MFR Laser Drill

Dash16

It might be a little early to ask this question here, as Tekkit 1.1.0 isn't recommended yet and not a lot of people might be running it, but has anyone had any luck getting the new MFR Laser Drill and Laser Drill Precharger to work?

I've dug a hole from the surface to bedrock, and placed a Laser Drill over the hole. I put a Laser Drill Precharger two blocks away, and rotated it so the green side was facing the drill. I ran Redstone Energy Conduit to the Precharger, and it has power. It's generating a whitish beam that runs to the Drill, but the drill doesn't seem to be powered. I can't connect the conduit directly to the Drill it seems, the Precharger must power it. Any ideas?

How many prechargers do you have set up? You need one for each of the side faces of the drill itself and they take a moment to fully power up the drill. I'm unsure if you can get it to run with just one precharger, if you can I would think it would also take a very long time to charge in that case.

Your setup needs to look like this.

gdBmRqL.jpg

All four huh? The MFR thread said 1-4, guess I'll collect more Pink Slimeballs.

As I said, I haven't tested it with less than four. It could still work with less, I was just unsure. How I think the prechargers work, is that they store up a massive amount of power as a buffer, and then start feeding that to the drill itself. So if you have only one, it is going to take four times longer to charge up and work than if you had 4. Or at least I assume so. Need to do some testing sometime.

I was able to get it running with 3, didn't do any other testing. 1 Didn't seem to be doing anything, the power didn't increment on the Drill at all. Thanks for the heads up, this looks to be a fun way to spend all the MJ I'm storing.

From the MFR page on the MC forums it mines "underneath" the bedrock, so effectively it produces ores for MJ. There's an upgrade to increase the odds of a particular ore type you want.

It's essentially an enormous energy sink which spawns ore in return.

• Discord Moderator

Just a quick test looks like well over 100K MJ per ore, maybe closer to 200K MJ. The speed would be largely determined by how quickly you could feed power to it.

Not fast, and amazingly power greedy, but automated and renewable. Setting up a power network to provide 100s of MJ/t seems like a good goal :)

Its a good end game goal, its by no means an early game goal, unless you are going to spam nether lava or biofuel factories. 3 redstone energy cells full, netted me 9 ores. A standard sized quarry would have gone to bedrock with less than that and gathered a substantial amount of resources. But if you have lots of renewable power, especially if your chunk loaded on a server, its a great goal to apsire to. As with plenty of time and power, it will keep you supplied with materials. And you can specify which resources it produces more of, so you can leave it overnight gathering more of particular things to replenish your stocks.

So this will be the replacement for UU matter basically? It sounds cool, also sounds like I need to make an automated farm to get some pink slime for this stuff. I can definately hack some more power gen into my system, maybe put in another floor of reactors in my plant.

I suggest making a slime embiggener, it takes a while to get enough pink slime to fill a bucket. One bucket for one small slime, grow to a medium and quadruple your chances for pink slimeballs.