So tell me, what is the best free roam game other than GTA or JC2

MrFly

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

parents won't let their child play GTA, but let him have L4D and prototype

clearly the message here is that picking up hookers and then running them over afterwards is wrong, you should just be killing them outright because either they're a zombie, or you are.

queue "my head is full of fuck" image macro.

Of the Elder Scrolls games, Morrowind was the most free roam. The map was giant and had a cool atmosphere. The landscape admittedly didn't look as good as oblivion or skyrim due to graphics limitations, but it was way more exotic and interesting then just "trees" and later "trees and snow". I also felt like "this land is bigger then me" rather then "I am the only thing interesting going on in this fucking place".

I hear there are graphics overhaul mods for it though which is really tempting me to go back to it and see.

Skirim does have some awesome graphics, but gimme a damn fly spell and no-load city boundaries over pretty mountains anyday.

Agreed! I would really kill for an Elder scrolls game where cities are actually big too. The bandit and necromancer populations of skyrim both outnumber honest people living in towns and cities about 500 - 1. Probably more.

But I digress. I think I may make an Elder Scrolls subform instead of chatting about it in this thread. No one really uses the Day Z and Diablo III ones.

Agreed! I would really kill for an Elder scrolls game where cities are actually big too. The bandit and necromancer populations of skyrim both outnumber honest people living in towns and cities about 500 - 1. Probably more.

But I digress. I think I may make an Elder Scrolls subform instead of chatting about it in this thread. No one really uses the Day Z and Diablo III ones.

With my second barbarian, the proportion is more of the order of 1-0. >:-D

• Moderators

I remember when I first saw oblivion at my friends place, I was all "Oooohh look at the grass... look at the hills... LOOK! A deer!! KiLL IT! Run AFTER iT!"

And then came night... oh my god i loved that night sky.

And Skyrim didn't disappoint me on that either :)

Sadly i quit oblivan after a few years, round about when fallout came out. It was the leveling up system that killed the fun. I tried to get the "most" out of my character.

It was all "shit! i hit that imp with magic! i was supposed to get strenght up!" "damn this archery doesnt kill anything!@€!1!"

Dunno why i stopped playing Skyrim, the game has everything I could dream of...

It was probably the overabundance of quests

Population is sadly a victim of the consoles. Though some nice people have remedied that with various mods. I used to have a fallout 3 mod that made it so you couldn't go 100ft without bumping into a caravan, settler migration, or patrol of some sort.

I for one would love a elder scrolls/fallout subforum. I can't bring myself to play vanilla anymore (just like minecraft), but I also can't be arsed to parse through 10 years of morrowind mods to get the good ones again. Some coordinated searching would be nice.

As Neowulf said, there are plenty of mods for pc that remove the load for cities (Open Cities Skyrim - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8058) and make the villages and cities more expansive (Expanded Towns and Villages - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13608) and adds people to the land (Skyrim Live- http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13399, Crowded Solitude V5 - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9117, SIM - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8228)

Also yes an Elder Scrolls sub-board would be good.

Also yes an Elder Scrolls sub-board would be good.

And I would be its self-proclaimed master, reading every thread three or four times out of love for the Elder Scrolls games.

My favorite Elder Scrolls game is probably Oblivion simply because you could generally just wander, find quests, and get interesting things to do. Plus the Shivering Isles were badass - although I almost always chose Dementia; I can't stand too much bright.

With Skyrim I always get the feeling of "I've been here before." It's hard to simply wander in most of Skyrim because there are just so many fuzzucking mountains! They look nice, don't get me wrong, but they really hinder that wanderlust when you either have to break immersion by jumping side to side up a mountain or somehow finding a path to the top. Also there is nothing happening - unless you're right there doing it. If I'm wandering along the icy coast up in the north, everything's so quiet and calm until I arrive and everything falls apart. It's so rare to see monsters - or other humanoids - battling one another (With the exception of mage duels) that I feel very much like I'm the only adventurer out and about, period. If I could meet friendly humanoids (Besides bards) adventuring, exploring, or something, then it'd be a much more immersive game.

And I would be its self-proclaimed master, reading every thread three or four times out of love for the Elder Scrolls games.

My favorite Elder Scrolls game is probably Oblivion simply because you could generally just wander, find quests, and get interesting things to do. Plus the Shivering Isles were badass - although I almost always chose Dementia; I can't stand too much bright.

With Skyrim I always get the feeling of "I've been here before." It's hard to simply wander in most of Skyrim because there are just so many fuzzucking mountains! They look nice, don't get me wrong, but they really hinder that wanderlust when you either have to break immersion by jumping side to side up a mountain or somehow finding a path to the top. Also there is nothing happening - unless you're right there doing it. If I'm wandering along the icy coast up in the north, everything's so quiet and calm until I arrive and everything falls apart. It's so rare to see monsters - or other humanoids - battling one another (With the exception of mage duels) that I feel very much like I'm the only adventurer out and about, period. If I could meet friendly humanoids (Besides bards) adventuring, exploring, or something, then it'd be a much more immersive game.

What do you have against bards? I LOVE bards. I must have invested thousand of gold pieces in the bard industry of Skyrim. I should be the main director of the SBPS (Syndicate of Bards of the Province of Skyrim).

Nothing against bards, per se, just that they're the only real fellow adventurers I've met. Traders, snobby nobles, Thalmor, Soldiers, those I have met but they are not adventurers. Bards are, but the ones I meet tend to be poorly armed and armored, so I must wonder if I will find fellow adventurers of my caliber outside of the ones I beat up in the Bannered Mare.

Nothing against bards, per se, just that they're the only real fellow adventurers I've met. Traders, snobby nobles, Thalmor, Soldiers, those I have met but they are not adventurers. Bards are, but the ones I meet tend to be poorly armed and armored, so I must wonder if I will find fellow adventurers of my caliber outside of the ones I beat up in the Bannered Mare.

Again Adlersch, there are mods for that. I won't link them this time to save space, but check out the Nexus.

• Moderators

And I would be the first to get Kellered by creating the thread "Nude texture packs, which ones do you guys use? And out of curiosity, female gamers; do you use the male ones?"

And I would be the first to get Kellered by creating the thread "Nude texture packs, which ones do you guys use? And out of curiosity, female gamers; do you use the male ones?"

You get kellered unless it turns out you use both the male and female textures to keep things fair. :downs:

Yeah I'll make the Elder Scrolls subform today. I can see the potential and I'd acutally like to use it.

You get kellered unless it turns out you use both the male and female textures to keep things fair. :downs:

Yeah I'll make the Elder Scrolls subform today. I can see the potential and I'd acutally like to use it.

The hype about the other two games has died down, hardly anyone uses those last time I checked, so it will be awesome to have a new section for TES

• 2 months later...

world of warcraft is possibly the 2nd largest free roam fame. minecraft being the largest due to its ever-expanding maps.

It really depends on how you define free roam. I don't think I would consider WoW free roam. You seem to be going on size, whereas I would usually take freedom into account(Skyrim is very free, Minecraft, etc.)

Saints Row 2 for PC. Full of bugs, but if you install Gentlemen of the Row mod, all of those bugs get fixed. SR2 is honestly one of the best games I have ever played. Seriously. Saints Row: The Third is NOTHING compared to SR2. It has great coop, too!