Thoughts on the new Tekkit pack?

lukeb28

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone want to come on tbr with me? Trying to rid spawn of some monsters

Well that was off topic...

Anyway, while I will probably not be playing the new Tekkit (custom packs are cooool) I am looking forward to trying out these new features and mods, such as Applied Energistics and MFR's rednet. It is missing a few mods that I like to use (the new MFFS, ICBM, that sort of thing), although it looks like it is going to be really good.

Also, the website is... well... Amazing!

I will be trying the new Tekkit for sure I think the mod list looks amazing I'm happy to see mystcraft return and very excited about dimensional doors, I will miss coloured wire from RP2 it played so nice with computercraft; and I am disappointed no mods expanding the amount of biomes has been added to Tekkit. All that being said I have to admit I am addicted to the UE mods and the way they handle electricity it's simply genius, and biotech and mekanism are lots of fun and I think galacticraft fits the technology style of UE. It would be amazing if Voltz had all UE mods and galacticraft as well as buildcraft; mystcraft and buildcraft are the two mods I miss while I'm playing Voltz lol

I'm finding the transition from IC2 to be easy as TE does the same things so much better save on power gen and UUM. I'm sure we'll find replacements for those eventually. It's redpower I'm going to miss :( Lets hope she comes back from the dead to update.

Those replacements are being developed as we speak. I'm actually helping here and there. They look goooood.

Well that was off topic...

Anyway, while I will probably not be playing the new Tekkit (custom packs are cooool) I am looking forward to trying out these new features and mods, such as Applied Energistics and MFR's rednet. It is missing a few mods that I like to use (the new MFFS, ICBM, that sort of thing), although it looks like it is going to be really good.

Also, the website is... well... Amazing!

Damn it thought I was in kitty jail. Well thats embarrassing

MFR does that.

Does it do coloured wires yet, though? We're talking Bundled Cable kind of thing here, not just redstone wire.

I don't think you can by the way, Lawrence. Try using Mystcraft linking books and possibly portals instead.

I would like to know for sure if MFR has bundled coloured cables like RP2... that is my favorite part of RP it makes it makes wiring so much less bulky when you have multiple mechanisms in one building for example (one wire vs having a separate wire run for every mechanism which can end up bigger than the structure you're wiring it all up in without it)

And I've only just gotten "full" mastery of IC².

Now I can go back to figuring out which machine does what. *sigh*

Still, the new pack looks interesting enough that I'll probably switch over from Tekkit Lite to the new Tekkit, even though I thought I'd hold out until the 1.6 update (horses!).

Of course, I'll heavily mod the modpack again. Thaumcraft, Forestry, MineChem, BiblioCraft. Oh, yes.

EDIT: How many planets and moons will the version of GalactiCraft included in Tekkit Nu have?

Just Kerbin and the Mun the "Earth" and the moon? Or will this version have more?

I can see why RP2 has been removed (we don't know when it will be out, after all), but IC2? I know as a fact they have a 1.5.1 build out. What's up with that? IC2 provides some core functionality that Tekkit will miss dearly. Not to mention all the add-ons...

Most of their mods replace a lot of the IC2 and Redpower functionality with their own takes, which in many ways are a bit more cutting edge and easier on computer performance.

If one is on the cutting edge, one must be prepared to bleed.

• Forum Administrators

I can see why RP2 has been removed (we don't know when it will be out, after all), but IC2? I know as a fact they have a 1.5.1 build out. What's up with that? IC2 provides some core functionality that Tekkit will miss dearly. Not to mention all the add-ons...

What functionality from IC2 do you think Tekkit will miss dearly?

I would like to know for sure if MFR has bundled coloured cables like RP2... that is my favorite part of RP it makes it makes wiring so much less bulky when you have multiple mechanisms in one building for example (one wire vs having a separate wire run for every mechanism which can end up bigger than the structure you're wiring it all up in without it)

Yes, rednet cables have 16 channels just like bundled cable. When rednet cable connects to a block you can see a little white band- this means that the connected block will communicate over rednet along the white channel. You can change the channel by using the precision sledgehammer on the band.

And I've only just gotten "full" mastery of IC².

EDIT: How many planets and moons will the version of GalactiCraft included in Tekkit Nu have?

Just Kerbin and the Mun the "Earth" and the moon? Or will this version have more?

The overworld and the moon to start. He's got advancement to Mars mostly complete but it won't be ready for this first release.

The only two things I like to know and really care about are two things:

1. Will it be bugfixed much? (Or maybe even more then updated?)
  2. Will it not be replaced as fast as Tekkit Lite?

1. I sure hope so.

2. Hopefully not.

What functionality is that? What addons? Most of IC2's core functionality involved solving problems created by IC2. Thermal Expansion, Modular Powersuits, and MineFactory Reloaded replace almost all of IC2's functionality with very few exceptions. In fact the only exception I can think of off the top of my head is UU-Matter.

I also contest your second assertion, that IC2 has a 1.5.1 build out. I'm sure that someone has built a version of IC2 that is ostensibly for 1.5.1, but that is not the same as having a build out. IC2 has not completed a successful public release since 1.4.5, which is almost 6 months ago. They didn't have a public release for 1.4.6, 1.5.0, 1.5.1, it's safe to say they won't have one for 1.5.2.

It's easy to say "oh well if you go on their Jenkins", and certainly the IC2 staff enjoys saying that in lieu of completing a release, but here is the crux of the issue: If the IC2 team is not willing to endorse any given build for public consumption, how can the Technic team?

And to be honest, I don't blame them- I've tried to use some of their jenkins builds. They swing wildly between laggy, buggy, crashy, incompatible with other mods, and the builds that do work all contain breaking API changes which prevent them from being added to modpacks. The whole project is falling apart at the seams, and IC2 is not any more ready for 1.5 than RP2 is.

Well I am beyond relieved to hear the bundled cables idea still exists ( that would have been the only reason for me to miss RP2). To be honest I have never been much of a fan of IC2 and in Tekkit Lite I never really used it at all. There are many builds with Electric Expansion and Mekanism or Thermal Expansion with IC2 included and I always opt for the alternative to IC2; I am not fond of the way their custom blocks look they seem outdated to me and I think Atomic Science much better demonstrates how a nuclear reactor in Minecraft should work.I am wondering what other sources of power other than buildcraft there will be however I'm mostly wondering because of the powersuits, will we be charging them with buildcraft power?

Also I find it interesting they included only two mods from UE, this pack would be interesting with some other UE mods included.

What I'll miss-

RP2: Frames.

Tubes are nice and all, but I've always preferred pipes (even when server ops don't).

IC2: Crops, cheap early energy storage, solar power, and the chainsaw.

Chainsaw because it's a friggin chainsaw! Yes plasma shooty robot hand is cool as well, but it's not as satisfying against zombies...

Crops are really nice for early game food and fuel (easy to get enough crops of reed to power early processing operations) and mid-late cross breeding is an interesting diversion.

What I won't miss is obsidian being as effective as dirt against explosions. Plus nukes, nukes can bite me.

Of course, nothing says the mods can't be added to other modpacks. Yay platform!

Edit: Oh, and as for UU matter? I'd like to see minechem considered for that roll once it updates.

Nothing quite as sweet as chucking a couple stacks of sugar into a machine and getting diamonds out.