Powerline Ethernet & Tekkit Server

Gomo

Hello guys,

I've decided to buy 2 powerline ethernet adapters due to my weak wireless signal. Now the problem is.. my server doesn't want/cant connect to the port. Does anyone know what I need to do in order to make it work? And if it's even possible to have it working like that. (works great on wireless).

Thanks in advance!

If I understand correctly from the description from the manufacturer this pair of devices simulate an Ethernet cable. So if the connection is established correctly (u has internets) this should work without any hassle.....unless the opened port on the router is bound to the wifi interface(or a specific IP on the wireless network).

I need more info:

- where's the server on the network (wireless, wired, remote)?

- is this right: the client was connected to the router (wireless) and now it will be connected by a wire (through the powerline adapters)?

- screenshot of the router port forward settings (censor out stuff if you want)

Edited by bochen415

Powerline adapters should be simple devices which hide the fact that they are not just a cable. As bochen suggested, your router probably needs a bit of configuration to allow this network path to be connected to WAN. Other than that, I have found that sometimes simply unplugging an replugging the Powerline adapters fixes many issues with them.

Edited by Curunir

When I run my server on wireless (port 25565, which I already portfowarded before) everything works fine.

But, when I connect to the powerline ethernet it fails to connect to the port. (Everything else works fine, browsing, downloading etc.)

Firewall settings are not enough, he also needs port forwarding. Luckily, these are all handled together in Speedport devices.

I can imagine what is happening. The computer that runs Minecraft has a firewall exception and port forward on the router, but only when connected via wireless. The router treats every network-connected device as a separate computer, even if it's just a different network adapter on the same one. Thus, you need to create another port forward rule for the "other computer", namely your wired ethernet adapter connected via the powerline thing.

If the powerline plugs are more than just stupid cables and have their own MAC adresses, it may be necessary to register those instead. But try with your wired ethernet device first.

And by the way: This all should only be necessary if you're running a server, or open your local game to LAN and want WAN users to join. For a simple client connecting to WAN servers, no configuration should be necessary. Just pointing it out for others who read this.

Edited by Curunir

Firewall settings are not enough, he also needs port forwarding. Luckily, these are all handled together in Speedport devices.

I can imagine what is happening. The computer that runs Minecraft has a firewall exception and port forward on the router, but only when connected via wireless. The router treats every network-connected device as a separate computer, even if it's just a different network adapter on the same one. Thus, you need to create another port forward rule for the "other computer", namely your wired ethernet adapter connected via the powerline thing.

If the powerline plugs are more than just stupid cables and have their own MAC adresses, it may be necessary to register those instead. But try with your wired ethernet device first.

And by the way: This all should only be necessary if you're running a server, or open your local game to LAN and want WAN users to join. For a simple client connecting to WAN servers, no configuration should be necessary. Just pointing it out for others who read this.

this is not accurate enough in most things...

I think we just don't have enough information on the network topology to analyze this issue further...

mac-addresses have nothing to do with routing in general as long as the clients are in the same broadcast domain.

However, as I mensioned before, if you have more than one interface on your server (one for the wired, and one for the wireless connection) you surely also have 2 different ip-addresses to connect to (if not 2 different broadcast domains (seperated by a different network segment, you can calculate this using your subnet mask e.g. if you have a subnet mask of /24 (255.255.255.0) and one interface has an ip of 192.168.1.10 and the other interface has 192.168.2.10 they belong to different broadcast domains and can't communicate directly with each other, in that case, traffic has to be routed).

If your Server is in the same network, wired to your wlan-router and you are connected by wireless and now the connection changed to wired through powerline for you, normally nothing should change for your connection to the server.

Make sure you deactivate your wireless device, because in some cases it gets confused when communicating to the same broadcast domain...

^this in case the server is in the same network as your client...

if your server was connected to the router via wireless, and is now connected by the powerline, it could have gotten a new ip due to the interface change...

in that case, make sure you change any forwarding rules and the ip you connect to in the client ;)

Edited by HeatHunter

do the speedport devices handle wireless and ethernet connections in the internal network on seperate interfaces?

If not (and thats the normal case in most routers) Port Forwarding is not needed as these are still in the same broadcast-domain.

Port Forwarding is just needed in case other users shall join the server over the Internet (WAN) as they can only reach the Wan IP of your router and you have to tell the router to reroute incoming requests to some destination in your internal network (DNAT).

So there are still some informations missing to determine the exact topology Gomo is Using ;)

Speedports do port forwarding not by IP, but by device. The same computer is another device when connected not via wireless, but via cable. The forwarding rule simply has to be changed or amended for the other device.

am I happy that I got set up iptables on my linux router that handles all the connections and routings...

so for me the connections are handled by the interfaces and directions (incoming and outgoing) and the routing is done by Dnatting some port to an internal IP and port...

so I guess in your case its changing, as natting the same external port to different internal ips shouldn't be allowed...

Thanks for all the help guys, in the end.. it turns out that I just needed to change the server IP address so it's same as my new IPv4 address (when using powerline).

EDIT: I had to port-forward this new address as well.

Edited by Gomo