1.3 update questions

wolf421

According to the wiki, charged creeper mob spawners will be a thing that can happen.

Um, I don't think that is right. I thought all that was saying was that mods woule be able to set extra information to mob spawners, such as the unused green robe villager, endermen with flowers, and villagers with custom trade offers.

Like 1.1, this part of the update goes to the adventure map makers, making it easier to specify exactly how they want their map. (It also complements the new adventure gamemode, but that also falls into the adventure map category.)

Now I may be wrong, but this is how I took that information.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the SSP/SMP unification thing (that makes SSP run worse :v:) What is the point to 1.3? As in, what does it add to Minecraft that's important? Last thing I can recall was moving the world height to 256.

In my opinion, this update was made to slightly increase the 'adventure' of minecraft. Some examples would be: Adventure Mode, the 2 temples, and slightly more balanced enchantment system.

Another main part of the update was the major change to creative mode, turning it into a much more organized system.

Lastly, many fixes and changes were made, such as cocoa bean growing, drowning not pushing you down, and easier controlled boats.

i'm still puzzled a bit on the adventure mode vs survival. I know adding the wood colors to made products like stairs were coming. The placing upside down stairs happened last update. I kinda got pissed when my suggestions for new blocks got deleted from the MC forum with no notice or pm and I had searched beforehand for anything remotely like my suggestions and found none.

i really hate the ssp-smp conversion aspect of 1.3

Really that's one of the only good things to come out of 1.3 for anyone... unless you like vanilla Minecraft, in which case it doesn't even matter that much. I suppose it's good for us, at least, that they don't care about anyone who plays their game without mods anymore.

Don't forget about the trip wires and the ender chest that they are adding. Grant it we already have player detecting items in a few of the mods as well as the ender chest mod. However I can see many uses for these two items as they are only similar to the mod items while working in their own special way.

Trip wires will create a red stone signal when anything touches the wire. So they can be used for auto activating a teleporter or even a door as well as many other uses. Grant it the trip wire hooks are very ugly and hard to hide.

Ender chests will create a linked inventory that is only accessible by you like alchemy bags but in chest formate. So they can be used for secure item transportation unlike teleport pipes and the chests in the ender chest mod. As all someone has to do is copy your frequency or chest color combo to steal your items. However I for see a lot of issues with pumping items into them and pulling items out due to the inventory being linked to the player.

Now that is out of the way the main thing I'm looking forward to is how easy XP will be to farm as well as the improved enchanting system. As I personally enjoy using enchanted armor and tools over many of the mod items. Especially the amazing picks with fortune 3, unbreaking 3, and efficiency 4 to 5 that not only mine insanely fast and last very long. But also more than double your yield form diamonds, redstone, coal, and most other resources that cannot be macerated. Now when combined with a silk touch pick you get a amazing combo that allows you to store these resources in ore form to mine later. Which frees up inventory room to allow you to mine more per trip.

does any one know how to start up the technic launcher from scratch my technic pack keeps crashing

triple posting, hijacking a thread for no good reason, and trying to hijack said thread into tech help without even providing any info whatsoever. yeah, enjoy your new rank there, genius.

And with a lot of the SMP bugs fixed, both local and online. Which was the point in the first place.

[...]

Besides, most of the good ones are already SMP compatible.

The ghost of this thread called out to me from two days' past with a plaintive meeping that I could not ignore. My meaningful contribution, best served in the voice of Archie Bunker, is this:

Whaaaaat?

Besides ThaumCraft, there aren't many great ones that aren't SMP. Even BC3 has an SMP beta, Direwolf and Co. play it. I know you're opposed to the SSP-SMP merge, not sure why. It runs better on dual core computers (yay multithreading!), the SMP bugs are being fixed (yay unbuggy SMP!), and a unified code base means better, faster coding at Mojang. (yay new features!) If you have a single-core PC, I feel sorry for ya. I really do. But, they can't keep designing for the past; they are looking towards the future.

I know you're opposed to the SSP-SMP merge

You know nothing, since clearly you don't actually read what I write.

If you have a single-core PC, I feel sorry for ya. I really do. But, they can't keep designing for the past; they are looking towards the future.

I have a 3.4 GHz quad-core with 8 GiB of RAM and a GTX 460 with 1 GiB of RAM. For your information.

If you decide to go chasing after the point that whizzed by your head, I suggest bringing a bottle of water, because it's going to be quite a jog.

rofl...i love the single core hatred... The game is coded for java which by itself is coded for single to multi core processors. It's still going to be a while for handheld devices etc to be up to the multi core par of desktop computers so there's still plenty of point to designing things to run decent on single core processors.

Threading just breaks the tasks up into independent execution paths so it can be distributed across multiple cores/processors.

The key is can be, not has to be. A threaded application will run just fine on a single core processor, the OS just runs all the threads on the one core it has.

the OS just runs all the threads on the one core it has.

And unless the programmer has created an absurd number of threads (like, in the dozens or even hundreds), the overhead of the virtual task-switching is near-nil, even on a shitty OS like Windows.

Actually, thinking about it, multi-threaded MC would probably have run worse than now.

Having seen the horror that is MC's source jakj, what do you think the chances are that notch would have had it create a new thread per tile/mob/projectile entity?

No, he doesn't have enough programming skill for that. He would just use threads for primary instantiations of classes that should have been static in the first place (like Explosion). You can't really expect any sophisticated multithreading (even by accident) from someone who turns a simple function call with one-way argument passing into fully-instantiated classes with local storage.

Single inheritance, single unified tree with Object at the top. Less flexible, but less error-prone. I view it as a mid-level language: Less power and control in exchange for less hassle and complexity.