Modpacks without permissions

Bunkmug

More importantly, it's not our place to make that correspondence anyway.the process exists the way it does for a reason. It is the responsibility of the modpack makers to get their own permissions handled, and it's the responsibility of copyright holders to monitor and enforce their copyright.

And then, it's the responsibility of the content host to remove content, once it's been decided that copyright is being violated. Platform doesn't even host anything though. It's just a convenient index. The host would be dropbox, mediafire etc. etc.

Everything that Jay just said is true. It is not Technic's responsibility. Think of the Platform as the contents page of a book; it lists things and tells you where they are, the content isn't actually on that page, just where you can find it.

it's the responsibility of copyright holders to monitor and enforce their copyright.

Generally that is correct, but in this case, when the mod authors don't actually hold valid copyright, it's irrelevant. They cannot do anything about it. Short of issuing a false DMCA against you (which is illegal anyway, if Technicpack.net got DMCA'd, Kakermix would probably sue), there is nothing they can do. Therefore, stop whining about copyright and enjoy the packs!

Yeah, but I still think that top packs need to have permissions on every mod included on them.

The Technic-hosted packs do. You'll notice, much to my annoyance, that neither Tekkit Lite nor 1.5.x Tekkit have Thaumcraft or OptiFine (though the latter is easy to install).

I believe your looking for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

As a mod developer, I have released my mod under the MIT license, meaning you do not have to get permission to include in a pack. I am not fully certain of the relavent copyright laws. That being said, it's a simple matter of respect. If a mod developer has asked to be asked about people using their work, you can take the time to contact them politely. After all, the last thing you want to do is fuel the fire of DRM.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I do agree that technic can't police the modpack list. This is in response to luke.

As a mod developer, I have released my mod under the MIT license, meaning you do not have to get permission to include in a pack. I am not fully certain of the relavent copyright laws. That being said, it's a simple matter of respect. If a mod developer has asked to be asked about people using their work, you can take the time to contact them politely. After all, the last thing you want to do is fuel the fire of DRM.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I do agree that technic can't police the modpack list. This is in response to luke.

Yes, that very well may be your right. Until people with much more legal background, duke it out in a court and come to a decision, that's all speculation. In the end though, if that is your right (about which i have conflicting opinions), it would be your responsibility to locate the offending packs, and follow whatever procedure an artist would use to have them taken down.

Didn't SOPA get shot down? Wasn't it due to it also being a piece of shit and anyone who backs it needing to be as far away from a position of power as possible?

Umm, ok. First of all, if I made a mod, someone included it in THEIR modpack, I wouldn't care. I would only care if they said it's their mod. There isn't any point of arguing about it, because you are acting like it's the end of the world. Second of all, the aether super pack put links, that also means that if someone were to click those links and donate to the modders, then woo-hoo! You're technically acting like they would WANT the mod out of it. Unless it's a private mod, then add the logic up; They probably wouldn't care.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to dig a 2 weeks old thread, but it kinda fits the purpose. Did I understand this right: if I for example add to my modpack Mo's creatures whose author explicitly says that nobody can use the mod for any modpack, and then I go openly advertise that, and suddenly the pack becomes popular, does the technic team care? I mean, everyone knows that I have no permission to the mod.

You say you don't care for permissions, but how far does that apply? Can I just shamelessly break any "permission rules" and will you promise to not take my pack down when the mod devs ask you to?

• 1 month later...