Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garthunos

fps problems

8 posts in this topic

I can play tekkit for about 30 sec with a fps of 60.  then it goes to 1fps i tryed every thing it does not happen with normal minecraft only with mod packs pls help (it happens with all of the mod packs and not just tekkit i am just posting it on this one because i play tekkit the most please help i would love to play even more then 30 sec lol)

Check how much RAM you have allocated to tekkit in the launcher.

To share a few more details, many folks allocate way too much of their available physical RAM to the Technic launcher. If you have 8G of memory, there is no need to allocate 6 of it to the launcher and doing so may actually make your experience much worse. Depending on which mods are in a pack, what textures you use, etc. the java process iteslf can actually use a lot more (java programs, especially big ones like MC tend to act like a gas in that they will expand to fill all the available space). For instance, I run a custom pack that reports 135 mods many of which are big "cornerstone" mods. My system has 8G of physical RAM and I set the launcher to use 1.5G. I have a texture pack that exceeds 80M zipped. Depending on the circumstances I have seen the java process taking as much as 5G of RAM although it usually sits at about 2.5G.

When the java process that is running your client takes too much RAM there isn't enough left over for the rest of the work the operating system needs to do and your whole computer starts running very slowly as a result. Keeping the launcher set to the lowest number you can successfully run your pack/textures/etc. is usually the better option.

To share a few more details, many folks allocate way too much of their available physical RAM to the Technic launcher. If you have 8G of memory, there is no need to allocate 6 of it to the launcher and doing so may actually make your experience much worse. Depending on which mods are in a pack, what textures you use, etc. the java process iteslf can actually use a lot more (java programs, especially big ones like MC tend to act like a gas in that they will expand to fill all the available space). For instance, I run a custom pack that reports 135 mods many of which are big "cornerstone" mods. My system has 8G of physical RAM and I set the launcher to use 1.5G. I have a texture pack that exceeds 80M zipped. Depending on the circumstances I have seen the java process taking as much as 5G of RAM although it usually sits at about 2.5G.

When the java process that is running your client takes too much RAM there isn't enough left over for the rest of the work the operating system needs to do and your whole computer starts running very slowly as a result. Keeping the launcher set to the lowest number you can successfully run your pack/textures/etc. is usually the better option.

how did you dedicate more then 1 gb or pram i dont know how?

plowmanplow,

I'm a little unclear about your explanation re setting aside ram in the Technic Launcher.  Does the ram setting in the Launcher affect just the launcher or does it also affect the application - i.e. Tekkit?

I'm running Tekkit as a client on a system with 8GB of Ram, an Intel Duo Core processor 2.6GHz., Windows 7 64bit and 64 bit java.  Video is pretty weak with Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family.

I am running the Sphax PureBDCraft Texture pack at 32bit (16bit is just unplayable).  All my graphical settings are set to minimums with the exception of Distance which is one step up from the bottom.  The launcher is set to set aside 4GB and use Razor Game Booster.  Finally I am using a 16GB USB stick for ram boost.

...and my game runs at somewhere around 3-6 fps.

If I am reading you correctly the suggestion is to set aside a lesser amount of ram in the Technic launcher?  Yes?

Let me know if I am reading you correctly.  Any boost in speed would be nice!

Thank you.

Best

@Silmenume

Yes, unless you are WAY outside the norms, you'll be fine with 1.5G set in the launcher. This setting is what the launcher uses as a java argument (specifically -Xmx2G for 2gig) when starting the modpack/forge/MC.

The texture sizes are at 32x or 64x etc. The base texture sizes for MC and most mods is 16x so anything over that is considered "HD". 16x textures means that the texture files for a block, as an example, are 16x16 pixels. A 128x pack has 128x128 pixels for each block. As you can see this takes up a LOT more resources.

As for your USB memory stick as a speed booster, I'd be surprised if it added much, but whatevs :)

plowmanplow,

Thanks for tips.  I did knock down the Memory Set aside to 1.5GB as suggested.  I'm not sure if it made much of a difference or not, but I appreciate the good word!

While fiddling I went into my old Magmatic Engine power generation room that I hadn't been in since I got my fusion reactor up and running properly.  Turns out all the Engines were hooked together, cheek to jowl, with Gold Conductive Pipe - lots and lots and lots of CPU cycle draining loops.  I knocked all those down since we weren't using them anymore.  I think I got a fair boost with that bit of clean up.  What surprised me was the Gold Conductive Pipes were showing energy flow in them despite the Engines not running and being completely isolated from any power source.  Some blue and lots of thick red bands within the pipes.  Gah!!

Now if only I can figure out why the game crashes whenever I enter my inventory or when there is any other player on the server!  Both these issues appeared later in the game and I have uninstalled all Technic, Tekkit and Minecraft files and nuking Java.  I don't know what else to do, but that is my problem.

Thanks for the help!

Best

I had this same problem but I dont know how i can decrease my ram for the tekkit launcher or game itself. please help

• Similar Content

• By Sigorth
      When playing vanilla minecraft through vanilla launcher, i get an avarage of 90fps with all settings maxed out and 22 chunks render distance. That's even when i haven't allocated any extra ram to it (so its at like 800mb or something). 
      I think that it is safe to say that my gaming rig handles minecraft decently. It's only a budget gaming rig, but i am happy with it as it gives me 40+fps on games like the witcher 3. 
      Well here comes the problem:
      I want to play modded minecraft, and i liked tekkit and lapito's galacticraft modpack. I installed them and when i run tekkit, i recieve only 20fps. I thought that maybe all the mods was too intesive on my cpu, but i kept looking into it.. just running vanilla minecraft through the tekkit launcher only gives me 40fps and thats unstable as well, meaning i will sometimes see drops to 20fps. I have tried turning down the settings, allocating more ram. I feel like i have tried everything, but i cant seem to get the fps up. I think that my computer will be able to run the game with mods without lag, but maybe since its running java 64 bit it's being unstable? I tried running it through 32 bit, but then the game crashes and tells me i need to allocate more ram (the max is 1gb through 32gig java which i already allocated to it). 
      I can turn down all my settings to barely playable and still have low fps, it doesn't seem to make any improvements at all. Even when in the vanilla game through the technic launcher.
      Here are my specs:

-Amd athlon 4x 845 quad core 3,5ghz processor
      -Ati rx 460 saphire 4gb video card
      -8gb ram
      -240gb ssd (dont know if this is necessary information)
      -Windows 10 64bit

I hope there is someone out there that can help me. 

Btw, i have done these things already:

1. Tried to add the java.exe file in the modpack to the radeon settings so that it would be optimized, but this doesnt work.

2. I have allocated more ram (everything from 1gb to 6gb)

3. I have updated video card drivers

4. I have the newest versions of both 32 and 64bit java

Its worth mentioning that it looks like its the cpu that makes the fps drop. Its at 80-90% when running minecraft (both vanilla and modpacks) and 30-40% when running vanilla on vanilla launcher. The memory seems to be fairly stable at 1-2gb ram with modpack. 
    • By DracOdracir
      Hello everyone!
      First of all, i'm sorry if the topic is in the wrong section but i didn't seem to find a suitable place for my problem and the bug section seemd more aimed at fixing bugs, and this is not a bug.
      I've installed vanilla minecraft from your launcher and installed optifine, better FPS and journey map for version 1.11.2 and whenever i start a single player world for testing i get 20fps at best, i messed with the settings a little bit and i got a maximum of 60 when idle, ~40 when walking around with very frequent 0fps spikes that last around 5 seconds and it's really annoying (i believe this happens when chunks load) and at night, 15-20fps.when wandering around (with the same frequent 0fps spikes) i've even tried installing a texture pack aimed for pvp that promised to increase FPS but the changes are unnoticable, only increasing 1-5fps at most.
      i'm asking for your help because i don't play for over 2 years and ii used to get stable 30fps at all times in version 1.2.5 (i think it was this one) with just Optifine installed and i believe that my pc can run minecraft perfectly. at least with better fps and optifine, i just don't know the perfect settings for my hardware, it seems.
      these are my pc specs (according to systemrequirementslab):
      Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J1800 @ 2.41GHz
      Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
      RAM: 4.0 GB
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

Please help, it's been a huge letdown not being to play like i used to... i also want to play with friends on a server but the problem presists. 
      Thank you for your attention

@Edit: just tried fully vanilla minecraft without optifine or better FPS and i had 60fps idle, 30fps exploriing and no 0fps spikes at all.. ii wish to increase my fps with optifine and better FPS but it seems to make it worse?
    • By Zrolo
      My friend and I wanted to get back into tekkit. I can run tekkit just fine averaging about 50 fps. My friend on the other hand, he cannot. He gets about 4 fps in the MENU screen and can't select to join a server or start a new single player world.

Before anyone asks for specs, he has 16gb of ram. while its running it only uses about 30% of his ram and 40% of his cpu. We have already tried allocating more ram in the launcher but that did not effect anything. He has a better computer than me so can anybody tell me why it runs better for me and not him. Any solutions?
    • By [nexus]
      i download blightfall and it was working fine, however suddenly i only got 0-3 fps and i have restarted my computer and even restored it to the factory setting and optifine doesn't help. (please help me)
    • By SuperShotDK
      The last few days i've started playing Tekkit Classic again and i started building a castle and it's all most done, then I upgraded a double chest to an iron chest and my game crashed and i logged in again and i got besween 0 and 1 FPS and before between 100-240 FPS now i dont know if it's all gone to waste and im very proud that i got to building it and now it's unplayeble so can you help me..... Oops sat alot of Qurotes...... And i have the Crash report...... Maybe its the area im in and it could be something like it but what can i do
      Crash.docx
      Crash 2.docx