So tell me, what is the best free roam game other than GTA or JC2

MrFly

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on how you define free roam. I don't think I would consider WoW free roam. You seem to be going on size, whereas I would usually take freedom into account(Skyrim is very free, Minecraft, etc.)

You are quite possibly right. i was simply mentioning the fact that if he wants a game to roam in a very large space, then world of warcraft has the 2nd largest space and the best textures. its drawback is that you have to be a certain level for most places. though it pales in comparison to the space that is available in minecraft, ahem, unlimited

Corrected that for you. Everyone forgets about the Farlands... D:

They actually got fixed in a recent version. But if you actually get so far, your world probably takes half of your hard drive.

Also, don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure MC isn't the first procedural generated world. Seems like an idea that would have been exploited a while before.

They actually got fixed in a recent version. But if you actually get so far, your world probably takes half of your hard drive.

Also, don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure MC isn't the first procedural generated world. Seems like an idea that would have been exploited a while before.

You're right about it not being the first procedurally generated world. Minecraft was based partially off the game Infiniminer, which also had such generated worlds.

You're right about it not being the first procedurally generated world. Minecraft was based partially off the game Infiniminer, which also had such generated worlds.

The idea of a procedurally generated would has been around for a while. I am sure there are hundreds of games that have such worlds. It also depends on how you define "infinite". Minecraft is infinite in the sense that you could generate new worlds for ever and always have a different world. This is also true of many dungeon/rogue like games. While the map is finite, there is an infinite amount of floors with an infinite amount of different layouts (also, infinite is only a concept but the number is large enough to be essentially infinite)

A quick Google led me to Elite (a space trading game) that appears to be the most widely recognized game credited with creating "open-world". It should also be mentioned that open-world is different from sandbox. (Minecraft is a sandbox while the Elder Scrolls games are open-world)

How the hell is the farlands related to free roam. all it was, was a bug that cut out a chunk of a mountain or something.

He was referring to the fact that the person he quoted said infinite... that was what he fixed. Generally when someone says FTFY, you need to also read the post that they fixed/quoted for context.

How the hell is the farlands related to free roam. all it was, was a bug that cut out a chunk of a mountain or something.180px-FarLandsCorner.png

That's not it at all. In more ancient versions of mine craft, once you went far enough (About a few millions blocks away from the point 0,0), generation started glitching and the generation was completely broken, a bit like how a TV that's broken only shows snow; the Far Lands are the "TV snow" of MC. When you got to that point, your game started to lag out of existence whatever you were doing, and crashed fast enough, thus why they're considered the limits of the infinite world of MC. Of course, at a few millions blocks away, probably more, it would take years of constant running to get to them legitimately, thus the world is practically infinite.

the far lands existed because of the limitations on floating point precision in the game. you'd start bugging out because the math that handles calculating your position and such would start breaking down (the exact reason it was limited in this way is a little unclear to me, I'm not exactly a 3d game environment expert). at least, that was the explanation I got from some blurb notch wrote about them a long time ago.

the far lands existed because of the limitations on floating point precision in the game. you'd start bugging out because the math that handles calculating your position and such would start breaking down (the exact reason it was limited in this way is a little unclear to me, I'm not exactly a 3d game environment expert). at least, that was the explanation I got from some blurb notch wrote about them a long time ago.

It's got to do with decimal numbers, basically. They get truncated a little, which decreases the generator's "precision" once you go further. Past a certain point, the number will have changed so much from what it's supposed to be that the generation just fails.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely. Buy AC2 first. It's the best one in the series, and then Brotherhood. Revelations is so short and answers so little, you might as well skip ahead to AC3.

I know, I played the first to know the story, then I bought the second one, was epic, got Brotherhood afterwards which was even more epic.

But after that I only watched a few videos about Revelations and decided that the abilty to be able to make and throw bombs like a 3rd rate chemistry teacher wasn't going to be worth the 50€. So I didn't even bother playing it.

The third one on the other hand, well that's an entire other story ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...