I think I summed up Minecraft modpacks quite well

Silent

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me to quote a reply I recieved.

""""I hate tekkit because it stole peoples work and made money off of it.""""

This is beautiful. This single comment resumes the whole drama surrounding Technic. Stupid kids hating on something they're not even trying to understand.

This is beautiful. This single comment resumes the whole drama surrounding Technic. Stupid kids hating on something they're not even trying to understand.

I'm still considering whether it's even worth it replying. 9/10 replys I recieved were FTB fanbois

Ah the tired old rumor about technic due to some idiot posting a comment about the donate links going to the technic devs instead of the modders. When its been confirmed that they are copied right from the modders official mod posts.

You have to actually apply for a copyright. What they have is called intellectual property rights. because it is an IP of a derivative work, the only legal action they have (until they actually apply for a copyright) is DMCA takedowns. That's why technic is still here.

Actually, in most countries (those that have ratified the berne convention) the grating of copyright is automatic (Link to berne convention).

EDIT: Left the page open too long, so did not see

Actually, as long as the mod shows it's original and enhances the game, they could easily get a derivative work copyright. This would allow them to sue. They could be allowed monetary compensation if they could prove damages.

Actually, in most countries (those that have ratified the berne convention) the grating of copyright is automatic (Link to berne convention).

Regarding the legality of a compilation of a set of mods, of which the original authors potentially hold no copyright in the first place as that cannot be decided by neither the Mod Author or Mojang, but actually has to be contested in the court of law. Durham Industries, Inc. v. Tomy Corp 630 F.2d 905 (2d Cir, 1980)

directly from the pastebin. Might want to try reading it.

Hating tekkit has become the equivalent of joining a gaming clan / group.

Without any knowledge you can watch and listen to some very popular twitch streams and feel part of a group and feel belonging. As you and your fellow players enjoy your common interest of MC and hating tekkit.

Yes you can blame mindless kids for not researching the facts themselves. But when people are spouting their own brand of hatred and have such following the facts no longer matter, as they can be conveniently drowned out in any public place where such discussions take place.

imo these myths are so rampant because people who do know better don't see it in their interests to heal the community or put people straight..

The most sickening trend is seeing seemingly intelligent MC veteran names being taken in by the hype and miss information lately.

Divide and conquer.

I would think that the mods are copyrighted works by themselves (forge is the one probably in dispute). So the mod authors are not saying that the modded minecraft is their work as a good proportion of the code is mojang's. They are claiming copyright over their changes, which in the physical world is harder than in the digital world. So getting Minecraft and modifying it is like taking the original uncle sam moneybox and then getting a tool/machine and making the changes to it so it is like the one that is infringing. The original moneybox is a work and the changes are a work. (maybe a bad example, just can't see a good one)

I guess you guys find discussing this interesting, but don't get confused and think it means anything really. Don't forget the second half about proving damages, since we at Technic accept no donations, make substantial effort to get most if not all of the modders money (both direct donations and directing others to do so) and we pay to maintain our infrastructure ourselves. Even that aside though, Greenwolf echoed me when he said that the problem isn't legality, it's attitude. Finding out who's right and who is wrong in the eyes of whatever law applies won't magically bridge communities and bring us all together. What will is realizing that it doesn't matter and what's important is a productive and open modding environment with the focus on the best end user experience.

tbh I skipped any posts that had the words legal or illegal in them.

Not just on this subject, but I find amateur internet layers the dullest and most useless discussions on the entire net.

But yes, I do find the pack mentality and social aspect of the "rights and wrongs of tekkit" interesting...

How intelligent people can ignore facts, and form their own view on a subject to suit their needs or objectives, or be led in a certain direction just to fit in or be too afraid to speak their mind and go against the trend in fear of being excluded from the group etc.

I would love to know the active number of tekkit / technic users. As I would wager they are a silent majority.

Maybe because of previous lack of choice, but I can't help but think many people who say they hate tekkit are in fact past or active users of the product.

I guess you guys find discussing this interesting, but don't get confused and think it means anything really. Don't forget the second half about proving damages, since we at Technic accept no donations, make substantial effort to get most if not all of the modders money (both direct donations and directing others to do so) and we pay to maintain our infrastructure ourselves. Even that aside though, Greenwolf echoed me when he said that the problem isn't legality, it's attitude. Finding out who's right and who is wrong in the eyes of whatever law applies won't magically bridge communities and bring us all together. What will is realizing that it doesn't matter and what's important is a productive and open modding environment with the focus on the best end user experience.

I guess one thing which has caused the backlash against technic is that modders can't even ask for you not to distribute the mod and have their request respected. If they know about all you are doing for them and still basically say "Don't help me!", do you say "I will help you regardless of whether you want help" or do stop helping them (expressing your desire to help them)?

To me the whole copyright issue is null and void in this matter. As the true issue is one of respect between the technic devs and the modders which was pointed out a few times by the modders themselves. Basically the technic devs disrespected them in the past by including their mod in the pack with out asking for permission or showing the common courtesy of notifying them. Which are items that a lot of them specifically request to be done. In failing to do so they disrespected the modders wishes to maintain control of their mod which naturally pissed them off and the community.

You can argue all you want about whether or not the modders are justified in this request or not but it will never change the fact of the matter. So until the issue of respect is fully addressed and taken care of things will not change.

Thankfully it appears the technic devs are doing a rather good job at trying to fix said issue.

The only people being disrespectful at this point are the users, not the Technic team nor the modders (excluding a select few, of course...).

Yep it is akin to someone putting a keep off the grass sign on their lawn and getting pissed off when someone ignores it. Then reacting by adding a barbed wire fence around said yard. No matter how you look at it some one is going to get hurt and it usually will be a innocent bystander.

Yep it is akin to someone putting a keep off the grass sign on their lawn and getting pissed off when someone ignores it. Then reacting by adding a barbed wire fence around said yard. No matter how you look at it some one is going to get hurt and it usually will be a innocent bystander.

Putting a bear trap on your doorstep to stop someone leaving fruit baskets.

Putting a bear trap on your doorstep to stop someone leaving fruit baskets.

Wait, is there a problem with doing that?

Hang on, just going to remove the present I left for those fruit basket people...

Does this explain why I got arrested 3 times in the last month for assaulting passers by?

To be fair, the fruit basket recipient may have a severe allergic reaction to citrus. To someone like that, a fruit basket is akin to someone leaving a hangman's noose or a bomb.

They're just rightfully defending themselves against hidden citrus wielding psychopaths who obviously want them dead.

To be fair, the fruit basket recipient may have a severe allergic reaction to citrus. To someone like that, a fruit basket is akin to someone leaving a hangman's noose or a bomb.

They're just rightfully defending themselves against hidden citrus wielding psychopaths who obviously want them dead.

Seems legit.

You found me out!