fps problems

Garthunos

I can play tekkit for about 30 sec with a fps of 60.  then it goes to 1fps i tryed every thing it does not happen with normal minecraft only with mod packs pls help (it happens with all of the mod packs and not just tekkit i am just posting it on this one because i play tekkit the most please help i would love to play even more then 30 sec lol)

• Discord Moderator

Check how much RAM you have allocated to tekkit in the launcher.

To share a few more details, many folks allocate way too much of their available physical RAM to the Technic launcher. If you have 8G of memory, there is no need to allocate 6 of it to the launcher and doing so may actually make your experience much worse. Depending on which mods are in a pack, what textures you use, etc. the java process iteslf can actually use a lot more (java programs, especially big ones like MC tend to act like a gas in that they will expand to fill all the available space). For instance, I run a custom pack that reports 135 mods many of which are big "cornerstone" mods. My system has 8G of physical RAM and I set the launcher to use 1.5G. I have a texture pack that exceeds 80M zipped. Depending on the circumstances I have seen the java process taking as much as 5G of RAM although it usually sits at about 2.5G.

When the java process that is running your client takes too much RAM there isn't enough left over for the rest of the work the operating system needs to do and your whole computer starts running very slowly as a result. Keeping the launcher set to the lowest number you can successfully run your pack/textures/etc. is usually the better option.

To share a few more details, many folks allocate way too much of their available physical RAM to the Technic launcher. If you have 8G of memory, there is no need to allocate 6 of it to the launcher and doing so may actually make your experience much worse. Depending on which mods are in a pack, what textures you use, etc. the java process iteslf can actually use a lot more (java programs, especially big ones like MC tend to act like a gas in that they will expand to fill all the available space). For instance, I run a custom pack that reports 135 mods many of which are big "cornerstone" mods. My system has 8G of physical RAM and I set the launcher to use 1.5G. I have a texture pack that exceeds 80M zipped. Depending on the circumstances I have seen the java process taking as much as 5G of RAM although it usually sits at about 2.5G.

When the java process that is running your client takes too much RAM there isn't enough left over for the rest of the work the operating system needs to do and your whole computer starts running very slowly as a result. Keeping the launcher set to the lowest number you can successfully run your pack/textures/etc. is usually the better option.

how did you dedicate more then 1 gb or pram i dont know how?

plowmanplow,

I'm a little unclear about your explanation re setting aside ram in the Technic Launcher.  Does the ram setting in the Launcher affect just the launcher or does it also affect the application - i.e. Tekkit?

I'm running Tekkit as a client on a system with 8GB of Ram, an Intel Duo Core processor 2.6GHz., Windows 7 64bit and 64 bit java.  Video is pretty weak with Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family.

I am running the Sphax PureBDCraft Texture pack at 32bit (16bit is just unplayable).  All my graphical settings are set to minimums with the exception of Distance which is one step up from the bottom.  The launcher is set to set aside 4GB and use Razor Game Booster.  Finally I am using a 16GB USB stick for ram boost.

...and my game runs at somewhere around 3-6 fps.

If I am reading you correctly the suggestion is to set aside a lesser amount of ram in the Technic launcher?  Yes?

Let me know if I am reading you correctly.  Any boost in speed would be nice!

Thank you.

Best

• Discord Moderator

@Silmenume

Yes, unless you are WAY outside the norms, you'll be fine with 1.5G set in the launcher. This setting is what the launcher uses as a java argument (specifically -Xmx2G for 2gig) when starting the modpack/forge/MC.

The texture sizes are at 32x or 64x etc. The base texture sizes for MC and most mods is 16x so anything over that is considered "HD". 16x textures means that the texture files for a block, as an example, are 16x16 pixels. A 128x pack has 128x128 pixels for each block. As you can see this takes up a LOT more resources.

As for your USB memory stick as a speed booster, I'd be surprised if it added much, but whatevs :)

plowmanplow,

Thanks for tips.  I did knock down the Memory Set aside to 1.5GB as suggested.  I'm not sure if it made much of a difference or not, but I appreciate the good word!

While fiddling I went into my old Magmatic Engine power generation room that I hadn't been in since I got my fusion reactor up and running properly.  Turns out all the Engines were hooked together, cheek to jowl, with Gold Conductive Pipe - lots and lots and lots of CPU cycle draining loops.  I knocked all those down since we weren't using them anymore.  I think I got a fair boost with that bit of clean up.  What surprised me was the Gold Conductive Pipes were showing energy flow in them despite the Engines not running and being completely isolated from any power source.  Some blue and lots of thick red bands within the pipes.  Gah!!

Now if only I can figure out why the game crashes whenever I enter my inventory or when there is any other player on the server!  Both these issues appeared later in the game and I have uninstalled all Technic, Tekkit and Minecraft files and nuking Java.  I don't know what else to do, but that is my problem.

Thanks for the help!

Best

I had this same problem but I dont know how i can decrease my ram for the tekkit launcher or game itself. please help