[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

I just have one little problem with this perfect mod - the recipes are too easy.

I would prefer just a few huge moving structures, instead of a LOT on the server - and the motors and frames are too easily made. ;)

Could it be made like the base crosspiece you make for the frames, and one necessary element for the 3 types of motors could be set, and changed in the configuration?

Also I have no computercraft mod installed, but that motor item is still craftable.

The "hard mode" will include tiers of each item, requiring more materials for higher tiers, and the recipes there are now will be the base recipes for the lowest tier. There will also be energy requirements (at least Buildcraft, and possibly IC/UE support also). Also, some of the recipes will be alterable with my "Craftin' Cheap" mod that's currently WIP.

It is not possible for you to craft the Carriage Controller without ComputerCraft installed. You probably have it installed on your client, and if you try to craft it, it should just produce blankness as the server has no matching recipe to your client one.

Hello JakJ, I just made an incredible tutorial video of how to make a tunnel bore using Redstone In Motion, Expanded Redstone, and Extra Utilities.

You better check it out, this is truly the greatest tutorial ever created.

jakj, I have a question regarding chunk loader blocks. How do they behave in conjuction with the mod? I would assume that when such a block is moved, it is temporarily removed from the world, and stops functioning until reappearing in the next position. Would that cause the structure to unload and stop working? Because in that case, it'd be necessary to have 2 chunk loaders that move independently of each other.

Even if the modder was smart and coded well their chunk loader so it handles well being moved, the structure could indeed be unloaded during transit if the loader is being moved and you're unlucky.

At the least, you will need one loader to keep the core loaded while it moves. I have not tested chunk loaders with my mod, and it's also possible that, if they are coded in a lazy way, they could either continue to forever load chunks as if they were in their original position, or else continually try to load chunks redundantly along their path.

You're very modest I see, BBoldt.

I was being sarcastic. I know it's a terrible video, I just kept making mistakes when trying to record. Initially I was going to delete the video, but instead I edited it together all mistakes included as sort of a parody of shitty ftb tutorials. Making a tutorial video isn't as easy as it looks lol.

Even if the modder was smart and coded well their chunk loader so it handles well being moved, the structure could indeed be unloaded during transit if the loader is being moved and you're unlucky.

At the least, you will need one loader to keep the core loaded while it moves. I have not tested chunk loaders with my mod, and it's also possible that, if they are coded in a lazy way, they could either continue to forever load chunks as if they were in their original position, or else continually try to load chunks redundantly along their path.

I have a mining machine on server that seems to work fine with only one world anchor. I'm not sure if there are chunks staying loaded after it moves past them, but it is working. There are some oddities from the way minecraft world gens, such as fluids won't flow until a player walks through, and certain structures don't appear until a player loads it either.

I have a mining machine on server that seems to work fine with only one world anchor. I'm not sure if there are chunks staying loaded after it moves past them, but it is working. There are some oddities from the way minecraft world gens, such as fluids won't flow until a player walks through, and certain structures don't appear until a player loads it either.

I was imagining a complicated 2-part frame which would have been a pain to engineer, I'm glad it won't be necessary. I might do it anyway, though.

Okay, so, I've recently come to grips with three facts of life:

1) The way I'm doing labels for translocators right now is extremely shitty.

2) The ways I've tried to do texturing for the different tiers of everything have been six orders of magnitude shittier.

3) GUIs in modern Forge are actually really easy.

So, I'm taking back my previous "no GUI" rule, and I'm going to switch from trying to texture these things to just displaying it in a gui. I really don't think it's that much of a hardship on people to just right-click on something to see its current status. Being able to see everything on the side of the block at a glance is nice, of course, but it's just turning into such a complete pain in the ass, especially with multiple texture sets to support (all of which I like and won't get rid of), that it's just not worth it.

I can't just say "activate the block with anything except a screwdriver" without forcing you to sneak any time you want to put anything anywhere on a carriage, so I'm going to require the activation to be done with an empty hand to bring up the status display.

I can also create a second tool for the purpose, if people want. The benefit of this is that empty hotbar slots tend to get filled up if you're breaking/moving things a lot, so it's hard to keep an empty spot, so it's handy to have "something" you can place there that will keep that slot devoted to a particular purpose. It would be optional to make this tool, unlike the screwdriver. Thoughts?

Not hard to do, you just have to make one trigger the other, like a self-driven caterpillar motor.

Exactly, unless you over-complicate it in your head. =P

Sounds good. A GUI is probably easier to code/texture for you and easier to use for us; I'd hate to have to dig up or look really closely at a translocator to see what colour code it is.

Agreed.

I know you are aware of the fact that you are not compatible with the latest Multipart,but I was wondering if you are planning to update to support it any time soon?

I have some plans on a project involving Project Red and your Frames,so just asking so I can decide whether I want to wait for an update or plan a work around.

Thanks,also loving the most recent changes to the Frames =)

Made my day when I was able to add remove frames from a template.

Keep up the awesome modding. =)

I know you are aware of the fact that you are not compatible with the latest Multipart,but I was wondering if you are planning to update to support it any time soon?

I have some plans on a project involving Project Red and your Frames,so just asking so I can decide whether I want to wait for an update or plan a work around.

Yes, it's on my priority list, and I'm working on it over the next few days.

Don't know if this might help at all, but if your looking for an updated mod that gives redpower style wires (regular, insulated, bundled and free-standing), logic gates, lamps and so on that is updated regularly and works fine with any version of redstone in motion (and doesn't have external requirements like multipart), I'd check out immbis redlogic here, he also has redpower style microblocks (covers etc) that were around before multipart that some have said work fine with frames as well (I haven't tested them myself) here.

Edit: Just tested and covers work just fine as well

Don't know if this might help at all, but if your looking for an updated mod that gives redpower style wires (regular, insulated, bundled and free-standing), logic gates, lamps and so on that is updated regularly and works fine with any version of redstone in motion (and doesn't have external requirements like multipart), I'd check out immbis redlogic here, he also has redpower style microblocks (covers etc) that were around before multipart that some have said work fine with frames as well (I haven't tested them myself) here.

Edit: Just tested and covers work just fine as well

Yeah I have used the mod in the past,I can use it for testing but the project in the end will be on a challenge/FTB Style map so do not want to build with stuff I will not be keeping. Thanks for trying to help =)

Being as I only intend to keep Project red for RP replacements.

No biggie I can just wait for Jakj to release a fix for the latest Multipart.

What would be cool though,is if you happen to know the last version of Multipart Redstone In Motion did work with though.

Heads up on a small upcoming breaking change:

I have a typo in my code, where I say "BlockIds" instead of "Block IDs" in the config file. I'm going to fix this for the NEXT release (so don't do anything yet). What this means is that you should go into your config file (after installing the next release when it comes out, but before actually running it), and where you see this:

BlockIds

Change it to this:

"Block IDs"

I'll admit I'm doing this just because I'm too anal-retentive to let the typo slide now that I've seen it. I'm pulling the "I'm not getting paid for this so nyah" card on this one. :P

Heads up on a small upcoming breaking change:

I have a typo in my code, where I say "BlockIds" instead of "Block IDs" in the config file. I'm going to fix this for the NEXT release (so don't do anything yet). What this means is that you should go into your config file (after installing the next release when it comes out, but before actually running it), and where you see this:

BlockIds

Change it to this:

"Block IDs"

I'll admit I'm doing this just because I'm too anal-retentive to let the typo slide now that I've seen it. I'm pulling the "I'm not getting paid for this so nyah" card on this one. :P

So this is a world breaker then? Damn...