Thoughts on the new Tekkit pack?

lukeb28

Also, what's up with Greg's Lighting? The mod's page only lists 1.4.6 versions, and it seems CannibalVox (the gut who helped fork Buildcraft, if I remember correctly) is an author of it now. Has Greg's Lighting been updated specifically for Tekkit?

Hi, something a lot of people don't know about me is I'm a professional software developer. So I've got some class levels in modder to go with my modpacking experience, and I like to do some programming stuff to help Technic out, in addition to the modpacks I maintain and the mod I'm working on. These things tend to be very small, like the buildcraft and additional pipes forks I made for Technic 1.0.6. In this case, I talked to Greg Ewing, and he told me to go for it on porting Greg's Lighting to 1.5. He didn't say as much, but I got the impression that he's spending most of his time these days on his Stargate mod. I tore out the IC2 lamp and the carbide lamp and nerfed the unpowered floodlight recipe, and the result is located here: https://github.com/cannibalvox/gregslighting If you want to include it in your own modpack, you can use this: http://build.technicpack.net/job/GregsLighting/

The important thing to keep in mind is even though I did the port job, the mod is still Greg Ewing's, and he did all the relevant work, I just ported it (and even tore some stuff out to make it easier to port).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thought I really have for the new Tekkit is that the name Tekkit should be changed because it's not based around a Bukkit anymore. Other than that it was pretty fun and AE is byfar my new favorite mod besides thermal expansion.

You'd be surprised at how much solar radiation a panel gets without an atmosphere in the way.

that is my point

the problem is though that the mod will be set to stop power at a mincraft time and obviously as there is no day or night on a space station

The only thought I really have for the new Tekkit is that the name Tekkit should be changed because it's not based around a Bukkit anymore. Other than that it was pretty fun and AE is byfar my new favorite mod besides thermal expansion.

Out of those two things, Bukkit and Tekkit, which is still relevant? I think we'll keep the name. They can change theirs. :dealwithit:

• Forum Administrators

Out of those two things, Bukkit and Tekkit, which is still relevant? I think we'll keep the name. They can change theirs. :dealwithit:

:lizard:

But Butt buut! Cheap! We said it! You have to do it Ya have to! Think of all those poor confused souls looking for the new technic but only finding the old one! We have to help them!!!

Is it still possible that Redpower and IndustrialCraft2 could be updated to be compatible with this new pack?

Those are two of the freakin' best mods out there.

I mean they're not really though. And it depends on your definition of possible. For Redpower, it's not really possible because adding RP2 now would mean volcanoes spawning into existing worlds, possibly on top of people's houses. IC2, we'd have to figure out a way to get uranium to spawn into existing worlds, but it's probably possible.

We still wont' do it, though.

IC2 is no longer being developed. The people maintaining it have said that the original author disappeared and they are only updating it at this point. They are never going to add anything new. They are never going to improve it or fix anything or rebalance it or anything that might stop it from going out of date (it already has). It is the same as your horse dying and someone else comes to drag it down the road. Just because it's moving doesn't mean it's not dead.

Redpower is still being worked on, but Elo is clearly overwhelmed by irl. Happens to the best of us. Real life is more important than Minecraft legos. As amazing as redpower is, new mods have shown up that replace most of RP's functionality. Eloraam has been pretty unwilling to work with anyone or even respond to anyone in the community. People are also pretty tired of the volcanoes and giant trees. Bottom line though is that redpower has always been the last mod to update every time. We would still be waiting to release Tekkit if we were to hold out for Redpower. In the past it has delayed our release by a pretty standard two weeks+, with all the other mods ready to go. It's just time to move on.

Honestly people. It's time to give new modders with great looking mods, a positive attitude, and a willingness to work together, a chance to shine instead of stubbornly sticking to what you know. All these amazing new modders in Tekkit? They're all cool people doing amazing work. They're working with us directly, and even better, they're working with each other. Just spend some time learning how to use these new mods. Pretty soon they're going to be the ones you cant play Minecraft without. :dealwithit:

Source?

Reality? Should be enough just to look at IC2 over time. If not here is a quote from RichardG.

You can ignore most of it. It's mainly a dude having a fight with him, and him yelling about someone that isn't us for once. I'm not really interested in all that.

The relevant bit is:

"Many claim that gregtech is maintaining IC2. This is semi true. we'll continue updating as long as possible, but Alblaka disappeared out of teh blue, and the fact that it's longer than his previous university breaks makes me worries. Be happy with your boats and cable painting. me and Player aren't in for the creativity."

That with the first paragraph shows that Alblaka is MIA. They aren't adding anything new. They don't really care about IC2 personally. They are just keeping it going as long as they can. And they are spending more time trying to enforce DRM on a mod they aren't even creatively interested in, than they spend working on it.

Take what you want from that. These people all have their own mods they care about. IC2 doesn't have that anymore. Nothing lasts forever (Except Glorious Peoples Technic! Long live Technic!).

Just the way it goes.

Reality? Should be enough just to look at IC2 over time. If not here is a quote from RichardG.

You can ignore most of it. It's mainly a dude having a fight with him, and him yelling about someone that isn't us for once. I'm not really interested in all that.

The relevant bit is:

"Many claim that gregtech is maintaining IC2. This is semi true. we'll continue updating as long as possible, but Alblaka disappeared out of teh blue, and the fact that it's longer than his previous university breaks makes me worries. Be happy with your boats and cable painting. me and Player aren't in for the creativity."

That with the first paragraph shows that Alblaka is MIA. They aren't adding anything new. They don't really care about IC2 personally. They are just keeping it going as long as they can. And they are spending more time trying to enforce DRM on a mod they aren't even creatively interested in, than they spend working on it.

Take what you want from that. These people all have their own mods they care about. IC2 doesn't have that anymore. Nothing lasts forever (Except Glorious Peoples Technic! Long live Technic!).

Just the way it goes.

Well thanks for that, I just hadn't heard anything because I normally don't keep up with mod development.

It's a lot more "official" than I'd previously realised, but I kinda worked a lot of that stuff out anyway. They don't seem to be bothered about actually doing anything for IC2, and have basically left any new content to addons.

IC2 used to definitely be one of the core tech mods. But now, just to add my bit (because I can :P), we have many replacements. TE does wonderfully at autosmelting and doubling of ores AND handles BC power in a great way, Powersuits takes the place a weapon with high damage and durability, and then you still have the ability to add other features to it, whereas with IC2 you had the (diamond) drill and chainsaw. Oh, and crops that give you extra materials (gold/iron dust, etc...)? Forestry and extrabees. Honestly, I only use IC2 itself to power rotary macerators, induction furnaces, and my AE system, as well as my Gravisuit and Vajra (which I'm considering swapping out for MMPS). And I'm sure if you really want beer in MC you can go find a mod somewhere that'll give you that.

TL;DR It's not that much to read. Stop being lazy and read it.

And I'm sure if you really want beer in MC you can go find a mod somewhere that'll give you that.

Uh... yeah, thanks for reminding me. Right, get that test version out first....

Uh... yeah, thanks for reminding me. Right, get that test version out first....

If you get a playable version of it out soon it can go in the KJ pack. By soon I mean I'm making the pack tomorrow night.