that are lagging behind before, only for them to be included once they catch up.

RP is pretty much obsolete. Powercrystals' red network stuff does everything Redpower does, and more, with less obnoxious.

Same goes for IC2 as well.

vvv

RP is pretty much obsolete. Powercrystals' red network stuff does everything Redpower does, and more, with less obnoxious.

Same goes for IC2 as well.

vvv

Is there a replacement for frames? Frames are really all I care about in RP. They are really impressive and IMO make the game much more interesting.

Is there a replacement for frames? Frames are really all I care about in RP. They are really impressive and IMO make the game much more interesting.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1629898-151-powercrystals-mods-15-updates-are-here-rednet-logic-is-here/page__st__1520#entry21912121

That's rednet. I dunno about frames. There's a lot of problems with frames afaik, the biggest of which being that Eloraam refuses to give an API to interact with them properly. I'm sure someone will come up with a good replacement for them that isn't neurotic.

The fact of the matter is Eloraam seems to disappear for months at a time, which means RP has stagnated and has been 'left behind'. I'm sure if Eloraam sticks her finger out and comes up with some well developed ideas, RP would become much better and fulfil its potential. It's a well made mod, and it was well-planned and was a sensation at the time. It's a bit sad when you consider it could have been so much more. Call me old fashioned, but I'm still finding it hard to migrate to AE and TE as a replacement for IC2, and to MFR instead of RP.

I'm finding the transition from IC2 to be easy as TE does the same things so much better save on power gen and UUM. I'm sure we'll find replacements for those eventually. It's redpower I'm going to miss :( Lets hope she comes back from the dead to update.

Eloraam is back now, but she disappeared from October 2012 until April this year, so she is waaaaayyyy behind. She made the mistake of getting ahead of the game and then resting on her laurels. She is entitled to a break I suppose, but this is the result. First major pack (bar Voltz and the Yogbox) that doesn't have RP in it.

We're most interested in delivering a solid experience. Can't make it a popularity contest and stubbornly stick with the celebs just because they're well known. IC2 and Redpower were both cornerstone mods but new modders have stepped up to produce some amazing work. We've always been about highlighting the amazing work of modders and showing them off to the community. With the new mod lineup for Tekkit, we see a lot of those modders who are easily going to become the next big recognized names. Most of their mods replace a lot of the IC2 and Redpower functionality with their own takes, which in many ways are a bit more cutting edge and easier on computer performance. Take that with the fact that Redpower has always been the major holdup for every pack update adding weeks onto release dates. We think it's just time to move on. Just have to grit our teeth and weather the initial knee jerk reactions until people realize that these new mods are on a whole new level, and this update is probably going to be the best in a long time.

Just look at this website afterall. www.technicpack.net/tekkit

sexy :smug: it has to be good with a website and logo like that.