Fuck MCForums and all it stands for

jakj

You can check for presence of a mod at startup and selectively disable features as needed. I like that idea a lot, but Azanor keeps changing things too quickly for me to want to code an addon for it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killing mobs randomly to create a spawner is too easy.

Now a multiblock "soul trap" that has to be built before hand (think alchemist circle from full metal alchemist anime), that eats mobs (and their drops/xp) completely when activated to create the soul item needed to create a spawner. That is challenging and interesting gameplay.

Interesting, yes. More annoying than challenging, though, given Minecraft spawning and combat mechanics. It's nice to have to go through a process that makes things seem cooler to get, but I don't want it to feel like GregTech.

Ars Magica has a thing similar that eats mobs to produce energy for itself.

Now, what I could do is make the shard recipe expensive but let you trap a mob in a structure to make one more cheaply. But I don't want tapping mobs to be the way to charge one up.

Interesting, yes. More annoying than challenging, though, given Minecraft spawning and combat mechanics. It's nice to have to go through a process that makes things seem cooler to get, but I don't want it to feel like GregTech.

Ars Magica has a thing similar that eats mobs to produce energy for itself.

Now, what I could do is make the shard recipe expensive but let you trap a mob in a structure to make one more cheaply. But I don't want tapping mobs to be the way to charge one up.

Multi block AI structure, flies around on it's own sucking up any mobs it encounters in a large area. Returns to start location once quota is filled, and delivers spawner block.

Following up on Neowulfs idea: Make a "philosophers stone" out of a single diamond and some other stuff, make an alchemist "circle" with captured mobs at the nodes, activate it and poof! You have a spawner shard. Or perhaps you only get a thing to make the spawner shard, but still. Then you just place the spawner shard near other mobs (like cows and pigs at a vanilla farm), and kill 'em to charge it!

... You don't have to give up an arm and a leg for a mob spawner, right?

That would be the greatest mechanic ever... You have to pay arms and legs to use high level alchemy, and you have to build a really complicated automail prothesis to be able to function normally. Once you run out of limbs, you have to get noobs on your server and trap them in a pentagram.

That would be the greatest mechanic ever... You have to pay arms and legs to use high level alchemy, and you have to build a really complicated automail prothesis to be able to function normally. Once you run out of limbs, you have to get noobs on your server and trap them in a pentagram.

Or if you want to be more sadistic, you could harvest the harmless, innocent, villagers.

Why would it have to be limbs? The sensei of the brothers had her uterus removed, and I'm pretty sure someone had their heart ripped from him at some point in the saga.

So post-alchemy you get a message stating what was taken from you, a debuff related to what was taken, and how much knowledge of alchemy you gained in the process.

But that would be more of a FMA mod than a spawner mod...

Or if you want to be more sadistic, you could harvest the harmless, innocent, villagers.

It would be more accessible, but the reaction of a limbless MCforumer would be worth all the gold in the world... Maybe simple villagers could just be worth less? (All this is a mix between an idea and pure imagination, as I have no idea how difficult it could be to modify the player model in such a way it lacks limbs, and achieve that this lack of limbs affect the player's ability to move etc..)

Kocken idea... I like it. Maybe it could be a random limb/organ from a list of what you've got left. Maybe you could create mechanical contraptions able to replace your organs, but that are very expensive to create and require maintenance in some way?

Heh, you guys are silly. And it reminds me of the stained-glass mod (if I recall correctly) that took ground-up mobs as fuel.

Shadow Dragon continues to be a d.....well, continues to be unpleasant in his thread, putting out few updates and yet holding onto his "rights" like Scrooge MacDuck onto a clipped shilling, turning up his nose at anyone and everyone. And he's decided that the removal of soul-absorbing boost enchants is permanent because it's supposed to be "hard".

I would have just suggested to the people expressing discontent with this idea that they could just go use Dartcraft, that adds an easy way to get the soul-stealer enchants, but OH RIGHT I'M FUCKING BANNED still.

This guy needs to be taken down a peg and his pride deflated, in a calm, civil way. I've now decided for sure I'm going to create a competing Soul Shards mod (called something else, of course...I'm leaning toward "Your Soul Is Mine" but I'm open to suggestions), once I get Redstone In Motion into a state where I'm ready to call it the first official release.

Why would it have to be limbs? The sensei of the brothers had her uterus removed, and I'm pretty sure someone had their heart ripped from him at some point in the saga.

So post-alchemy you get a message stating what was taken from you, a debuff related to what was taken, and how much knowledge of alchemy you gained in the process.

But that would be more of a FMA mod than a spawner mod...

Depends on the severity of the alchemy. One guy lost his eyesight, but nothing else (not even his eyeballs). Anyway, it might be going off the course of soul shards, but I do like the idea of a bit more player involvement and sacrifice in the acts of alchemy and transmutation. How about having to sacrifice a part of your character permanently as the ultimate act of transmutation? If you've played Arcanum, and ever completed the Gods' Blessings hidden quest, you'd know how it ends.

LPA66-55.jpg

And this is a successful act of blessing.

It will be vanilla-only, with *maybe* optional mod integration at some point in the future. (Such integration would simply be automatically disabled if the mod in question were not present.)

[--snip--] I've now decided for sure I'm going to create a competing Soul Shards mod (called something else, of course...I'm leaning toward "Your Soul Is Mine" but I'm open to suggestions), once I get Redstone In Motion into a state where I'm ready to call it the first official release.

how about... "I vant to suck your SOUL!"

why?

because talking like a vampire is awsome....

and it will make a bloody mess that will suck on the minecraft fourms....and it would take a bite out of shadow dragon's mod

(see what i did there with the last line)

Okamikk, you are a loony. :P And that sounds like a movie.

I like Spirit Fragments. It doesn't scan very poetically, but it is certainly Awesome enough and also is a nice tweak on the phrase "soul shards" to make the link clear. I believe I'll go with that.

EDIT: Ooooh, Essentia Vitae...holy crap. Now I have a hard choice because both names have strong merits. I shall ponder.

Will it be open for modpacks?

And as you are doing this you may also program a free version of thaumcraft ;)

And when you get problems with the mcf I would love to offer you free file hosting and a forum on my server if you want:D

I give you points for cuteness, but it's too corny to really use. :P

dawww....you give me to much credit....

my mother came up with most of the puns when watching vampire diaries with my sister

...I have *never* been so tempted to break the no meme rule and post a Grumpy Cat in response.

you and me both

Okamikk, you are a loony. :P And that sounds like a movie.

I like Spirit Fragments. It doesn't scan very poetically, but it is certainly Awesome enough and also is a nice tweak on the phrase "soul shards" to make the link clear. I believe I'll go with that.

EDIT: Ooooh, Essentia Vitae...holy crap. Now I have a hard choice because both names have strong merits. I shall ponder.

anther one you could use is

soul stealing sea shells? (that arn't by the sea shore)

ohh...alright i will stop with the shitty puns...

i think soul fragments is the best.