Yogscast vs Direwolf20

NoopDawg77

I dunno, I've never really watched Yogscast videos, but when they spend an hour espousing on how important it is to get reeds, do they then proceed to ignore every wild reed they see, and leave their reed farm unharvested for about 20 cycles worth?

More like they plant a reed farm, harvest it a few times, whack eachother with sticks and break most of the reeds, get distracted, and never go back and fix it.

I agree that Yogscast is more for entertainment than actually learning mods.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yogscast: Simon, Lewis, Sips and Sjin

They know very little about Tekkit but they are hilarious.

Yogscast Duncan

The only person in that series that actualy knows what he's doing. Quite funny when he wants too.

Direwolf20:

TOO DAMN BORING! I just can't handle his tutorials.

So I would say the best is Duncan.

Both have their own stuff, good things and bad things. The Jaffa Cake factory the Yogscast are building is going nowhere though. When i started watching the series, i thought the course of the jaffa cakes will go like this:

1. There are three people. Two newbies, Lewis and Simon, and one pro, Duncan.

2. Duncan teaches Lewis and Simon how to play Tekkit.

3. Together they make a huge factory and make tons of jaffa cakes.

But no, the whole course goes like this:

1. There are three people. Two newbies, Lewis and Simon, and one pro, Duncan.

2. Duncan teaches Lewis and Simon how to play Tekkit.

3. i has dis peice of paper so u cant walk heer

4. No jaffa cakes for anyone.

What im saying is that the Yogscast Tekkit series is going over to the "two companies fight over stupid reasons and cant just leave each other alone into peace" side rather than the "two friendly companies are working in peace and not giving a cows horn on what the other company is doing". Though when you think about it, the series would get quite boring if the whole deal would be just Duncan yelling at Simon on how not to make jaffas.

But what about Duncan's or Sjin's lets plays? I havent followed Sjin's that much so i have no opinion on it, only that Sips is a very bossy man. Its nice that Duncan concentrates on the building side of Tekkit. Sometimes watching Duncan's lets play though is pain, because of all the small mistakes he makes (yes, i hate small details that make stuff harder than it should be).

And on we go to the Direwolf20 side. I personally dont find anything bad about his lets play/server play. There are some few annoying things such as Direwolf's acting skill, but when you take it from a different perspective, its kinda funny.

TL;DR

Yogscast cant play Tekkit. Direwolf is cool.

I like the Yogscast for their Tekkit videos but I cannot stand them on their own. To me, Simon and Lewis are only tolerable around Duncan, though Sjin is pretty cool as well. I'm not a huge fan of stupid humour, the kind where people run around without thought to what they are doing and often get hurt as a result, and that is basically what the Yogscast run on. Duncan is wonderful, even if he is monotone, and I can't stand Sips, and Hannah is very lovely to listen to. Sjin I can't watch on his own because his voice is a little too high pitched on my speakers, it makes him sound really weird, but it is only with his voice.

DireWolf is a pretty great guy, he does well with his mod spotlights, but I feel he takes too much time to get around to doing things. I often skip episodes in his series just because I don't watch to watch 40 minutes of him building the same thing. That being said, I can see why his videos are often seen as tutorials and I owe my logistics system in SSP to him.

All in all, I'd say the Yogscast has a higher mainstream entertainment value, while Dire has more loyal fans and less hate. To me, they both are going to lose longevity if they don't start trying new things, but I enjoy both of their content. I do prefer Dire's, but the Yogscast has an entertainment value when I'm sad. I'd say you can't compare the two, because they do completely different things, but if I had to choose someone to watch, I'd probably pick Dire, as I find his voice soothing and his need to call things "awesome" and "cool" rather adorable.

Yogscast: Simon, Lewis, Sips and Sjin

They know very little about Tekkit but they are hilarious.

Yogscast Duncan

The only person in that series that actualy knows what he's doing. Quite funny when he wants too.

Direwolf20:

TOO DAMN BORING! I just can't handle his tutorials.

So I would say the best is Duncan.

I'm gonna have to disag ree with you here. While I agree that Duncan knows the most bout tekkit of the yogscast, sjin and sips fake their knowledge (or lack of knowledge) of tekkit, becuase in episode three of Suncan's let's play tekkit, sjin has an amazing company and set up going, while in his rechnic singleplayer world, sips shows some intelligence not seen in his and sjin's tekkit series. As for Lewis, he shows some intelligence when he sets up the buildcraft sorting system ( the fact that he uses buildcraft instead of redpower shows his ignorance though), while Simon has no idea what to do. There is also the fact that many of the episodes are scripted, or partly scripted. As for Direwolf, I haven't watched many of his videos, but theones I have watched have been informative, although slighty boring. So I have to agree with your final assesment that Duncan is the best, as his videos are both informative and entertaining, although it can be very frustrating when he makes tiny mistakes that end up making things harder for him in the long run, like not seeing a material in a chest, but nobody is perfect.

This is even a topic of discussion? This is beyond apples and oranges: It's more like cantaloupes versus chipmunks. Like blueberries and Reba McEntire. Like wicker baskets and a plasma screen. They just can't be compared in any rational way.

I'm gonna have to disag ree with you here. While I agree that Duncan knows the most bout tekkit of the yogscast, sjin and sips fake their knowledge (or lack of knowledge) of tekkit, becuase in episode three of Suncan's let's play tekkit, sjin has an amazing company and set up going, while in his rechnic singleplayer world, sips shows some intelligence not seen in his and sjin's tekkit series. As for Lewis, he shows some intelligence when he sets up the buildcraft sorting system ( the fact that he uses buildcraft instead of redpower shows his ignorance though), while Simon has no idea what to do. There is also the fact that many of the episodes are scripted, or partly scripted. As for Direwolf, I haven't watched many of his videos, but theones I have watched have been informative, although slighty boring. So I have to agree with your final assesment that Duncan is the best, as his videos are both informative and entertaining, although it can be very frustrating when he makes tiny mistakes that end up making things harder for him in the long run, like not seeing a material in a chest, but nobody is perfect.

I only watch Sips and Sjin when they are togheter. Same thing with Simon and Lewis. The Yogscast are funnier in numbers, so I just ignore their videos when they are alone (Except Duncan who is very informative)

Lewis IS smart IF you give him time to learn stuff and a good teacher. Simon is better mining Diggy Diggy Holing than relying on machines to do that for him.

Simon is a lot smarter than he acts (because acting dumb gets more views, really). Every once in a while, he'll just whip out terms that even I, after having gone to university and reading plenty of books in my time, have never heard. Like "nominitive determinism", which makes perfect sense as soon as you hear it, but even if you know those two words, you might not put them together immediately in your head. And this in a Final Fantasy video.

Simon is a lot smarter than he acts (because acting dumb gets more views, really). Every once in a while, he'll just whip out terms that even I, after having gone to university and reading plenty of books in my time, have never heard. Like "nominitive determinism", which makes perfect sense as soon as you hear it, but even if you know those two words, you might not put them together immediately in your head. And this in a Final Fantasy video.

Yeah, You're right.

I should have noticed after watching so many TB and Jesse videos...

Ah, TotalBiscuit.

He would frankly be a god of mod reviews whether he liked minecraft or not.

[/fanboy]

I find that most of the people on this forum who watch yogscast also tend to watch totalbiscuit and jesse cox. Although since tb and jesse stopped playing terraria, i find that i haven't been watching them as often.

I find that most of the people on this forum who watch yogscast also tend to watch totalbiscuit and jesse cox. Although since tb and jesse stopped playing terraria, i find that i haven't been watching them as often.

They haven't stopped.

Both Jesse ( Revenge of the Q&A 2 OR 3 OR 4, I don't remember wich one) And Totalbiscuit (in his latest vlog) said they would keep doing it, since their schelude is more open now.

And I didn't expect so many people here to know about them since TB said he'd never play minecraft.